Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 20:01   #1
Guest 522
Banned

The 'Official' MMA Thread

as we seem to get a discussion up in the TV forum whenever a PPV is about to be shown we thought it'd be neat to get a proper thread going, hopefully encouraging other people to get into the sport.

MMA = Mixed Martial Arts, made popular by UFC. over the last few years since its takeover, UFC has strived to become recognised as a mainstream sport and rightly so. rather than the "freakshow" it was labeled as in its early years, its become a great competition between fighters of all categories, and to me and many others is a lot more exciting than a standard boxing match.

Links !
if you have any links you wish to submit, stick em in a thread and just shout at me to add to this list.

Organisations

UFC - Website
Pride FC - Website
K-1 - Official | USA | Japan

Fan/News Sites

Sherdog - Website | Forums
MMA.tv - Website
FightSport - Website

Magazines

Full Contact Fighter - Website

Next Events...

UFC
UFC 48 {as yet untitled**
June 19th 2004
Main Event:
Ken Shamrock Vs Kemo
Card:
Phil Baroni Vs Evan Tanner (rematch)
Matt Hughes Vs Renato Verissimo
Tim Sylvia v Frank Mir (heavily rumoured) with winner facing Andrei Arlovski for the HW belt
Frank Trigg v Dennis Hallman (signed)

Pride
Pride Total Elimination
April 25th 2004
Main Event: n/a

now in the words of Big John McCarthy... Lets Get it On!

Last edited by JayX; 08-04-2004 at 20:03.
Old 07-04-2004, 20:54   #2
Guest 18852
Banned

There was a good magazine that I was getting last year called Ultimate Athlete but I'm not sure if it's still going as I haven't seen copy in a while and the old website seems to not exist anymore.

If you haven't read it Ken Shamrocks Inside the Lions Den is a good read half biography (which covers the first UFC events and some of the outrage behind them) and half training techniques.

So what are the thoughts on whether we'll see Tito Vs Murray at 48. Personally think it may be a bit soon for Tito to fight again but then again he seemed up for it at the weekend so who knows.

You can add Phil Baroni Vs Evan Tanner and Matt Hughes Vs Renato Verissimo as confirmed for 48 as well both of which should be good fights. Matt Hughes really didn't seem to give it his all against BJ Penn at 46 so will be interesting to see what he's like here.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:38   #3
Guest 522
Banned

i think the problem with tito/murray is the fact that after murrays first fight he called against the most well known ufc fighter ever. it doesn't look good on behalf of the company if they give him his way considering he doesn't have much past with them. but the fact that it 1. would be a great fight and 2. tito seems keen to fight him too might sway them. wouldn't look good for tito to get 3 losses in a row tho :/

and yeah, i'll add the other fights up now, was just gonna list the main events but might's well do the whole card. i'll look out for ken's book, as i could do with a good read and sounds interesting. used to enjoy reading the mick foley books, so this should be my kinda thing
Old 08-04-2004, 19:21   #4
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Despite what Murray said he doesn't want to fight Tito yet. Lee wants one or two more fights in the octagon before taking on Tito and when he does he wants paying the right price.

You can be sure that Zuffa and Tito want it now but Murray holds all the cards right now. I'd like to see them bring Rich Franklin back to fight Tito.

I got some more stuff for the top of the page...

UFC 48 matchups

Tim Sylvia v Frank Mir (heavily rumoured) with winner facing Andrei Arlovski for the HW belt
Frank Trigg v Dennis Hallman (signed)

and

www.fightsport.com - great for breaking exclusive stories, Sylvia situation was up there a week in advance and Tim even came out denied it then it was official a couple of days later.
Old 08-04-2004, 20:04   #5
Guest 522
Banned

ta, i'll have to check out fightsport. did u get my email? turns out anything going to my freeserve address was getting picked up by my parents because they'd setup their email wrong (was collecting the mail from the whole domain not just theirs! doh!)
Old 20-04-2004, 14:10   #6
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Mir vs Sylvia at UFC 48

It looks like Mir vs Sylvia will now be for the vacant HW belt...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=1598

I think 90% of people expect Mir to get KTFO R1 but i'll be rooting for him.

ttt for this JayX...

