Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 23:06   #41
Guest 2922
Trusted User

I read it that Sam never actually came out of the coma...when he woke up in the hospital bed with Dr. Morgan leaning over him he was in a dream within a dream - or coma if you will. The final look that Morgan gave Sam as he was leaving the room was a little odd and I thought 'something's not right...I think Sam's still out of it'.

The following scenes with Sam and his mother, him back at work with the grey suited 'corporate' coppers and the final 'suicidal' leap off the rooftop all happened in his head as the doctors were trying to revive him from his op. For whatever reason - Sam now felt more at home in his 1973 world? - he didn't have the strength to come through the op and slipped back into his coma. So a kind of bitter-sweet ending I thought, but it worked for me.

EDIT: Damn my crappy connection timing out (and my slow typing ), SheepDip got in there first with much of what I thought and said it better too!

One thing I am curious about - as others have mentioned - is what the premise will be for Ashes to Ashes & Gene Hunt's character if they do go ahead with the series?

Last edited by CrazyHorse; 10-04-2007 at 23:14.
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 23:15   #42
scooby snacks
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDip View Post
Well, I thought - theory of course, because I reckon this is one the scriptwriters might have been a bit too clever about is -

When he went into that tunnel, it was at a stage where the medication during his ongoing operation was really affecting his reasoning. In his coma, he slipped into another sort of dream where he imagined he woke up out of the coma - but he actually didn't. (Reckon we've all had dreams where we dream that we are dreaming - well I have ).
Anyway, this theory is sorta backed up because there are things in the "present" which connect to his coma state - the room he is in being called "Hyde" for example - and notice the number of that room. Now he could of course have also been hearing that number in his subconscious whilst in the coma and woke up to that room, but if it was a post-op room, he wouldn't have been in there all the time, so why would he have heard this number before.

More obviously, it shows him getting up and out of the room soon afterwards. Now of course, this could be a fast forward a few weeks - it doesn't say, but if it wasn't - that definately is a sign this is imagined.
His hair looked normal - hey, he's just had brain surgery, surely this wouldn't be the case so soon.
Even more obviously, he ends up soon afterwards back in his old job, with his old role. There is no way this would happen after being in a coma for weeks/months, and after undergoing a serious operation. He would be at best put into a minor desk job surely, or most likely would be signed off on health grounds, with psychiatric analysis for a while to ensure he is fit.

I thought the fact that he didn't feel when he cut himself, was him realising that he wasn't "alive" - he wasn't in reality. To "reset" himself from this deeper coma, he jumped - a jump which would have normally killed him from a building that tall.

The radio at the end, I thought it was him again hearing voices from the present reality - either at his operation, or in his post-op, that he is either dying, or slipping back into vegetative coma - due to his decision not to battle the dreamstate and stay there. So he either dies soon after the credits, or - well, people can stay in comas for years. In a way, perhaps they left it more open for future series than they hinted that they would do.

I'd agree with a lot of that. My initial thought after he 'awoke' from the operation was he stills in th coma and dreaming the operation was successful. The way he left hospital almost immediately and went straight back into his job (as you mentioned) gives the feeling it was imagined. I thought the part where he was talking with his mum was his way of deciding which imagined state to be in, neither were real. The 'suicide' jump was his way back to the 70's.

Its definately an ambiguous ending, and everyone will have a different opinion, which is good.

As for Ashes To Ashes, I think it can be easily proved that Gene Hunt was a real policeman, just that Sam never met him in reality. So I'd expect no mention of Sam in that series.

I liked the document folder that Morgan gave to Sam with the first letters of the words spelling MARS. Nice touch

Last edited by scooby snacks; 10-04-2007 at 23:16.
scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 23:47   #43
Guest 48579
Banned

In my opinion, the whole series is about death and how we sometimes struggle to keep people alive and fight against a natural death. We can keep people in comas for years these days, but how do we really know what is going on inside their brains?

From the very moment that Sam was hit by that car, he was doomed. The surgeon (Morgan) was trying to bring him back, maybe as much to prove his own cleverness as out of general concern for Sam (he gives a very self satisfied smirk when he informs Sam that he is amazed he brought him back).

So, Sam was always dying - 1973 with all the flashbacks and halucinations (and the dreams that he was being tortured at one point) were merely his mind fighting against his own death, and the pain his body was going through.

