Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 27-10-2005, 10:23   #1
neilalford
I angered a crow

Babylon 5 - Scripts and coolness! HEADS UP - Info on vol 15

Just learnt that the entire scripts of Babylon 5 are being released! Basically it will be a series of books, each containing approximately 7 scripts, plus production notes, comments from JMS photos etc.

Also included will be a number of rather special bonuses including the unfilmed original scripts for The Gathering and Soul Hunter and JMS's original overview of the arc!

Info at the Lurkers Guide

Looks like the books will be released over a few months, with a total cost of around $420! So not cheap but sounds like some interesting stuff!

Last edited by neilalford; 08-02-2008 at 09:07.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 13:04   #2
Guest 17523
Dis-Member

It's not all the B5 scripts, it's all of JMS's scripts.
Which is a vast majority, it's true and it means all the important ones are there...but it's not all the scripts.
Guest 17523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 14:33   #3
neilalford
I angered a crow

Good point, should have realised that due to the fact that he mentions 90-something scripts and there are 110 episodes! But as you point out, it is the vast majority of the scripts, all of series 3, 4 and 5 (except the Neil gaiman one from S5), at least half of series 2 and a good chunk of series 1. I'm assuming it also includes the films, don't know about Crusade scripts, though they could be interesting.
Old 27-10-2005, 23:39   #4
Guest 17866
Babylon 5 Chief Engineer

Blimey.... My wallet has sat up and taken notice! Will be an interesting read for all dedicated B5 fans I should think.

BTW, did I imagine it or was Claudia 'Ivanova' Christian on a trailer for some weird news based programme on BBC2 earlier?
Guest 17866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 11:17   #5
neilalford
I angered a crow

Yep, not cheap, but the proposed release schedule means it will take over 6 months for all the books to be released, so will be a slow and gentle drain on the wallet, makes it easier to justify.

To be honest, not too fussed about the standard scripts (why read a script when you can watch the episode) but the unaired scripts and all the other bits sounds really interesting, particularly the original arc.

Want to find out if I'm right about how Sinclairs arc would have panned out, I've always suspected that instead of Sheridans 20 years of life after which he leaves with Lorien it would have instead been 20 years before Sinclair has to leave to take Babylon 4, so a similar feel but for different reasons. That also ties in with Sinclair being older in Babylon Squared, which I know they dealt with in War Without End, but I always felt that was a bodged reason to tie up the continuity!

JMS has also commented about shocking people by telling them what the final scene of the series would be, obviously that changed and I suspect the original ending would have been what was shown at the end of WWE, Sinclair being revealed as Valen.

I know JMS has said that even in the original arc the B4 storyline would have been dealt with at around the same point in the arc but that could be explained by having the future Sinclair travel back to that point, meaning that WWE would have played out almost the same as it did except with two Sinclairs rather than Sinclair and Sheridan! This also means the Sinclair learns at that point that he only has 20 years before he has to perform this task, much like Sheridan learning that he only has 20 years to live.

Hmm, went on a bit there, think I've thought about this a bit much!
Old 30-10-2005, 17:53   #6
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Just had a notification that the first script book is available to order - http://www.babylon5scripts.com/

Sadly they're too expensive for me. I'd rather just have the introductory and additional material. Actual scripts don't interest me at that price as I'd rather watch the show...

J
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 19:50   #7
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I have been reading about these a lot recently from the JMS mailings and I was all ready to pass them by but he has put in so much cool sounding stuff that I just caved and put in an order for the first volume. I really want that 15th volume just a damn shame that you have to by the other 14 to get it. But I am a huge B5 fan and read the all about the ins and outs about producing the show will be very cool.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 10:22   #8
LIGHTRAY
Vandelay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLaidlow
Actual scripts don't interest me at that price as I'd rather watch the show...
Totally agree. Each to their own, and much as I like Bab5 , I can't really get excited about this. I can never really see the point of buying scripts of a show, wether it's this or any other. If I really like an episode, I'd rather just watch it, in the format it was supposed to be produced in, ie , a televisual format, rather than read it in script format.

It's like those rubbish "novelisations" tie-ins of special- effects heavy films like Star Wars, what's the point ?
Just seems like another way to milk fans of their cash.
LIGHTRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 12:00   #9
zantarous

It is not the scripts though that is the selling point, there is in depth information about the filming process, alternate and extended version of the scripts, JMS thoughts about the show, his original pitch to WB, the original B5 bible and the answer to the question: What would B5 have been like had Sinclair stayed on board.
Old 31-10-2005, 12:15   #10
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

I was impressed until clicking through the various links reveals that their "publishing partner" is CafePress.

I think I'll pass on them now.
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 12:21   #11
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2002
BTW, did I imagine it or was Claudia 'Ivanova' Christian on a trailer for some weird news based programme on BBC2 earlier?
No, you didn't imagine it, I saw her too. Can't remember what the show was though...
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 12:25   #12
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr90
I was impressed until clicking through the various links reveals that their "publishing partner" is CafePress.

I think I'll pass on them now.
What is wrong with Cafepress? Do I need to be aware of somthing?
Old 31-10-2005, 20:10   #13
LIGHTRAY
Vandelay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous
It is not the scripts though that is the selling point, there is in depth information about the filming process, alternate and extended version of the scripts, JMS thoughts about the show, his original pitch to WB, the original B5 bible and the answer to the question: What would B5 have been like had Sinclair stayed on board.
Sorry dude, but you left the off that post.
LIGHTRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 20:23   #14
zantarous

What can I say I am just a huge B5 fan and think that JMS is a God among men.

I suppose if you are not a fan of the mans writing and just really interested from a writers point of view about how a TV series is pitched and put together and how one goes about structuring such a massive project then it probably wont appeal to you.

Last edited by zantarous; 31-10-2005 at 20:26.
Old 31-10-2005, 22:22   #15
Guest 42
Scapegoat

Oh well, thanks to this thread bringing it to my attention, I've ordered vol 1.

We'll see how it is
Guest 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:22   #16
neilalford
I angered a crow

Ordered the first volume.

Like most people, not that interested in the scripts but the rest of the stuff just sounds really interesting.

For some reason I didn't get the notification e-mail about this volume being released, hopefully, wont miss any of the later volumes as you only have one week to buy them at the reduced price!
Old 01-11-2005, 18:56   #17
Guest 44458
I'm female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilalford
Ordered the first volume.

Like most people, not that interested in the scripts but the rest of the stuff just sounds really interesting.

For some reason I didn't get the notification e-mail about this volume being released, hopefully, wont miss any of the later volumes as you only have one week to buy them at the reduced price!
I didn't get one either and will probably have to pay full price as only just paid money off on my credit card today so I could order and don't know when it'll clear. Anyone know when they started selling them? I might be able to squeeze my order in.
Guest 44458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 20:51   #18
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

zantarous - I'm skeptical of CafePress's ability to provide a polished product. My perception of them is that they're a not-terribly-high quality vanity press outfit when it comes to publishing books. Maybe they've improved over the years, we'll see.
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 21:04   #19
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

well i got the email on 30th October, so the first week isn't even over yet.

J
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:37   #20
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.robinson
I didn't get one either and will probably have to pay full price as only just paid money off on my credit card today so I could order and don't know when it'll clear. Anyone know when they started selling them? I might be able to squeeze my order in.
I think the website suggested that they are available at the reduced price until sometime on Saturday.