UFC 48: Payback

LAS VEGAS, NEV., April 19, 2004.

Tim Sylvia (18-0) vs Frank Mir (7-1) for the Heavyweight Championship.

Matt Hughes (36-4) vs Renato Verissimo (6-0-0)

Ken Shamrock (25-8-2) vs Kimo (10-3-1)

Phil Baroni (6-3-0) vs Evan Tanner (30-4-0)

Dennis Hallman (51-8-2) VS Frank Trigg (9-2)

Matt Serra (12-3) vs Ivan Menjivar (13-2)

Jason Miller (22-4) vs Georges St. Pierre (6-0).

Lee Murray is likely to fight on this card aswell possibly against Joe Riggs.

www.ironlife.com - a great site with lots of highlight reels to d/l.

The card for the next weeks opening round of the PRIDE HW GP is nearly finalised, just waiting on the last two names, hopefully one of them will be a biggie.
Old 23-04-2004, 19:46   #7
Guest 8631
Trusted User

PRIDE Heavyweight Grand Prix
April 25th, 2004 (opening round)
Saitama Super Arena
Saitama, Japan

16-man GP:
Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira vs. Hirotaka Yokoi
Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic vs. Kevin Randleman
Fedor Emelianenko vs. Mark Coleman
Murilo 'Ninja' Rua vs. Sergei Kharitonov
Heath Herring vs. Yoshiki Takahashi
Naoya Ogawa vs Stefan Leko
Semmy Schilt vs. Gan McGee
'Giant' Silva vs. Sentoryu.

-----------

Not long to go now, should take place (live) early afternoon on Sunday so watch out for them spoilers.

Im looking most forward to Crocop/Randleman, Ninja/Kharotonov and the final matchup just announced between Semmy Shilt and Gan McGee. My money is on Fedor all the way though!

Oh and here is a promo spot for Tim Sylvia vs Frank Mir at UFC 48...

http://www.ufc.tv/assets/UFC_FTP/48_hw.wmv
(save as)
Old 23-04-2004, 23:32   #8
Guest 8631
Trusted User

For any lurkers in this thread here is a HL reel from the last UFC which was a great show...

Ultimate Fighting Championship 47 Highlight

-----------------------------
By: Rhys
Duration: 15:42 mins
Format: MPG
Size: 156 MB

http://65.75.159.140/videos/UFC_47_h..._(by_Rhys).mpg

Right click and "save as"...
Old 24-04-2004, 08:19   #9
Guest 18852
Banned

Cheers for the link to the Highlight clip . Managed to get hold of Tito/Liddell but not seen the rest. After getting 46 on PPV I decided against getting 47 (man was I upset when Randy lost and they could have shown a prelim to make up for it). But it looks like 47 was a very good event and and they even threw in some of the prelims.

Off to SENI tomorrow and they're showing UFC46 today and should be for sale on DVD as well over the weekend.

Anyone have any news on the rumours of Goldberg going to Pride?

Last edited by masterchief; 24-04-2004 at 08:20.
Old 24-04-2004, 09:41   #10
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinning Plates
Naoya Ogawa

Now this is something that I want to see!!!

I think it's a three-horse race between Nogueira, Mirko and Fedor. I'll go with Mirko, as I think he is a tad unhappy at losing to Nogueira last year.

Last edited by dmb6473a; 24-04-2004 at 09:44.
Old 24-04-2004, 09:46   #11
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by masterchief
Anyone have any news on the rumours of Goldberg going to Pride?

The last I heard is that he's going (with Steve Austin) to either Zero One or Hustle. Both are affiliates of Pride, but feature worked wrestling matches and not shoots. Goldberg in a shootfight (as his age and with no recent MMA experience) is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by dmb6473a; 24-04-2004 at 20:29.
Old 28-04-2004, 00:12   #12
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Well it finally looks like Sundays Pride GP is making its way to the newsgroups. Phew...
Old 30-04-2004, 12:10   #13
dmb6473a
Trusted User

I haven't watched it yet, but had heard that many believed that the Ogawa match was going to be worked (i.e. pre-determined like pro wrestling). I hope this isn't the case, but having read enough about him over the years, it wouldn't surprise me.

The other rumour was that he was getting paid close to $1m for the fight!!!
Old 30-04-2004, 17:24   #14
Guest 8631
Trusted User

SPOILERS

-

-

-

-

Well again awesome show coming on the back of UFC 47.

Heath Herring got a free pass against Takahashi, he was way smaller than Herring and bar the guilltine attempt just got beat on once it went to the ground.

I was impressed with the job the russian Kharitonov did on Ninja. No way is Ninja able to fight at HW, wish Pride would have got a legit HW in his place. Kharitonov is a dark horse for this tourny though for sure

LMAO of Giant Silva v Miller. Geez it was funny listening to Silva grunt when trying for the Kimura, he sounded like Chewbacca. Fair play to him though, atleast he is trying to develop some skills. Miller the fat sumo wrestler though didn't have a clue. A simple forward roll and he could of got out of that sub. Instead his tubby lard ass just sits there and taps out. So many better fighters Pride could of got but they insist on freak shows like these.

Shilt v McGee was decent fight. I think McGee has been overrated though. He started well taking Shilt down and getting mount but didn't know what to do once he got there. He also gassed really quickly while on top and before long Semmy was doing more damage from the bottom. Shilt pulled out of the attempted leg lock put was gifted the armbar by McGee.

Leko v Ogawa definately had a whiff of a work. Ogawa rocked Leko standing then did a number on him on the ground before getting the choke. I guess we will know if the fight was for real or not by seeing how Ogawa does in the next round.

Randleman did an awesome job against Crocop! No one gave him a chance coming into this fight and to knock Mirko out was a shock and a half. I think Crocop needs to go back to the drawing board, he is becoming to one dimensional, always looking for the left kick. I dont think he threw one punch or kick the whole fight. Good to see Randleman back in the spotlight though. He has been so frustrating in the past, the guy is a specimen but maybe he is about to make up for that now.

I was very impressed with Yokoi against Nog. He was holding his own in the first round with him but ran out of gas and Nogueira sunk that unorthodox choke on him which was sweet.

Fedor what can you say. The man is a legend in the making. He was getting dominated throughout the fight then out of nowhere executes an armbar from the guard in the blink of an eye. The tournament is his for the taking. Coleman did great up until then but he made a split second mistake that cost him the fight which is a shame cuz it looked like he really thought he could win.

Anyway great event and looking forward to the next round on June 20th with UFC48 the previous day.

Last edited by Spinning Plates; 30-04-2004 at 17:25.
Old 01-05-2004, 19:08   #15
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Just finished watching this, and it was a decent but not great show (nowhere near the level of the Middleweight tournament last year).

To have Giant Silva in the final eight hurts the credibility of the tournament, as does the worked Ogawa match (no way was that a shoot - the quote below seems to back this up). Hopefully, his next match will be legit, although I think they'll protect him until the final four (most likely putting him over Silva in the next round).

The Cro Cop loss has to be the shock of the year. His stock is on the verge of collapsing. I think it weakens the tournament with him gone, as I can't see Randleman getting lucky for three more fights.

I can't see anyone beating Fedor (who looked the most impressive on the night) or Nogueira, until they meet. Although, I still want to see what Ogawa can do.

This weeks Wrestling Observer is going to be interesting: -

Quote:
We look at what Pride is trying to do for Cro Cop at this point as well as where the Grand Prix stands. We look at the hidden items not talked about regarding several of the fighters on the show. We also have what will be the most in-depth look at the controversy coming out of the show surrounding Naoya Ogawa. There is a lot in here that people won't want to be reading about Ogawa, why he was protected, as well as different ways to work fights.

