Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 13-08-2007, 20:50   #61
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

If the football analogy is anything to go by, it's no wonder I started off with HD-DVD: I support Palace.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 21:12   #62
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
The more deadkenny posts the more desperate the situation looks for hd-dvd. Hell I may just go and buy a PS3 right now!
Funny the same was being said of the likes of Camaj's posts not long ago .

What I have noticed though is the Blu-Ray camp is a lot more defensive (almost abusive) in postings around the net when debates come up. Maybe that's why it's "winning". It's more about who's shouting loudest I think than actually what's better (and technically there's little in it, the difference is mostly politics).
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 21:14   #63
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Can be had elsewhere for £5 more but you get a game too.
Quote:
Do some research.

£8.40 dearer to be more precise.
Come on Lou you know you can't discuss this on here.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 21:44   #64
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny View Post
Funny the same was being said of the likes of Camaj's posts not long ago .

What I have noticed though is the Blu-Ray camp is a lot more defensive (almost abusive) in postings around the net when debates come up. Maybe that's why it's "winning". It's more about who's shouting loudest I think than actually what's better (and technically there's little in it, the difference is mostly politics).

Politics is long gone. That was last year. HD-DVD has not built on it's advantage or gained the extra studio support it needs to survive. It can't survive without support and in the last 7 months it hasn't gained any more than when it started. It's lost it's advantage by inaction. Blu-ray is outselling and outnumbering HD-DVD now.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 22:05   #65
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
Ok, so would you be happy with buying an HD-DVD player next week, and starting to buy discs on the format to support it? If not you're not helping it's cause at all.
I'd be happier buying HD DVD with no worries about region coding than be forced to import a US Blu-Ray player (at higher cost).

However the only reason I wouldn't necessarily buy one next week is I'm waiting for the cheap Chinese players (and believe me, they are coming. No chance of that with Blu-Ray and the Chinese will ultimately drive the market). Not only that but I'm through with double-dipping so buying first generation discs is a bit foolish when better versions will always come along.

My 'support' of HD DVD is more through refusing to back Blu-Ray . Though it's tempting to order Blade Runner on HD DVD at it's cheap price even if I don't buy a player for years

No worries about HD DVD disappearing. It will never happen (at least not unless Blu-Ray goes as well ). Doesn't even matter if it's selling less. Both niche formats, so both will trickle along with negligible sales for many years to come. Meanwhile the vast majority will stick with cheap DVDs for the next 5 to 10 years.

Actually, I'm beginning to think that the Internet will succeed with HD more than either of these formats. Once speeds are increased and codecs improved, we'll likely be downloading HD movies rather than using disc media.

Last edited by DeadKenny; 13-08-2007 at 22:08.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 22:10   #66
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny View Post

Both niche formats, so both will trickle along with negligible sales for many years to come. Meanwhile the vast majority will stick with cheap DVDs for the next 5 to 10 years.
Well you say that, but DVD wasn't beating VHS sales until about 2003, and I think we'd both agree that DVD had 'arrived' at least a couple of years before.

Quote:
However the only reason I wouldn't necessarily buy one next week is I'm waiting for the cheap Chinese players (and believe me, they are coming. No chance of that with Blu-Ray and the Chinese will ultimately drive the market).
Well good luck with that, but I honestly think it would be like buying a betamax player in 1992.

Last edited by thescrounger; 13-08-2007 at 22:16.
Old 13-08-2007, 22:29   #67
Guest 1924

I was originally looking at getting an xbox 360 hd-dvd drive to go alongside my htpc laptop but see no point now. Rang around Choices and Blockbuster in my area and it seems to be blue-ray all the way.

This is what joe punter will see and buy the player for (or a PS3), he will not ask "ahh but are the films region coded?" nor will he say, "but I want to watch a certain film that may get released at some possible point in the future so I won't buy into blueray just yet in case it get released on HD-DVD instead."

They will stand there looking at all the films they can buy and rent then vote with their wallets.

As for Star Wars being released as a HD-DVD exclusive does anyone really think that if the market for blueray is there then Luca$ etc will ignore that market?

I like Star Wars as much as the next guy but I would not buy into a whole format just for it, if that where the case I would have a Laserdisc player and all the original non CGI versions.

I think that Microsoft has missed a trick here, they should have made a hd-dvd as standard in the elite version and sell the add on drive at near cost. If they had done that then a 360 would be seen as a more viable alternative to a PS3 for movies.

The elite version of the 360 seems like a waste of time especially now it looks like new "regular" 360's have the HDMI port, although I may be wrong about this.

Time will tell anyways, but my £ is on blueray, and as I said earlier I do not own either and I originally favored HD-DVD because I dislike Sony's propriatory approach to things. But as a one stop solution for films and games (when they appear) and other "media hub" stuff it does look hard to beat on a £ basis. I think that when they come down to the £200-£250 range then many more people will be tempted.
Guest 1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 22:36   #68
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:

As for Star Wars being released as a HD-DVD exclusive does anyone really think that if the market for blueray is there then Luca$ etc will ignore that market?
Blu-ray is more his bag I think anyway.
Old 13-08-2007, 23:17   #69
Guest 1924

Just had a few more thoughts now I am putting my mind to this, as I am no expert in such matters please feel free to rip me apart on this...

I get the feeling that Region coding in HD formats is very much on the back burner. It is not implemented at in in HD-DVD(?) and seems to have indifferent take up on blueray. I seem to remember from an early stage with DVD that region coding was a real issue for the early adopters and then the general public. This became a non-issue with region hacks and mod chips for players. I certainly remember buying a player and the number one "feature" I required was that it was multi region. When joe public could buy any regular player and put in a code (not always necessary) then order from the like of Play a cheaper R1 DVD with more features the studios gave up as they were selling more product full stop.

To me now the emphasis seems on copy protection and DRM. DVD copies are a lost cause, you only have to visit any car boot etc to see that. When DVD went mass market the market pirates were right behind it because people were using DVD players on regular TV's etc and the drop in quality was hardly if at all noticeable.

HD films are seen as a "quality" and niche market for now. In order to watch a HD film then you not only need a HD player or a decent PC but also a decent display as well. When my uncle popped round the other day in the middle of me watching Matrix Revolutions he immediately said "wow is that hd?". My point is that when more people are exposed to the benefits to be gleaned from a decent setup WITH a decent display they will not settle for ropey copies of films where all the flaws will be visible on their nice new tvs's. Hence the emphasis being on the copy protection aspect of things.

I know that films are already being ripped from HD discs and broadcast HD services but these are only available to computer users and require some technical skill other that put it in and press play.

I realise that some of this is not thought out particularly well but it is late

p.s. I think that if HD-DVD had more supporters like deadkenny then It would have a much better chance.

Last edited by jester; 13-08-2007 at 23:22. Reason: credit where due to deadkenny
Guest 1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 07:17   #70
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
Come on Lou you know you can't discuss this on here.
What DVDWorldUSA?

If you contact Tony he will probably price-match as he did for me.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 09:16   #71
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Quote:
What DVDWorldUSA?

If you contact Tony he will probably price-match as he did for me.
...it's not on the site, do you have to phone to make a special order?
Old 14-08-2007, 09:16   #72
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Try emailing him
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 10:00   #73
HenryKrinkle

Ahh, I've found it...£399! Did he pricematch you down to the VG+ price??
Old 14-08-2007, 10:19   #74
Andy
Logomotive

I can't find the link... so tempted for a US PS3
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 12:45   #75
HenryKrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I can't find the link... so tempted for a US PS3
...from the homepage just search for 'playstation 3', it's about half way down
Old 15-08-2007, 08:29   #76
Andy
Logomotive

I must be blind... can see the link for games, but not consoles... will they price match the cheaper price if you mail them?
Old 15-08-2007, 08:37   #77
HenryKrinkle

Andy, here's the link... http://http://www.dvdworldusa.com/shopexd.asp?id=51490

...I emailed them yesterday with the exact same question, I'll let you know what they say
Old 15-08-2007, 12:26   #78
bigb
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
...from the homepage just search for 'playstation 3', it's about half way down
won't you still have to pay import duty etc?
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 13:24   #79
Andy
Logomotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
Andy, here's the link... http://http://www.dvdworldusa.com/shopexd.asp?id=51490

...I emailed them yesterday with the exact same question, I'll let you know what they say
Thanks muchly... please do let me know

There won't be any import duty as they pay the VAT is that right?
Old 15-08-2007, 15:24   #80
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
I dislike Sony's propriatory approach to things.
Only Sony's propriatory approach? Didn't the fact that HD DVD is propriatory put you off? I think it's important that the whole industry back a new format (or as close as possible). It's why DVD succeeded

The whole RC thing shouldn't be an issue. Early adoptors are usually aware that importing hardware and software from the US is the wisest choice for British (and european) consumers. If I had an HD DVD player I'd be importing all my discs from the US anyway. By the time it's cheaper to buy from a British supplier, there will be plenty of region free players just not from Sony (and others?).
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote