Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 13-12-2006, 08:30   #81
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Giblet Club sandwich!!!!!
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 09:12   #82
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

We hadn't seen that one either, good show last night, but god know why they built that new restaurant, which to be fair, did seem to be doing well, why couldn't they use that menu, in the original restaurant though?

Great plans for the future though -'we're opening a restaurant in edinburgh, but instead of basing it on the highly succseful restaurant we have here, we'll be basing it on the one that's dead every night of the week,and losing money hand over fist '

Pillocks!
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 10:28   #83
johnson293
Black and White Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69
That's what I meant in my post. I think it was better/nicer when it was just a little restaurant in the shack. You got massive amounts of food (and good food), now you get little portions and it's not as good.
Next weeks ep is a revisit to Mama Cherri's, and from the trail they showed, it looks like Gordon may agree with you, regarding the new place and the current standard of the food.

If there are problems at the new venue, maybe next weeks will be more like a 2nd 'nightmare' visit, rather than the usual repeat + 5 minutes revisit.

Looking forward to it anyway - really like the 'Ramsay' shows (This & F-Word).

MJ
johnson293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 21:54   #84
Guest 17778
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69
That's what I meant in my post. I think it was better/nicer when it was just a little restaurant in the shack. You got massive amounts of food (and good food), now you get little portions and it's not as good.
watching the update tonight and you are right, people sayinng its not as good and its tiny portions.
Guest 17778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 21:59   #85
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondlin
watching the update tonight and you are right, people sayinng its not as good and its tiny portions.
Yeah mate. I was watching the original and I remembered the Gujons were amazing and huge, when we were there a few weeks back they were tiny and horrible.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 22:01   #86
Guest 17778
Alias

I wonder when did Gordon did his revisit, do you think you went before or after that last 5 mins?
Old 19-12-2006, 22:03   #87
Guest 4904
XBL: WildWayzz

he went back there in November 2006
Guest 4904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 22:09   #88
Guest 17778
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWayz
he went back there in November 2006
so possibly just after Stu_69 been, i wanted to go there back in June. not so gutted that i couldn't go now, in fact i am not so bothered if they look and taste like it did before his revisit.
Old 19-12-2006, 22:12   #89
Guest 9913
Trusted User

Todays programme showed what a berk Ramsay can be; he wanted Mamma out the kitchen, then on his revisit he tells she needs one foot back in the kitchen!

And, while the food may have lost some of that 'intimacy' no one can argue that Mamma has made her business a sucess, yet in comes Ramsay and tears it to shreds! What's that about? If his argument was that people wouldn't come back then the bookings offer no evidence to support this theory. Just because he dismisses the food doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. And the bookings tend not to agree with his opinion.

So ultimately, what was his problem? That Mamma's kitchen has adapted to meet the demand? That customers aren't kept waiting for 'extra fresh' cooked meals? The bottom line is that he didn't like the fact that Mamma's has done brilliantly without following his strict guidelines! Just because sucess can be achieved in a different fashion, he feels 'put out'.

Grow up big boy and grow a pair.

Last edited by hih; 19-12-2006 at 22:14.
Guest 9913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 22:19   #90
Guest 10877
Bink Bink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hih
The bottom line is that he didn't like the fact that Mamma's has done brilliantly without following his strict guidelines! Just because sucess can be achieved in a different fashion, he feels 'put out'.
Going by stu_69 and other opinions, the food had gone downhill and needed to be fixed. Not a case of Ramsey feeling "put out" that I can see?
Guest 10877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 22:22   #91
Guest 17778
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by hih
Todays programme showed what a berk Ramsay can be; he wanted Mamma out the kitchen, then on his revisit he tells she needs one foot back in the kitchen!

And, while the food may have lost some of that 'intimacy' no one can argue that Mamma has made her business a sucess, yet in comes Ramsay and tears it to shreds! What's that about? If his argument was that people wouldn't come back then the bookings offer no evidence to support this theory. Just because he dismisses the food doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. And the bookings tend not to agree with his opinion.

So ultimately, what was his problem? That Mamma's kitchen has adapted to meet the demand? That customers aren't kept waiting for 'extra fresh' cooked meals? The bottom line is that he didn't like the fact that Mamma's has done brilliantly without following his strict guidelines! Just because sucess can be achieved in a different fashion, he feels 'put out'.

Probably people are booking are from London who's not been before, if the food is bad then people wont keep going back.
Old 19-12-2006, 22:33   #92
Guest 358
Burn Noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hih

The point I think he was making was it was not sustainable. People would be turned off by the food and not return. He did say within the next 18 months they would be gone. He was trying to make a business not a short term boom and bust.
Guest 358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 23:03   #93
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevb
The point I think he was making was it was not sustainable. People would be turned off by the food and not return. He did say within the next 18 months they would be gone. He was trying to make a business not a short term boom and bust.
Well I have been there in the past few months and I will not be going back. The food was not nice and I didn't enjoy the meal. So therefore Ramsey is right!
Old 19-12-2006, 23:09   #94
Guest 49181
Code Monkey

After seeing the state of the kitchens tonight, I know I'll never be going there!

You have to wonder - how many other kitchens up and down the country are just as bad though?
Guest 49181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 00:50   #95
Guest 9913
Trusted User

So just because Ramsey says the food in a place isn't as good as it was when it followed his particular formula, he must be right? Has no one possibly thought that the idea of the programme is to make Ramsey look right? The very premise of the show dictates that he has to 'sort' a place out. Yet it was clear tonight that Mamma's place has been doing mighty fine in the two years without Ramsey's interference. Just because the kitchen is run differently to how Ramsey likes a kitchen to run, doesn't make it wrong.