EDIT: -

Just read that the next round has been lined up as: -

Herring vs. Kharitonov
Silva vs. Schilt
Ogawa vs. Randleman
Nogueira vs. Emelianenko

Surely that last match has to be a mistake (unless they're thinking that they need the big one now - just in case one of them does a "Cro Cop").

Last edited by dmb6473a; 01-05-2004 at 19:19.
Old 03-05-2004, 13:48   #16
Guest 8631
Trusted User

That line up is nearly right dmb6473a...

my picks

Herring vs. Kharitonov
Silva vs. Schilt
Nogueira vs. Ogawa
Fedor vs. Randleman
Old 03-05-2004, 14:17   #17
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinning Plates
That line up is nearly right dmb6473a...

my picks

Herring vs. Kharitonov
Silva vs. Schilt
Nogueira vs. Ogawa
Fedor vs. Randleman

That's typical of Pride. Don't be surprised if those aren't the fights when the event takes place. They have a habit of making changes up until the very last minute. The official website doesn't seem to have a line-up announced, so I think it's pretty much speculation at the moment.

The Ogawa fight would surprise me. I'd expect them to keep him away from Nogueira/Fedor until the final four. Don't be surprised to see him win a worked match, to set up a big money Heavyweight Title fight in the future.

Last edited by dmb6473a; 03-05-2004 at 14:27.
Old 18-05-2004, 14:26   #18
Guest 8631
Trusted User

K-1 'ROMANEX' CARD

K-1: 'Romanex'
May 22nd, 2004
Saitama Super Arena
Saitama, Japan

Bob Sapp vs. Kazuyuki Fujita
Alexey Ignashov vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Nakao
Josh Barnett vs. Rene Rooze
Gary Goodridge vs. Sylvester Terkay
B.J. Penn vs. Duane Ludwig
Royler Gracie vs. Genki Sudo
Sam Greco vs. 'Lyoto' Machida
Tom Howard vs. 'Blue Wolf'
Norifumi 'Kid' Yamamoto vs. TBA

What an excellent card!!

Penn vs. Ludwig, Sapp vs. Fujita, Sudo vs. Gracie all quality matchups. Keep an eye out for Lyoto aswell, the guy is a future star.

Also it is rumoured B.J. Penn has been stripped of his UFC welterweight title for competing on this K-1 MMA card. You can't blame him though, K-1 are paying megabucks and stealing fighters from other organisations.

Penn is rumoured to be getting $150,000 for this fight whereas he was only on $25,000/$25,000 for his UFC title shot against Matt Hughes.

Last edited by Spinning Plates; 18-05-2004 at 14:28.
Old 18-05-2004, 19:09   #19
dmb6473a
Trusted User

It definitely looks like a better card than the last one in Las Vegas. There's an MMA vs' New Japan Pro Wrestling look to the card, with Sapp, Fujita, Nakamura, Barnett and Blue Wolf on the show.

I can't believe that Don Frye is still fighting, though. He's one more injury away from paralysis or even worse.
Old 22-05-2004, 21:59   #20
dmb6473a
Trusted User

K1 results: -

Quote:
--Results from the first ever K-1 full MMA show that just ended at the Saitama Super Arena:
*Blue Wolf b Tom Howard - knees to head, corner threw in towel
*Lyoto b Sam Greco - split decision
*Gary Goodridge b Predator with a series of punches standing
*Josh Barnett b Rene Rozee, takedown and ground & pound very quickly
*Genki Sudo b Royler Gracie - Sudo controlled him whole fight, beat him via G&P and ref stoppage
*B.J. Penn b Duane Ludwig, takedown and choke very quickly
*Don Frye NC Yoshihiro Nakao. Their heads crashed hard early. Frye was cut very deep and it was stopped. Since it was inadvertent, that was the rule
*Shinsuke Nakamura b Alexey Ignashov via guillotine. That's a big one for Nakamura
*Kazuyuki Fujita b Bob Sapp via takedown and destroyed him very fast. MMA is no place for guys who don't have time to train
Closed Thread