The surgeon brings him back, but tells him the tumour was inoperable (but benign). He is never going to live a normal life. The tumour has left him with no feeling (signaled by the cutting the finger bit). he has to take the decision whether to continue fighting against his certain death, or embrace it.

He chooses to embrace it, symbolised by the jump off the roof at the end. This brings him happiness, as he has chosen his own destiny, and is no longer fighting against the inevitable.

He has a brief moment of happiness. He belongs, in 1973, for the very first time. They accept him. he gets the kiss. He then hears himself flatlining on the car radio, realises he is about to die, and accepts it without fighting ("I hate this channel").

Then, he dies. The TV is turned off by test Card girl. Sam is dead.

All that fighting against the tumour that was exhausting him, that was ******* with his head and body. All gone.

There is nothing else.

Last edited by Cockeye; 11-04-2007 at 00:18. Reason: Been thinking about it a lot more
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:57   #44
dunkle
Trusted User

Loved every minute of every episode and the final was no exception

BRILLIANT

The only thing that may detract from it though is the premise for Ashes to Ashes which according to the BBC sees Gene Hunt in London in 1981 teaming up with a female from "the future" - seems you gets put there after an incident

At the moment I find the story somewhat hard to belive - as if true it turns Life on Mars on its head - as it stands the characters are in Sams head - how could one of them end up being in someone elses ?
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:37   #45
Guest 10252
indestructible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Loved every minute of every episode and the final was no exception

BRILLIANT

The only thing that may detract from it though is the premise for Ashes to Ashes which according to the BBC sees Gene Hunt in London in 1981 teaming up with a female from "the future" - seems you gets put there after an incident

At the moment I find the story somewhat hard to belive - as if true it turns Life on Mars on its head - as it stands the characters are in Sams head - how could one of them end up being in someone elses ?
Link to the article on the BBC News Website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6542633.stm

OO
Guest 10252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:09   #46
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

In the tunnel
Sam runs into darkness, then sees the light at the end of the tunnel. He chooses it.

Hospital
He wakes up, he's still in his coma, thinking he's alive. The name of the ward is Hyde.

Police Station 2006
He returns to the same station, but modernised. He sits in a conference. What's happened to policing? It's done at the desk, not on the streets. When he can't feel the pain, this might mean, I much prefer the streets, where I can feel. Also, the other explanations, as mentioned in this thread, are viable alternatives.
I thought it came across as political statement about policing today. He effectively let Gene Hunt be killed and look what effect it had on the future of policing!

So, he leaps off the building because the future is decadent, he's actually dying.

He emerges from the light back into the darkness and saves his friends.

He never emerged from the coma, subsequently died when he accepted his fate, 1973.

I think it's best to leave it ambiguous, any logical interpretation is the right answer.

If you are wondering about Maya, she left him whilst he was in the coma, but in the first episode of season 1, she went missing! What happened to that investigation? Was it tied in with the final episode? I haven't seen the first episode since its original airing, maybe there are clues in there?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:24   #47
Guest 724
Lardy

Brilliant stuff. Perfect in many ways and left a real sense of sadness. It's amazing how such (on the face of it) horrible characters can make you care about them so much. Kudos to the writers.

******* was spot on, I think

Last edited by Chorlton; 11-04-2007 at 08:26.
Guest 724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:31   #48
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

When they kiss, it's the kiss of death.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35   #49
beaky
Omnipresent

We both enjoyed it, and it ended on a high for me. They've also effectively left it open for the 1973 storyline - very clever.

'Get off me - I'm not a fairy!'
Old 11-04-2007, 08:37   #50
hermand
Hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribly_Mauled View Post
It would have been far more powerful to have him realise he no longer fitted in in 'reality', fling himself off a roof to return to the past, and then die saving everyone else. He would redeem himself in the eyes of everyone he had apparently betrayed, he wouldn't get the girl (as he shouldnt have done) and he would ultimately have closure to his storyline.
That would have been a better ending.

The one they went with was ok, but a bit meh.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49   #51
Guest 3572
floating in a tin can

a couple of questions:

Were there several endings filmed for the first series, if so were they present on the DVD?

And were there several filmed for this series?

Thanks
Guest 3572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:18   #52
Guest 48579
Banned

According to someone I know who already hs the second series boxset (and she was right because she gave away the ending before last night) there is definitely a documentary explaining the ending on the box set.

