Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 08-02-2006, 17:09   #621
Spectre07
Trusted User

Sony have announced wholesale prices for Blu Ray discs here

'Catalog Blu-ray Disc titles will wholesale for $17.95, about the same as DVDs when that format came on the market in 1997. New-release Blu-ray Discs will wholesale for $23.45, a premium of about 15% to 20% over what suppliers were charging for new theatrical DVDs'.

So what's the retail mark-up? 10-15%?

Last edited by Spectre07; 08-02-2006 at 17:11.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 17:39   #622
Guest 44119
Banned

More than that I would imagine.

I know some retailers make a markup of 60%, on Pioneer equipement for example.

For example:
trade £1000
Retail £1600

Last edited by DK_UK; 08-02-2006 at 17:40.
Guest 44119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 18:31   #623
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin
Any recommended sites providing news and updates about Blu ray, HD DVD please?
thedigitalbits.com but any news will get posted here also, sometimes before them

Quote:
Where did you get this news from?
WHV press release. They also mention that the RRP for their discs on both formats will be $30 for catalogue titles. Obviously the price they charge will be lower but £12-15 is a pretty good price! Sony have also said they will charge $30 for catalogue and $34.95 for new releases.

The other news, is that the Blu-ray boxes WILL be thinner, as some of us spotted from the CES photo's. They will also be shorter and very slightly wider which I wasn't expecting! It seems like they're trying to reduce the storage space for retailers to ease concerns of stocking 2 or 3 formats. Interestingly warner are going to start using slim Amaray cases for DVD too.

See here

From my (probably incorrect) calculations it would allow 46% more stock to be carried or the same stock in 32% less space
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 20:11   #624
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj
WHV press release. They also mention that the RRP for their discs on both formats will be $30 for catalogue titles. Obviously the price they charge will be lower but £12-15 is a pretty good price!
Yeah right, £=$, so more like £30 at launch in the UK

Eventually they will drop in price but it took a long time for DVDs to drop that low.

Imports are still subject to whatever regional protections they apply and they may be more proactive in trying to prevent the purchase of any kind of "region free" player and blocking the import of titles in order to ensure their regional protection rackets (sorry, "markets" ).
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 21:18   #625
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Actually if you look at non discounted DVD prices in the states $30-$35 is what a new DVD costs so they are quite in line with current prices. Usually if you go into an American equivalent of HMV you will find them at this price.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 21:42   #626
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK_UK
More than that I would imagine.

I know some retailers make a markup of 60%, on Pioneer equipement for example.

For example:
trade £1000
Retail £1600
The mark up on Hardware is different. Retailers rely on volume of sales for software so the margins for DVD's, CD's etc won't be as high as they are for the players. I thought retailers here struggled to achieve double figure margins for things like DVD's.
Old 08-02-2006, 23:14   #627
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous
Actually if you look at non discounted DVD prices in the states $30-$35 is what a new DVD costs so they are quite in line with current prices. Usually if you go into an American equivalent of HMV you will find them at this price.
Indeed, but what I mean is over here the release price is unlikely to be £12 to £15 just because the exchange rate works out that way. More likely to be a RRP of £30 in HMV here
Old 09-02-2006, 00:03   #628
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
I'm not talking about the UK price, but the US price in pounds. Assuming we can import somehow, it's fairly reasonable.

Last edited by camaj; 09-02-2006 at 00:04.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:14   #629
GarethH
Idle

Quote:
I'm not talking about the UK price, but the US price in pounds. Assuming we can import somehow, it's fairly reasonable.
Yeah, I think we're looking at the £20 mark for new movies on import. I'd be quite happy to pay that providing they are Full HD, excellent sound options and good extras!

Last edited by GarethH; 09-02-2006 at 09:15.
GarethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 13:14   #630
Guest 1831
Banned

Quote:
thedigitalbits.com but any news will get posted here also, sometimes before them
thanks, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well.
Guest 1831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 15:14   #631
Guest 993
Trusted User

PS3 could be delayed still further as they are awaiting industry decisions on technology such as Blu-Ray.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4731128.stm
Old 20-02-2006, 22:52   #632
Ben Martin
Trusted User

while i have no doubt that the PS3 launch would be held up by these issues even if the hardware were finalised and ready to go, do they really expect us to believe this is the case? doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that this is just a convenient excuse to further hide the fact that the console doesn't really exist yet. just that hunk of plastic with no innards, along with an accompanying dev kit for developers.

i'd have a lot more time and respect for sony (not that they care what i think, mind) if they'd just be honest or at least, seeing as they do have their business credibility to protect (or what's left of it), didn't feed us quite so much marketure. this is particularly hard to believe in light of recent "revelations" that it probably won't be doing 1080p, let alone dual-1080p, and the statements by that guy they sacked - "vaporware" etc.

don't get me wrong, i don't want PS3 to fail and i don't own a 360. i'd just like to see sony play a bit straighter, and not unsult the intelligence of their loyal customers (of whom, i admit, i am not one - despite owning several sony items and being a longtime betamax fan!).

anyway, despite the PS3 = Blu-ray relevance, i'm at risk of going a bit OT here, so ...

