Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 10:58   #61
Harsin
Moderator
 
Harsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Wales
Posts: 22,093
Thanks: 20
Thanked 61 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Have an idea about Ashes to Ashes now

Last nigh you see Sam record all his recolections of his time in 1973 and have them sent off to an officer who is working on cases of people who have suffered truma

Would say that its a good chance that the officer after listening to Sams (no doubt very convincing) story is the one who somehow ends up in 1981 - Gene Hunt being created based on what she knows from what Sam has said
I'd say it's practically a given going on what that BBC article about Ashes to Ashes says.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:58   #62
cliff homewood
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southend
Posts: 5,213
Thanks: 1
Thanked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Or Gene is the face of cancer?
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:07   #63
capricorn1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,112
Thanks: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Have an idea about Ashes to Ashes now

Last nigh you see Sam record all his recolections of his time in 1973 and have them sent off to an officer who is working on cases of people who have suffered truma

Would say that its a good chance that the officer after listening to Sams (no doubt very convincing) story is the one who somehow ends up in 1981 - Gene Hunt being created based on what she knows from what Sam has said
I said something similar over on the Ashes to Ashes thread.
capricorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:29   #64
bigman
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Derby
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Have an idea about Ashes to Ashes now

Last nigh you see Sam record all his recolections of his time in 1973 and have them sent off to an officer who is working on cases of people who have suffered truma

Would say that its a good chance that the officer after listening to Sams (no doubt very convincing) story is the one who somehow ends up in 1981 - Gene Hunt being created based on what she knows from what Sam has said
I think that's very likely - particularly given the fact that we never actually saw Sam saying any of that. It was all done in voiceover with just silhouettes on screen which suggests to me that perhaps they added it in in post-production as a device to link to the spin-off.

And it seemed totally unnecessary otherwise.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:32   #65
hermand
Hypocrite
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smst View Post
The notion that he didn't wake up is better, I think. Although I really liked the theory presented by the episode halfway through, that Sam was really from 1973 and was dreaming about the future. All they would have needed to do to make that work was have his future memories be a little bit off (especially in their portrayal of our present in the first episode) so that his vision of the future could legitimately have been all imagined. That could have been the big reveal at the end, and I'd have bought it.
Me too. I'd have bought that and it would be a 'braver' ending. When he was on the building, (before the jump) and it panned all around him, I half expected there to be "future-stuff" that is just not there in our reality.

The more I think about the actual ending the less I like it; guy prefers coma-world to real-world so kills himself. Not exactly heroic (or in character, even)
__________________
You're gonna listen to me? To something I said? Hasn't it become abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know ****?
hermand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:00   #66
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger
 
gravesend46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chavsville, N. Kent
Posts: 1,201
Thanks: 10
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From the horse's mouth:

http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.c...e_answers.html
gravesend46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:12   #67
Lorne.t
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,072
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"A tight permed Ray Carling"...

Should be a laugh!
Lorne.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:23   #68
Guest 51185
Queen of the cuppa
 
Guest 51185's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wait for it.... Kent
Posts: 3,246
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was a great ending. Really compelling.... And Life on Mars has to be one of the best BBC dramas ever. Tuesday nights won't be the same!
Guest 51185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:26   #69
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pinewood Studios
Posts: 4,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
The more I think about the actual ending the less I like it; guy prefers coma-world to real-world so kills himself. Not exactly heroic (or in character, even)
But you could argue that he was a hero, and helped save his friends in 1973.

Dean Andrew's Ray was my favourite character, understated but always funny:

A bit like Hamlet
Hamlet was a tragedy
You would know that, wouldn't you. Poof.
__________________
Slosh
Panavision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:30   #70
hermand
Hypocrite
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panavision View Post
But you could argue that he was a hero, and helped save his friends in 1973.
No, because if you take things at face value, none of it was real. He rejected the real world for the one inside his head - where he may be saving his 'friends' but so what?
hermand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:33   #71
Jez
Ellis Retire!
 
Jez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tim Buck Too
Posts: 7,484
Thanks: 5
Thanked 74 Times in 50 Posts
From another forum...
Quote:
The end raised some questions but the writer has cleared everything up ( www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk )

Basically Sam was in a coma and the events of 1973 were in his head, however it was escapism from 2006/07. He did in fact wake up back in 2006/07 but wanted the place where he had just come from

Jumping off the building was real, it was him committing suicide. However before he dies and in his final moments, he goes back to the place in his head that he has come from 1973.

The TCG scene at the end is him dying.
__________________
Up the Villa!
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36   #72
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee
 
Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bodypoppers paradise
Posts: 7,071
Thanks: 99
Thanked 74 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsin View Post
I think the fact we can all reel of so many similar endings could indicate it's become a little overplayed.
I tend to agree, th writers clearly weren't brave enough to follow their concept to the end, so went for an is he/isn't he ending, as you say this has been done many times before and better.

I'm glad I didn't watch S2 now as I haven't invested a lot of time in a cop-out ending that one coulod see coming a long way off.

Disappointing really, LoM had the potential to be both a classic sci-fi drama and a wicked 1970's satire, in the end it succeeded in being only the latter. They might as wel have just made a 70's olice drama and jettison the time travel bits.
__________________
To me, my basement!

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36   #73
Guest 17385
Keyboard Warrior
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've watched it again and I've changed my mind and decided it was the best ending we could have had. Like I said earlier I think I was just on a bit of a downer because it was the last ever episode. A bit sad, but hey.
Guest 17385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:40   #74
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pinewood Studios
Posts: 4,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermand View Post
No, because if you take things at face value, none of it was real. He rejected the real world for the one inside his head - where he may be saving his 'friends' but so what?
But, once you've invested in the 73 characters, the real world isn't important anymore -- we don't know his real world because we never spent much time in it. It would've been a cop out if he chose reality in my opinion because the writers never gave us much of a taste of the reality.

Quote:

The “false ending” where Sam jumps got a huge round of applause when the final episode was premiered at BAFTA in London last week. “That amazed me, that people saw it as such a positive act.

“I think that’s slightly a testament to John’s brilliant acting at that moment, as well.”

Matthew added: “It’s not supposed to be a searing indictment on modern society, but more a comment on Sam. He was clearly a deeply repressed human being – I don’t think 2006 or 2007 brought out the best in Sam Tyler.
I quite agree with the above.
__________________
Slosh
Panavision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:41   #75
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger
 
gravesend46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chavsville, N. Kent
Posts: 1,201
Thanks: 10
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
th writers clearly weren't brave enough to follow their concept to the end, so went for an is he/isn't he ending,

If you read the link to the LoM writer's blog, you'll see this wasn't the case (assuming you believe him) and that the ending was more or less his intention from the start, with small modifications along the way.
gravesend46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:45   #76
hermand
Hypocrite
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panavision View Post
But, once you've invested in the 73 characters, the real world isn't important anymore -- we don't know his real world because we never spent much time in it. It would've been a cop out if he chose reality in my opinion because the writers never gave us much of a taste of the reality.
Well we can agree to differ - I just don't like an ending where the hero protagonist chooses death and fantasy over reality. That is all.
__________________
You're gonna listen to me? To something I said? Hasn't it become abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know ****?
hermand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:55   #77
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pinewood Studios
Posts: 4,727
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'd agree with you, but only if we spent any time in reality, which we didn't. I think, and it's my opinion, if he chose reality, it'd be Deus Ex Machina.
__________________
Slosh
Panavision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:57   #78
The404
In Stereo Where Available
 
The404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 87
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Ok, so after reading the interview in which its stated that he DID wake up from the coma, I stand by my original assessment. I hate the resolution and Sam commiting suicide went against everything he was trying to achieve in the previous 15 episodes.
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 13:29   #79
hermand
Hypocrite
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panavision View Post
I'd agree with you, but only if we spent any time in reality, which we didn't. I think, and it's my opinion, if he chose reality, it'd be Deus Ex Machina.
Kind of, except it wouldn't be Bobby Ewing in the shower as it was signalled all along, and wouldn't have been logically inconsistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The404
Ok, so after reading the interview in which its stated that he DID wake up from the coma, I stand by my original assessment. I hate the resolution and Sam commiting suicide went against everything he was trying to achieve in the previous 15 episodes.
Exactly.
__________________
You're gonna listen to me? To something I said? Hasn't it become abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know ****?

Last edited by hermand; 11-04-2007 at 13:30.
hermand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 14:16   #80
capricorn1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,112
Thanks: 13
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I tend to agree, th writers clearly weren't brave enough to follow their concept to the end, so went for an is he/isn't he ending, as you say this has been done many times before and better.

I'm glad I didn't watch S2 now as I haven't invested a lot of time in a cop-out ending that one coulod see coming a long way off.

Disappointing really, LoM had the potential to be both a classic sci-fi drama and a wicked 1970's satire, in the end it succeeded in being only the latter. They might as wel have just made a 70's olice drama and jettison the time travel bits.
So you're saying that the ending has been done better before but then you say you haven't actually watched series 2? That's a shame really because even if you hate the ending there's still seven other excellent episodes in the series.

If you read the interview with one of the writers (linked in a previous post in this thread) they say the ending is the ending they always planned, so surely they did follow their concept to the end?
capricorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
Life on Mars, Life on Mars Series 2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life on Mars: Series 2 Episode 7 **Spoilers** sleep4ever Television Discussion 31 12-04-2007 22:30
Life on Mars Season 2 **Episode 4** Panavision Television Discussion 14 21-03-2007 22:31
Life On Mars Series Two: Episode 3 **Spoilers** Alan b Television Discussion 33 08-03-2007 20:20
Life On Mars - Series 2: Episode 1 **Spoilers** Dno Television Discussion 103 26-02-2007 22:54
Life On Mars Series 2: Episode 2 **Spoilers** Alan b Television Discussion 12 18-02-2007 21:00

All times are GMT. The time now is 18:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network