There was a different ending filmed for series two, but whether we will see it who knows?
Guest 48579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:22   #53
Guest 4466
Out of the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panavision View Post
If you are wondering about Maya, she left him whilst he was in the coma, but in the first episode of season 1, she went missing! What happened to that investigation? Was it tied in with the final episode? I haven't seen the first episode since its original airing, maybe there are clues in there?
In the first episode Sam caught the guy who would have kidnapped Maya in the future, so I think he prevented that from happening.

Having read the theories here I'm a bit less disappointed with the ending -- the interpretation that he never really woke up seems fairly workable to me.

As it was, taking the wake-up at face value, I didn't like it: selfless Sam suddenly decides that instead of helping people and catching criminals (something he's very good at) he'll upset all of the present-day people who love him and disappear into a dream? And all of his 1973 achievements meant nothing: he didn't put away any of those people, he didn't save Maya from her kidnapping. Seemed a bit empty and pointless to me.

The notion that he didn't wake up is better, I think. Although I really liked the theory presented by the episode halfway through, that Sam was really from 1973 and was dreaming about the future. All they would have needed to do to make that work was have his future memories be a little bit off (especially in their portrayal of our present in the first episode) so that his vision of the future could legitimately have been all imagined. That could have been the big reveal at the end, and I'd have bought it.

Intrigued by Ashes To Ashes, and the possible notion that Gene Hunt appears in several people's unconscious minds.
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:33   #54
Guest 24882
Trusted User

I'd say Gene Hunt is the overseer of Police Purgatory. If you take a blow on the noggin, you end up stuck with him.

Maybe if you're a chef and you take a blow on the noggin, you end up with a Gordon Ramsey alike. I sense another spin off.
Guest 24882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11   #55
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

I agree with SheepDip and others: He never woke from the coma and that view of the future was actually a dream.

As to the very end, I think he has died in the future and the little girl turning the TV off implies this.

At first I thought it was a bit of a cop-out (pun not intended) ending, but actually I now consider it to have a lot of Philip K. Dick in it. Maybe the writers were fans of his work? It certainly shows his hallmarks of blurring the lines between reality and fantasy and the ending is as interpretive as others.

I think it's tempting to be annoyed with the ending due to the time spent watching the series but really it's of the same level as the endings to Total Recall, Minoirty Report and the Director's Cut of Blade Runner, surely?
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:14   #56
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGB View Post
I think it's tempting to be annoyed with the ending due to the time spent watching the series but really it's of the same level as the endings to Total Recall, Minoirty Report and the Director's Cut of Blade Runner, surely?
I think the fact we can all reel of so many similar endings could indicate it's become a little overplayed.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:21   #57
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsin View Post
I think the fact we can all reel of so many similar endings could indicate it's become a little overplayed.
That goes without saying, but then 'happily ever after' or 'everyone gets brutally killed because LIFE IS HARD' aren't exactly on the pile of unusual endings, are they?

I think originality isn't the issue: the ending was essentially a good one and I think that in spite of initial feelings of disappointment it'll be remembered as such.

I remember when Twin Peaks ended actually and how massively disappointed I was with it but a few weeks later I decided it was actually a great ending. Of course, I haven't seen the ending in 16 years or something so maybe I'll change my mind when I finally pick up the Season 2 boxset.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:24   #58
Guest 17385
Keyboard Warrior

First of all I loved every minute of the two seasons of LOM until the ending of the last episode. Like others it just seemed a bit meh. The part where he went back to '73 seemed like it was tagged on at a later date. If, what others have said, is to be believed and there is another ending, then it would probably start just before his jump. If that makes sense.
Personally I feel a little bit cheated. The ending wasn't good enough for me and it did seem like a cop out. I'm not exactly sure how to explain how it was a cop out, but it just felt like it. Perhaps I'm just a bit miffed the only decent program worth watching on TV has now finished, and I'm left with a very below par series of 24 to watch.
Anyway, I think we can all agree that Sam is dead and that the Gene Genie is one of THE best TV characters created.
Guest 17385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:40   #59
Guest 39548
Trusted User

Those last words by Gene were somewhat prophetic...."In your dreams"
Guest 39548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:48   #60
dunkle
Trusted User

Have an idea about Ashes to Ashes now

Last nigh you see Sam record all his recolections of his time in 1973 and have them sent off to an officer who is working on cases of people who have suffered truma

Would say that its a good chance that the officer after listening to Sams (no doubt very convincing) story is the one who somehow ends up in 1981 - Gene Hunt being created based on what she knows from what Sam has said
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote