Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion > Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix Comments

Notices

Old 24-05-2011, 05:34   #1
Guest 10924

[Cinema Review] Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Comments attached to the Cinema Review 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' on Movies @ The Digital Fix

Argh! It's another Pirates of the Caribbean movie, me hearties! Be you wanting to see it?...

Click here to read!
Guest 10924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 05:34   #2
Guest 48851
Trusted User

For my sins I'm a bit of a Pirate buff and despite the many flaws of the original trilogy I enjoyed them immensely, many nods to pirate lore.

I went to this sequel with high spirits, no prior knowledge, safe in the assumption that with the same writing team inplace I'd have an entertaining evening.

Unfortunately I was pretty bored, the film made little sense to me with a plot just as convoluted as At World's End. They seemed to have a real trouble in starting the quest with a good 40 mins wasted on a complicated set-up with multiple confusing motivations for tying Jack into the proceedings. Pirates doesn't really do villains as they are all loveable rogues with valid motivations for their actions, but Blackbeard and his daughter's role were very sloppily implemented, creating an extremely weak finale. The Spanish have a great intro, but are disappointingly neglected for most of the running time.

The film is slightly burdened with the need to setup the backtory for parts 2 & 3. We have the Spanish as the replacements for the Royal Navy/East India Company, the Mermaids bring in the mythic/folklore element al a Davey Jones. Barbosa gets a new ship, Jack get the Pearl. Part 2 will hopefully be better formed.
Guest 48851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 06:17   #3
Guest 155
Trusted User

This film is "suggested" by Tim Powers's novel On Stranger Tides, which has just been reissued in the UK by Corvus. I have a review copy to hand.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 07:13   #4
ian turner
Trusted User

Quote:
many nods to pirate lore
Such as the Captain being effectively elected by the crew so in the event of a serious disagreement they would elect another captain hence no such thing as a mutiny
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 08:10   #5
Primus
Trainee Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Couzens
This film is "suggested" by Tim Powers's novel On Stranger Tides, which has just been reissued in the UK by Corvus. I have a review copy to hand.
Look forward to a review Gary. I realised that I didn't mention the book in my review, but given that it apparently bares little resemblance to it, the oversight can hopefully be forgiven.
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 22:58   #6
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I'll be the lone voice of dissent and confess that I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did the people I saw it with. I had pretty low expectations to be fair, but it certainly enhanced my Tuesday evening. Mind you, I have a weakness for films with plenty of prime ham from the likes of Geoffrey Rush and Richard Griffiths. I charitably presume the former was letting himself go after his beautifully understated turn in "The King's Speech".

On the point about the director, I didn't notice much directing at all really since the actors were clearly doing whatever they wanted and the effects, second unit and stunt teams were presumably responsible for much of the rest.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 21:52   #7
nmirza
Da original haramzada

Saw it last night. Absolutely loved it.

Nuff said.
nmirza is offline   Reply With Quote