Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 21:30   #21
teabag
Green eyes

He may not have jumped off at all. The tumor is still in his brain so he can 'succumb' to it and the jump was just a device to get him back into a coma like the car accident (which also may not have really happened) was a device to get him into the coma in the first place. He could have 'imagined' both incidents.
Old 10-04-2007, 21:31   #22
Guest 2484
sees little green people

I had the impression he didn't actually leap at the end. He just couldn't handle the future and his mind 'snapped' him back into his delusion.

Only weird thing is that Ashes to Ashes is going to be a series about a character who is a figment of another character's imagination (who isn't in the show).

Despite this it was a good episode. My only problem was the stuff in the middle that tried to explain it away as Sam being undercover with amnesia. Didn't buy that for a second as, from the viewer's perspective, he knew too much about the future. Not a problem with the plot. More that it was never convincing enough to make me think it was the resolution.
Guest 2484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:33   #23
scooby snacks
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribly_Mauled View Post
It would have been far more powerful to have him realise he no longer fitted in in 'reality', fling himself off a roof to return to the past, and then die saving everyone else. He would redeem himself in the eyes of everyone he had apparently betrayed, he wouldn't get the girl (as he shouldnt have done) and he would ultimately have closure to his storyline.

Half an Hour afterwards, I feel it was definately a cop out.
For a show that has provided so many comedic moments (mainly due to Gene), ending in such a grim manner wouldn't have been right imo.

Really going to miss that programme Boxset time
scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:33   #24
Guest 24882
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post

Only weird thing is that Ashes to Ashes is going to be a series about a character who is a figment of another character's imagination (who isn't in the show).
Hence the need to kill Tyler.
I should start a petition.
Guest 24882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:34   #25
Guest 10252
indestructible

All I know is it was a great hour of Television & a Brilliant series & as they sped into the distance down that alley there was a smile on my face.

Come on BBC you now know what we want!

OO

Last edited by Captain Scarlet; 10-04-2007 at 21:36.
Guest 10252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:37   #26
Guest 40203
Trusted User

Come on BBC you know know what we want!

Well said i couldn't agree more
Guest 40203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:40   #27
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabag View Post
He may not have jumped off at all. The tumor is still in his brain so he can 'succumb' to it and the jump was just a device to get him back into a coma like the car accident (which also may not have really happened)

Yep, I was thinking along those lines when he was in the meeting and had cut his hand and couldn't feel it... thought it might have been a symptom of him 'relapsing' back into a coma.

At least until he leaped off the roof anyway!
gravesend46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:47   #28
Nirvana
Blanned Member

Last edited by Nirvana; 14-06-2011 at 00:08. Reason: .
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:48   #29
Guest 4401
Trusted User

Great ending to the series - loved it!
I know they say there is going to be no more, but after after all of the money the beeb will make selling the programme and DVD's I can see the beeb offering them lots of money to make another series or even a Christmas Special - remember only fools and horses how many final episodes did that have - I really hope they do make more
Guest 4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:53   #30
teabag
Green eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
he's hardly a hero now is he? he's a guy who chose to commit suicide.
he gave up a life of friends, lovers and family in the real world, so he could enjoy a fantasy in his own head.
I dont think he did commit suicide. He came out of the coma briefly (the surgeon said it was amazing that he had at all) but slipped back into it because he still has the tumour in his brian. Whilst out of the coma he made his peace with his mum. She could see he wasn't happy and effectively gave him permission to go by telling him 'you always keep your promises' or some such. His Indian girlfriend had already given up on him and moved on in an earlier episode.

Last edited by teabag; 10-04-2007 at 21:55.
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:55   #31
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by top dude View Post
Come on BBC you know know what we want!
I read somewhere that John Simm never does more than two series of a show so if that is true the chances of a one off special or even another series are remote.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:55   #32
capricorn1
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
Excellent ending to an excellent programme, I too thought it was going to be a 'cop' out with 10 minutes to go
Yes, I agree - I was annoyed that the others were left in the gun battle so the writers had obviously done something right for me to care about the characters!
capricorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 21:59   #33
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn1 View Post
I was annoyed that the others were left in the gun battle

Was anyone else thinking 'Blake's 7' at that point...?!
Old 10-04-2007, 22:13   #34
teabag
Green eyes

The golden rule of leave the audience wanting more seems to have worked here. God knows how they'll get on stretching the US series' out to 60 episodes! I don't blame the Uk people for wanting nothing to do with it. Why do they have to flog a dead horse. 60!!!!

