Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 14-04-2007, 18:48   #141
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
if the ending should indeed be taken as they insist then it's incredibly depressing. I'm going to stick with my interpretation that the waking up thing was a delusion within a delusion and that throwing himself off the building returned him to his own head in '73. Something I thought they had signposted by the fact that he didn't feel pain back in the present.

The alternative is that when it was all over because he was dead, no use kidding yourself that he was going to be living happily ever after in the 1973 fantasy.
The problem with this is that the very premise of the follow-up series, Ashes to Ashes, relies on the fact that Sam gets back to the present day, and writes down all his experience for the female DCI to read, in order to re-create Gene Hunt for the next series.

The problem there of course is that she'll know right from the very beginning that it's all a delusion. I'm hoping that the writers have some kind of twist/plot device that will take the basis of the show onto a different/new level.
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 18:57   #142
Hex
Chemical Member

fine, it's just a depressing ending to a fine show.

Myself i don't think they needed to have someone going back in time to make a good show based around Gene. Even if they had to have someone going back in time there's no real need to have a rational explanation for it all.

Last edited by Hex; 14-04-2007 at 18:58.
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 11:44   #143
Guest 17385
Keyboard Warrior

It amazes me that some people can't accept that Sam could have gone a bit loopy and decided to kill himself in order to "stay" in 1973 and yet are completely happy to accept time travel?
Guest 17385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 11:46   #144
Harsin

I think perhaps they were hoping for something more imaginative than 'it was all a dream'. That would earn you an automatic fail if you used it in creative writing at GCSE English.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 18:37   #145
SteM
Just Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsin View Post
I think perhaps they were hoping for something more imaginative than 'it was all a dream'. That would earn you an automatic fail if you used it in creative writing at GCSE English.
Not if you'd signposted it all the way through the story like the writers had. In the whole of the second series there was much more in the stories to point to Sam being in a coma, very little to point towards time travel.

It's a simple idea of a man in a coma wrapped up in 1970's fashions with a few red herrings thrown in. It's not the writers fault that people got carried away trying to second guess everything.

Excellent ending to an excellent show IMO.
SteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 08:30   #146
Guest 15513
Trusted User

Satisfying ending - I think they squeezed too much into the episode - too much exposition especially around the morgan/tyler scenes but it was quite clever and provided a feel-good ending without being too sentimental.

I am sad this is over...but all good things......
Guest 15513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 08:48   #147
Guest 43206
Isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
...all good things...
... get a spin-off series.

Got the DVD of series 2 yesterday, slightly disappointing extras on it to be honest. Quite a bit of back-slapping, but some half-decent behind the scenes stuff that made up for that (especially the Camberwick Green bit) and some of 'The End of...' was pretty good (briefly mentioning the endings that could have been, etc.)
Guest 43206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 18:25   #148
Guest 980
Trusted User

Hope Ashes to Ashes actually happens. Gene Hunt was a brilliant character and made Sam seem dull at times. I guess this was deliberate to contrast a quiet thoughtful present day copper with the no-nonsense Sweeney stereotype of the Seventies. Still think they shut up shop a series or two early. There hasn't been much on British TV I've really wanted to watch in recent years while US TV has become truly outstanding. This was an exception.

Last edited by gareth101; 18-04-2007 at 18:26.
Guest 980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 20:03   #149
Guest 329
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Ending
To start it plays out pretty much as shown on TV. As Sam flees the scene of the gunfight he sees the white light and walks into it. Sam wakes up in a hospital room (Hyde ward) and eventually returns to work. We cut to the police station canteen, where Sam and Maya are eating lunch. Sam asks about her dissapearence (as shown in the first episode), but Maya looks confused and asks what he’s going on about. When Sam references the serial killer they were chasing she claims to have no knowledge of it, and asks Sam if he’s sure he’s fit to come back to work.

The meeting scene at the old office is extended. It opens with discussions on security for the upcoming United/City game next week. Sam’s colleagues discuss assigning a small detail to the gates and surrounding areas to ensure there’s no trouble. Sam queries how that will be sufficient to off-set the huge amounts of violence and vandelism that these games inevitably bring with them. Again they look at him quizically and point out that there have been no major incidents of violence at a Manchester local derby since the 1970s. Sam seems confused and becomes lost in thought, which is where the scene as shown picks up, with Sam not even noticing his cut finger.

After the meeting we see Sam rush to the archives room, where he digs out the files for 1973. He pulls out the “Hunt, Gene” file and finds attached to it a newspaper clipping: “4 Officers Killed in Train-sting Gone Wrong”, with the subtitle “A furthur officer is missing, presumed dead”. Sam is slowly becoming convinced that somehow he really did go back in time, and goes to visit his mother. Here we get another extended version of the scene as shown, where he tells his mother everything that happened. She’s skeptical until he relates to her the precise details of thier meeting in 1973, and her sudden dissapearence. She comes to accept that what happened was real, and encourages Sam to ‘keep his promises’ as shown.

The rest of the episode plays out as show, except it’s made clear through the radio at the end that Sam isn’t dead in the ‘real world’ but instead back in an even deeper coma, with little chance of him waking back up. We then cut back to the archives room, the headline on the newspaper changing to “Justice served for Cop-Killer”.
Okay so I made it up
Guest 329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 21:24   #150
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteM View Post
It's a simple idea of a man in a coma wrapped up in 1970's fashions with a few red herrings thrown in. It's not the writers fault that people got carried away trying to second guess everything.
No one ever argued that Sam was in a coma. The question was where his consciousness had been transported to and why? As for trying to second guess everything, the voiceover at the beginning of each and every show after the first episode encourages exactly that:

Quote:
"My name's Sam Tyler. I had an accident, and I woke up in 1973. Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time?"
Guest 10592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 23:54   #151
Guest 2124
Trusted User

Just watched the final episode of this show - really enjoyed it!

It is probably the only TV drama in recent memory from the BBC that I have looked forward to watching.

The end was a touch depressing though - i.e. that a world of dreams is preferential to the reality of modern day living - at least that is what it implies to me...
Guest 2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 23:57   #152
McMikey
Trusted User

Well I've finally got round to watching this (as in both series). I never started watching it and as I missed it when it started never bothered with it.

I recently found it on my new virgin box on "tv on demand". Zipped through both series over the past few weeks. Very enjoyable. Read most of this thread and the blog entry from the creator.

I already had heard the ending before I started watching but knowing it and watching the "build up" to it made it make more sense. I suppose it's a bit Brazil like (though that wasn't suicide). I would've preferred if he'd not really woken up from the coma but he must've so that the case notes can be read by the main character in ashes to ashes.

Looking forward to Ashes to ashes and more Gene Genie anyway.
McMikey is offline   Reply With Quote