Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25   #1021
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Part 1 was awful and Part 2 was only marginally better. The story made very little sense whatsoever, and Davies not only created one more super-power for the Doctor but it was one that completely invalidated the end of the fourth Doctor. This aside, it was just a predictable fairground ride from one unoriginal, bad idea to the next.

So many plot holes you don't really know where to begin - the most obvious one being why didn't he just use the sonic screwdriver to vent the radiation? That chamber might well be shielded, but it clearly wasn't soundproof. The Doctor only regenerated because of a hastily put-together and not thought through contrivance.

You've got to thank Russell Davies for bringing the show back, but this simply illustrated that maybe he stayed for too long. We can moan about many of his stories but there was always at least a few cracking ideas in them. This was a Davies story where he appears to have run out of ideas and so resorted to pinching everyone else's. Rather tragic in a way, but I guess it did enough to say goodbye to Tennant.

I don't want the show to change that much under Moffat. I mean, the formula is unchanged and will always be brilliant. All I ask for - and what I think we'll actually get based on his previous work - will be stories with a point that actually make sense.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:59   #1022
Richie
Trusted User

I thought this was crap from mediocre start to brain-numbing finish. It was just complete rubbish with zero point especially the Wilfred connection and that woman who appeared to him (HOW and WHY)? The timelords served no purpose (the whole plot is a big "Eh?!?") and well, it was all so very annoying.
I only watched this 2-parter as it was Tennant's last (I missed the previous 2 specials in 2009) and wish I hadn't bothered it was that bad.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16   #1023
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Wow, how bad was that? In fact it was rather depressing to watch. Not exactly a good send off for Tennant. Loved his last line though. And the preview for the new series has me excited. Watching it a few times it looks like Matt Smith might bring a weird kind of wacky energy to the role. With less gurning

Last edited by Mevlock; 02-01-2010 at 12:17.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:17   #1024
the thing with no name
ex-B&B owner

I enjoyed this better than part one, mind you, I'm not a hard-core DW fan and just dip in and out occasionally (I keep an eye out on the Sky channels for 'Blink' as i missed that amongst others)
a few times i had tears in my eyes so someone did sometihng right!
The worst bit was Wilf at the church saluting the doctor then starting to break down knowing he'd never see him again (just the thought of Bernard Cribbins breaking down crying would set me off! )
Yes it borrowed loads of things from other, mostly better sci-fi
Yes there were plot holes galore (and i too hated the doctor being able to drop out of the ship relatively un-harmed)
But it was fun, and kept me involved, and a bit sad to see Tennant go
Not too sure about Matt's gurning face, but i'll give him time
Old 02-01-2010, 12:35   #1025
Guest 3637
Trusted User

A poor over indulgent finale imho. There was no point in the master taking over humanity storyline other than to fill out the first part. The final confrontation between the Dr and the timelords was so anti climactic, when it should have been the main threat and built up over the two parts. The whole' saying goodbye part' could have been chopped out and felt shoe horned in, especially the Martha and token gay agenda parts. It was just clumsy.

RTD writes great one on one scenes, but for large high stakes drama he falls down badly imho.

OFC we all know they will use the escape of the timelords to bring back the master, the daleks and other over used enemies.

I really hope Moffet takes advantage of this so called clean start and uses it to create something new and different to RTD.

Last edited by Neil Smalley; 02-01-2010 at 12:39.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:47   #1026
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smalley View Post
The whole' saying goodbye part' could have been chopped out and felt shoe horned in, especially the Martha and token gay agenda parts. It was just clumsy.
Yes but that was the only enjoyable part of the whole 135 minutes.
Old 02-01-2010, 13:43   #1027
vulture
Undisputed

This is how regenerations are done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9guppmpyM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvAenK95PfQ

Just proves Tennant was a pussy when it came to his regeneration. The others just got on with it.

Edit: forgot how hot Peri was

Last edited by vulture; 02-01-2010 at 13:52.
Old 02-01-2010, 15:03   #1028
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

I wasn't particularly chuffed with the negating of Logopolis' regeneration either, but couldn't begrudge the team their big farewell (which felt a lot like the finale of Six Feet Under - probably no coincidence).