Mind you, the news that Top Gear might be made in the US with Clarkson as one of the presenters should be interesting.

Last edited by teabag; 10-04-2007 at 22:13.
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 22:14   #35
Guest 2295
Filmmaker

I liked the little girl at the end turning up and reaching over to turn our TVs off!

If you don't want to imagine that he's really back in time for good, you could always imagine that the last part takes place in his dying moments and the girl turning us off is him actually dying.

But I prefer to think he's made the jump back and that's it - his "future" self is dead & he's there to stay. Things don't have to have a rational explanation to feel right!
Guest 2295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 22:25   #36
SPB
Balding Member

"Meh" ending. Shouldn't detract from the main point of the show though - Gene Hunt comedy genius.

Personally I took the "can't feel it" quote when he cut his hand to mean his life was a meaningless void compared to his fictional 1973. I though the radio "we are losing him" at the end was confirmation of his suicide attempt. But none of that made much sense as to why he'd do it. The slipping back into a coma theory is equally lame for me.

Apparently 2 endings were shot. I assume the alternate was that 1973 was real and the future was in his head. I'd have liked that ending better but it would have made no sense, as already stated he knew about future events.
SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 22:40   #37
Guest 39548
Trusted User

Thought it was a brilliant episode but now I'm confused about what "really" happened to him.
Only the writers/actors know the real answer....
Guest 39548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 22:54   #38
SheepDip
I dunno....

Well, I thought - theory of course, because I reckon this is one the scriptwriters might have been a bit too clever about is -

When he went into that tunnel, it was at a stage where the medication during his ongoing operation was really affecting his reasoning. In his coma, he slipped into another sort of dream where he imagined he woke up out of the coma - but he actually didn't. (Reckon we've all had dreams where we dream that we are dreaming - well I have ).
Anyway, this theory is sorta backed up because there are things in the "present" which connect to his coma state - the room he is in being called "Hyde" for example - and notice the number of that room. Now he could of course have also been hearing that number in his subconscious whilst in the coma and woke up to that room, but if it was a post-op room, he wouldn't have been in there all the time, so why would he have heard this number before.

More obviously, it shows him getting up and out of the room soon afterwards. Now of course, this could be a fast forward a few weeks - it doesn't say, but if it wasn't - that definately is a sign this is imagined.
His hair looked normal - hey, he's just had brain surgery, surely this wouldn't be the case so soon.
Even more obviously, he ends up soon afterwards back in his old job, with his old role. There is no way this would happen after being in a coma for weeks/months, and after undergoing a serious operation. He would be at best put into a minor desk job surely, or most likely would be signed off on health grounds, with psychiatric analysis for a while to ensure he is fit.

I thought the fact that he didn't feel when he cut himself, was him realising that he wasn't "alive" - he wasn't in reality. To "reset" himself from this deeper coma, he jumped - a jump which would have normally killed him from a building that tall.

The radio at the end, I thought it was him again hearing voices from the present reality - either at his operation, or in his post-op, that he is either dying, or slipping back into vegetative coma - due to his decision not to battle the dreamstate and stay there. So he either dies soon after the credits, or - well, people can stay in comas for years. In a way, perhaps they left it more open for future series than they hinted that they would do.
SheepDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 22:59   #39
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger

Maybe heaven really is 1973, and he's died and gone there...

Last edited by gravesend46; 10-04-2007 at 23:00.
Old 10-04-2007, 23:00   #40
Guest 22237
Trusted User

I must have missed something along the way. I thought he was in a coma because he got hit by a car? Where did the tumor come from?

Also, just so you knew the truth, wouldn't the first thing you do when you got out of hospital be to see if those people really existed?

Last edited by strangerer; 11-04-2007 at 07:37.
Guest 22237 is offline   Reply With Quote