Last edited by Ben Martin; 20-02-2006 at 22:53. Reason: Typo
Ben Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 00:56   #633
kiran_mk2
Trusted User

The format war could neuter the whole HD revolution. There was an interesting endgadget blog article about how MS is only backing HD-DVD so that both formats fail and they can push their own mediaPC plans forward. Both camps seem to have been too keen to bend to Hollywood's will (Blu-Ray more so than HD-DVD), there competition to arrive first has lead to several missed release-dates and to make matters worse, the first generation of players will be pretty useless as they probably won't support HDMI 1.3 so can't pass the new sound codecs and possibly won't be capable of 1080p playback.
With one format, they could have taken a stronger line with the studios and not rushed the release, releasing top quality players from the start.
kiran_mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 10:58   #634
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Did anyone see this posted on the PC Pro site last week (registration required)?
Quote:
HD DVD and Blu-ray threatened by AACS delay

The release dates for HD DVD and Blu-ray may have to be put back because of a failure of the AACS members to agree on the final specification of the DRM technology that both high definition disc formats will use.

HD DVD backers, led by Toshiba, are unlikely to be impressed, since the AACS (Advanced Access Content System) delay has been caused by BD+, anti-copying measures specific to Blu-ray that are designed to make its technology more appealing to movie studios.

These controls, announced last August, will enable content providers to immediately change the encryption scheme should it be hacked and thus prevent the entire DRM structure from being compromised.
Old 23-02-2006, 11:28   #635
Ben Martin
Trusted User

TheDigitalBits posted the following story later last week that seems to indicate that a workaround has been arranged so that the launch of HD-DVD is not delayed:
Quote:
Well... it's looking like HD-DVD may launch on time in March after all, but don't expect the format's full interactive features to be available in the first two players to market (Toshiba's HD-XA1 and HD-A1). Industry reports now indicate that an interim license for the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) has been obtained that will allow Toshiba to move forward with the format launch as planned. According to a story at Home Media Retailing, "the interim agreement gives hardware manufacturers and disc replicators access to secret encryption keys necessary to manufacture discs and players capable of reading them." Once the final AACS details are ironed out, you'll be able to update the two Toshiba players with a firmware upgrade. You can read more on this here at Video Business as well.
Ben Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 11:38   #636
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Cheers - I thought this was interesting too:
Quote:
FYI, don't expect full 1080p video to be an option on first generation players either (at least the first HD-DVD players). We've been told by player manufacturing sources involved with HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc that version 1.0 of the HDMI spec may only allow video pass-thru up to 1080i. On the other hand, we're also hearing that the HDMI people claim their spec CAN pass full 1080p, but that the manufacturers are cutting corners on their first generation players to save profit margins and are trying to pass the buck on the HDMI spec. We're checking on this and we'll post a follow-up on the issue next week.
What with the boringly mainstream list of launch titles, concerns over region coding and this, I can't see me being likely to get a player of either format in the first year; until there's a multi-region device (preferably dual format) that can output full 1080p to my chosen display I just can't justify getting anything.

OTOH, in order to stop me buying any more DVDs, a player that could output a downscaled SD to my current set up would help!

I also worry, having seen an SD vs HD display, that when I get HD I won't want to watch a DVD ever again...
SimonI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 12:18   #637
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI
Cheers - I thought this was interesting too:
Originally some manufacturers were telling people they couldn't do 1080p and blamed it on HDMI. HDMI though have said all versions are more than capable of 1080p with bandwidth to spare. They didn't mention HD audio though which is a different story.

Quote:
OTOH, in order to stop me buying any more DVDs, a player that could output a downscaled SD to my current set up would help!
All players will be able to do that AFAIK

HD-DVD kicked of their US tour this week and so far the reports, as you'd expect from demo's, are predicatably flawless, or close enough. So we know that if worst comes to worst both formats will be stunning when they're at there best

Also it now looks like NEC might switch to Blu-ray or support both thanks to it's merge with Sony. I don't think it would help Blu-ray much but it would possibly be a big blow to HD-DVD and would leave only Toshiba and Sanyo. More here

Last edited by camaj; 23-02-2006 at 12:26.
Old 23-02-2006, 13:43   #638
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI
I also worry, having seen an SD vs HD display, that when I get HD I won't want to watch a DVD ever again...
why's that?
Old 23-02-2006, 13:56   #639
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Simply because the SD source looked so awful in comparison (this was on a 50 odd inch display mind, so the greater size made it more obvious).
SimonI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 14:20   #640
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
why's that?
A lot of folk on the HTF have said that after getting used to watch films on the HD channels DVD no longer looked as good as it used to, suppose it is the same as not want to watch films of VHS once you realised how good DVD was.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote