Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 18-04-2008, 15:29   #201
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Can't wait to read the Karin Slaughter book - loved her previous ones.

Currently reading Mr Majestyk by Elmore Leonard. first novel I've read of his and I'm really enjoying it. Great for reading on the train.
Old 18-04-2008, 16:09   #202
Guest 10192
Trusted User

Finished I am Legend and wasn't impressed at all tbh. Very poor plot and no suspense or tension or much for that matter.

God only knows how the film is after people say that the book was better.

Going to read "Lynch on Lynch" next which should be interesting.
Old 18-04-2008, 16:22   #203
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
Well I've decided to go high brow for my next book and have a read of Dant'e "The Divine Comedy"

Last edited by simonmac; 18-04-2008 at 16:22.
Old 19-04-2008, 00:58   #204
pythons
...word to your mother!

I've just come back from holiday and I managed to fit in a couple of books.

The God Delusion
I finished it off at the start of my holiday and I enjoyed reading it but as I mentioned in a previous post, I think he was really preaching to the converted in my case. However it was interesting to read some of his reasoning etc and did provide me with a different perspective on a number of areas which perhaps I hadn't fully considered previously (i.e. religion and children etc) as well as why is is so vocal and challenging of blind faith.

I Am Legend
I read it having seen and quite enjoyed the recent movie (much to my surprise I might add) and seeing people here mention it a number of times. The book was a lot lighter than I expected it to be and was probably only a few hours worth of reading but I certainly enjoyed what there was. It was quite different to the recent movie version and a fair bit darker overall, although it does come across a little dated now - but perhaps that adds a certain charm? I haven't really read a great deal of horror previously, I think I'm far less inclined towards the far-fetched/fantasy genres in general. But this was worth a read, it satisfied my curiosity and certainly helped me to while away a few hours lounging by the pool.

Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind
I have to be completely honest and say that up until now I have always thought Derren Brown was a bit of a knobber. But a friend of mine insisted that he read his book and rather enjoyed it so with a little bit of trepidation I got stuck in. Overall I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting and he actually comes across quite well and is very up front and even humorous at times. It's broken down into a number of areas and talks about some of the skills/techniques that he combines/pulls from in order to apply his craft. For me the section on memory improvement alone was worth the price of the book and I can honestly say that my memory has already improved significantly, the memory techniques he mentions were all brand new to me and I found them really easy to start applying (to test them out as it were). I now fully expect to start remembering the names of the people I meet at social events, for the first time in my life. As it turns out he's an atheist but was formerly a mild mannered, eccentrically Christian lad and he talks about his beliefs a little bit and his personal reasons for change. He also talks about the God Delusion a number of times which fitted in quite nicely as it was still so fresh in my mind. Overall I'd say that some of it is more useful than the rest but when put together it makes quite a fun read, the memory section is excellent though and I would recommend it to anyone! I might even give him a second chance on TV (but then again ).

No Country For Old Men
I read this having seen and enjoyed the movie but maybe having been left a little puzzled. I found the book filled in some of the blanks/back story and to be honest the book and movie are really very similar. The dialogue in the book is written in a strong western accent which I really didn't enjoy. I guess I can accept that this is partly necessary to setup the characters, but more often than not I ended up feeling as though I were reading an illiterate child's text messages. But I enjoyed reading the book and I now look forward to watching the movie again, I think I might have more of an appreciation of the characters having read the book. Chigur is a fascinatingly evil character and while part of you hates him a small part of you seems to almost want to root for him at times.. very odd. Having thought about it though, I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed the book quite as much if I wasn't relating it back to the movie/actors performances. I don't think I would be inclined to seek out any of the authors other material based on this alone.

Now I need to pick my next book, there are quite a few books referenced in The God Delusion and Tricks Of The Mind so I might try some of those, perhaps Snake Oil and Other Preoccupations could be on the cards.

Mark
Old 20-04-2008, 15:57   #205
rumbletum
Trusted User

Just finished The Straw Men - Michael Marshall a very good thriller. Have read his earlier stuff (as Michael Marshall Smith) but this was his first non sci-fi book I've tried. Need to check out his others now.

Last edited by rumbletum; 20-04-2008 at 15:58.
Old 20-04-2008, 17:31   #206
Bish

I've only read 5 books so far this year, here they are.

Wilbur Smith - Seventh Scroll
I read this straight after River God and despite being set in the present day it was just as enjoyable. I think reading it so soon after RG helped as well although you don't need to have read the first one.

Stephen Booth - Dancing With The Virgins
The second Ben Cooper book and while decent enough to make me want to read the rest in the series I thought it wasn't as good as Black Dog.