And let's not forget that when he he first turned up at Mamma's shack he loved the food, yet he complained about the early food prepping and complained that the food was losing its beautiful flavours! Hold on, didn't he just say that the food was lovely? Yes he did, he only changed his tune because he didn't like how the kitchen was run! Not exactly objective analysis.

And he did the same con trick tonight: he looks at the new premises and is impressed, he looks at the bookings and is blown away, then he goes in to the kitchen and doesn't like what he sees, so suddenly everything is rubbish. Why he even went through the charade of tasting the food, i aint got a clue, as he had already decided it was rubbish regardless of how it really tasted.

What he did tonight just reeked of spitefulness. Here was a woman who had worked so hard for so little for many years, and at last she is beginning to see some sucess. Yet in comes bully boy and rips her to shreds. Why couldn't he be happy for her and offer some suggestions without making her and her restaurant look like a crap hole? She didn't need tough love, she's had a tough enough time of it over the past few years. Tough love is needed when the ship is sinking but the captain can't see it. There can be no genuine reason for its application in this episode other than out of spite.

I really enjoy this programme and generally agree with his methods and actions, but not tonight.

Why am i even writing about this? It's only a poxy cookery programme, and i'm supposed to be doing my assignment. No wonder i'm fick.
Old 20-12-2006, 01:16   #96
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by hih
...snip
Sorry mate but that's all ******* ******.

I don't think he had a problem with the fact that the restaurant was successful and she was doing well. He had a problem with the fact that the kitchen was a ********. With precooked food all over the place, moldy food in the kitchen and the customers complained.

If the woman opens up her kitchen to camera's and Gordon Ramsey and it's in that state she needs a telling off.

As I said I was in that Restaurant in November (I also ate in the Shack before and after Ramsey had been) and the food was not good (it wasn't bad), I have eaten in the Soul food shack and it was beautiful, the portions where huge and we always cleared our plates. When we ate in the new Big House the food was stogy, greasy and small portions and neither myself or my wife finished our meals. Also Ramsey's picture is all over the place and on the back of the menus there is a big letter of thanks from Momma Cherri thanking him for saving her restaurant. So I think she is quite happy to take his criticism.

His only critism was the state of the kitchen and if you have a problem with that you must eat in some questionable restaurants!!
Old 20-12-2006, 01:38   #97
Guest 26778
Idiot Baiter

His issue was with the fact that although the business was doing well, because of the **** food, return business will go through the floor, and because it's a big business, with big overheads, things will go south FAST. Ramsay is absolutely spot on with what he said about that.

The kitchen was an embarassment, and the fact that they're just serving re-heated chicken drumsticks (which have been lying around in the kitchen for a good while... not good) is a joke, compared to the nice, simple and good value idea that they tried in the shack.
Guest 26778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 09:17   #98
Guest 9913
Trusted User

The argument about the business would suffer as a result of non-returning customers is not conclusive in any way. And clearly the fact that the business had suceeded in the two years before Ramsey's return, suggests that if there are some customers who don't return, the impact is more than outweighed by the new and returning customers who continue to book her place til March. That's fact, not opinion.

As for the state of the kitchen, it was similar to how Momma run her kitchen at the shack, and yet, as i stated before, Ramsey wolfed the food down with a big fat smile on his lumpy face. Now, maybe this isn't how he likes his kitchen to be run but clearly it had no effect on the tastiness of the food. Therefore, to use this as an excuse to then slag her food off, does not make any sense, and suggests that his objectivity and integrity should be questioned in this particular case.

Last edited by hih; 20-12-2006 at 09:20.
Old 20-12-2006, 10:23   #99
Guest 21161
Trusted User

I have to agree with Ramsey, obviously in the last two years Mama's has grown and got bigger and making some serious dollar but as a consquence as mentioned its turned into a glorified Macdonalds / TFI's.

I think the kitchen has lost focus on the quality to keep up with the demand i.e. pulling boxes of cooked chicken from every corner to be re-heated, scrimping on servings etc.

The point he was trying to get across was, where's the quality of food they used to provide gone, Mama should be checking food standards in the kitchen or face shutting down in 18mths.
Guest 21161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 11:28   #100
johnson293
Black and White Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfool_col
I think the kitchen has lost focus on the quality to keep up with the demand i.e. pulling boxes of cooked chicken from every corner to be re-heated, scrimping on servings etc.
Totally agree with that, and also dont think GR pulled them to bits out of any spitefulness, or malice becoasue of their success since he visited.

He was clearly impressed by the new place, and the bookings they had till next march, but when he saw how the standard of the food had dropped, he had to say something, otherwise she could still be on a new slippery slope.

However, what puzzled me was that they had moved to a much larger restaurant, with many more customers, but they had also more than doubled the amount of chef's/kitchen staff.

If the standards had dropped, and there was loads of pre-prepared food around and it was still the head chef and one other, I could understand.

However, the amount of bodies they had working in the kitchen should have been more than capable of preparing/serving fresh cooked food for the size of the new place, without all the laziness of pre-prep/heating up.

Part of the drop in quality/standard of food was probably down to momma cherri not spending as much/any time in the kitchen anymore.

When he left the first time, she spent her evenings as restaurant host, but she still spent time during the day helping to prep and season soem fo the dishes ready for the evening service.

MJ
johnson293 is offline   Reply With Quote