I'm not sure the production team fully understand how guns work, though. Was it necessary (or even possible) for the Doctor to cock the revolver every time he pointed it at someone different?
Old 02-01-2010, 15:13   #1029
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,341 Times in 682 Posts
I thought it was far, far better than part one - still too much going on, but at least RTD turned in some decent writing this time around. I liked.
Old 02-01-2010, 15:24   #1030
Ragnarak
Trusted User

Maybe I missed it but what happened with Donna?

There was the whole fuss of wiping her memory and her NEVER EVER being able to remember or her brain would EXPLODE and it just seems like she remembered stuff, magically knocked out the chasing masters and then collapsed.

The Doctor made some comment about having a safety switch for her or something but it wasn't very clear what happened..?
Old 02-01-2010, 15:48   #1031
Xenole
Trusted User

Awful. At least the new doctor isn't exactly the same as the old one from what we saw of him........hang on, yes he is. What a shocker!

Did George Lucas come up with the idea for the space bar then?
Old 02-01-2010, 15:50   #1032
nicknack
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smalley View Post
The whole' saying goodbye part' could have been chopped out and felt shoe horned in
Having just watched confidential I can appreciate RTD wanting to do the farewell scenes - the characters were part of his era in charge of the show and Moffat may not want to use them again - so quite fitting for us to see them for one last time.
Old 02-01-2010, 16:03   #1033
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak View Post
Maybe I missed it but what happened with Donna?

There was the whole fuss of wiping her memory and her NEVER EVER being able to remember or her brain would EXPLODE and it just seems like she remembered stuff, magically knocked out the chasing masters and then collapsed.

The Doctor made some comment about having a safety switch for her or something but it wasn't very clear what happened..?
RTD pulled out a Deus Ex Machina there with his usual actual god-like powers thing. I guess he just wanted to have some extra peril for Donna to give the cliffhanger on part 1 something more. Completely pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknack View Post
Having just watched confidential I can appreciate RTD wanting to do the farewell scenes - the characters were part of his era in charge of the show and Moffat may not want to use them again - so quite fitting for us to see them for one last time.
It would have been fitting but only if they were actually put into the story's context like in the last finalé. Here we just got an increasingly ridiculous extended death section.

The Doctor has to be in the TARDIS to regenerate, is that right? I was thinking like someone said that maybe he'd uncurl in the Star Trek II radiation chamber and be the new Doctor but then I thought this wasn't possible due to needing the TARDIS.
Old 02-01-2010, 16:06   #1034
barrynorton
The Falklands are British

tom baker regenerated outside of his tardis.
Old 02-01-2010, 16:11   #1035
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrynorton View Post
tom baker regenerated outside of his tardis.
Not that it counts but so did McGann. Pertwee did too. Not only that but Pertwee got an enormous radiation exposure and spent weeks "lost in the time vortex" trying to get home before turning into Baker, so the idea of Tennant having time to visit old chums isn't completely without precedent since he "died" of the same causes.
Old 02-01-2010, 16:12   #1036
Harsin

Regenerating on a council estate would have been a fitting capper to the RTD era.
Old 02-01-2010, 16:19   #1037
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

.... while watching Jeremy Kyle
Old 02-01-2010, 16:20   #1038
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
Not that it counts but so did McGann. Pertwee did too. Not only that but Pertwee got an enormous radiation exposure and spent weeks "lost in the time vortex" trying to get home before turning into Baker, so the idea of Tennant having time to visit old chums isn't completely without precedent since he "died" of the same causes.

Where do we get the McGann into Ecclestone? Or you mean McCoy in the movie?

Thinking back, I thought the TARDIS was needed because the Master seemed to need it to regenerate at the end of RTD's 3rd Series. I must have just misunderstood.
Old 02-01-2010, 16:47   #1039
Guest 8751
Trusted User

if that extended farewell means no more

Rose/Rose's Mother
Ricky/Micky
Martha
Captain Jack and pointless gay throw away plot points. Captain Jack was supposed be bisexual, but that seems to have been completely forgotten about.

then it will have been worth it
Old 02-01-2010, 17:12   #1040
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

There's certainly a precedent for the Doctor needing the Tardis to recover from regeneration (which even RTD observed in The Christmas Invasion, sort of).

The fifth Doctor had a special room and everything, though that got jettisoned in the same story...
Closed Thread