Richard Matheson - I Am Legend
I've been meaning to read this for ages even before the film was announced which I saw a few weeks before reading this. As good as it is I found it a little disappointing more due to the fact that it felt like a short story rather than a novel. Definitely one to pick up and read straight through.

Jeremy Clarkson - The World According to Clarkson
A bit hit and miss which I suppose is to be expected as it's just a collection of his newspaper columns.

Mo Hayder - Pig Island
I was very disappointed with this one as it looked a fantastic read. I didn't like the dual narrative and the latter part of the book is poor, the ending especially. The only interest in the second half of the book comes from the character of Angeline.
Old 20-04-2008, 20:34   #207
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Richard Matheson - I Am LegendDefinitely one to pick up and read straight through.
Do many people do this with books in general? I don't think i've ever sat and read a book all the way through in one sitting, no matter how good it is. I find reading a more laborious pastime than say watching a movie.
Old 20-04-2008, 20:38   #208
Bish

I know some people do although I it's not something I have ever done. I read Legend in two sessions and it's a fairly short book and a fast reader would polish it off in no time.
Old 20-04-2008, 20:40   #209
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Its almost a short story, if you've a decent reading speed 2-3 hours will probably do it.
Old 20-04-2008, 20:46   #210
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
My attention span couldn't last that long on a book. I'm up to chapter 4 and have probably taken 2 hours just for that.

I won't be trying War & Peace anytime soon.
Old 20-04-2008, 20:54   #211
Richie
Trusted User

I still can't fathom how Catherine reads several books a weekend, I've been reading The Woods for weeks now and even though I'm really enjoying it I've still got 140 pages to go!
Old 20-04-2008, 21:15   #212
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

think you'll find its 2-3 books A WEEK i just update each weekend.

So 15th i'd finished Great gatsby. And since then its just been

I don't know how she does it a so-so women working in the city and juggling her work and babies and marriage. Was only 20p at the charity shop.

Started The woman in white by wilkie collins as its a top 100 book and seems okay so far, but its LONG (500 very dense pages). for light relief i;m also reading the 4th Dorophy koomson The cupid effect which is a shame as i will finish off all her books now (within a month) and have to wait for her to write some more.

Also order 6 new books (classics) to go with the 6 i ordered last week. So thats 17 books purchased in a week. BAD ME.
Old 20-04-2008, 21:23   #213
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Catherine, if you are determined to read so much then why don't you read anything good?
Old 20-04-2008, 21:37   #214
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Currently reading Mr Majestyk by Elmore Leonard.
Good book.

I'm half way through Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Baghdad's Green Zone by Rajiv Chandrasekaran. Which is all about the American forces in Bagdad. Brilliant book and it would be fantastically funny if it wasn't true.
Old 20-04-2008, 22:09   #215
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
think you'll find its 2-3 books A WEEK i just update each weekend.
Even so!
Old 21-04-2008, 06:53   #216
cjanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Catherine, if you are determined to read so much then why don't you read anything good?
as i read for fun not for an english lit degree.

have enjoyed everything i have read so far this year (well not the new patricia cornwall book).

has every tv show you watched this year worthy and intellectual? not slipped in the occasional "colin and justin do up a house" or "the real lives of some top models"

(and i wouldn't say things like the great gatsby/women in white/pride and prejustice/around the world in 80 days/sense and sensibility were crap choices either, though i haven't enjoyed them as much as some of the other books i've read)

bunch of book snobs round here
Old 21-04-2008, 07:18   #217
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I'm not referring to literary classics, even I can't enjoy reading most of them. My main staple is sci-fi/fantasy since I find them to be so much more creatively entertaining and well written than any other genre out there. I find I rarely enjoy a book when I try to go outside of that (with a few exceptions, Of Mice and Men being the most recent).

And yes, I can honestly say I've only watched good TV this year being my main form of entertainment I have become extremely discerning!

I was just wondering if you ever experiment with genres you're not used to or stick to chick lit for a reason? I'd be interested in your opinion on something like A Song of Ice & Fire.
Old 21-04-2008, 07:28   #218
cjanderson

i mostly read crime/serial killer books. But also chick lit, travel humour, classic kids books, some sci fi (i-robot this year), some man lit (mike gayle/matt beaumont).

so yep, i do read a lot of different genres. But i am a chick hence i find chick lit enjoyable as well
Old 21-04-2008, 07:54   #219
Guest 18624
Hot busty wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletum View Post
Just finished Skin Privilege - Karin Slaughter, another Grant County book, same standards as the others really but with a real ending!

tell me about it! I sat there for ages agape!

Last edited by Headstar; 21-04-2008 at 07:55.
Old 21-04-2008, 07:58   #220
rumbletum
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstar View Post
tell me about it! I sat there for ages agape!
Me too, had to re-read the last couple of pages to see if I'd read it correctly.

Have you read her letter about it on her website?