Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 21-01-2008, 01:43   #341
Guest 37422
Trusted User

you calling me a "fan boi" ? lol.
Guest 37422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 01:50   #342
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1LVERBACK View Post
you calling me a "fan boi" ? lol.
No certainly not. I'm talking about the must resist guy and the one who's just said HD-DVD is a clear winner, or whatever he said. What I was trying to say is that I take it you're one of the posters who can't see a huge difference (in hardware) between the two formats. Like me.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 02:10   #343
Guest 37422
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
No certainly not. I'm talking about the must resist guy and the one who's just said HD-DVD is a clear winner, or whatever he said. What I was trying to say is that I take it you're one of the posters who can't see a huge difference (in hardware) between the two formats. Like me.
only messing mate

well from what i have seen on blu vs hd pic wise and soundwise i cant say there is anything in it (just my honest opinion,not a pop at blu or blind devotion) i cant do a side by side and i dont really wont to buy 2 copys of the same film on different formats just to do a "swap hdmi input connection to check the picture" lol.my mate loves his blu ray and has a very different setup to me but the films i have on hd that he has on blu i cant really see any difference but his contrast,colour and backlight differences.
Old 21-01-2008, 02:35   #344
bosque
Trusted User

But for some reason the Blue Ray 3:10 to Yuma looks amazing, better I'm convinced than it would've looked on HD-DVD, havent seem another hi-definition disc look this good and that includes Zodiac. And I'm someone who has to stifle a grimace whenever I play blu.
Old 21-01-2008, 05:26   #345
Guest 37422
Trusted User

Quote:
But for some reason the Blue Ray 3:10 to Yuma looks amazing, better I'm convinced than it would've looked on HD-DVD,
really ? very interesting i wonder if its a one off or the start of a real "blu ray is better because of the size" theory.

Last edited by S1LVERBACK; 21-01-2008 at 05:27.
Old 21-01-2008, 05:43   #346
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsteve68 View Post
one thing for certain...nearly every hd player test with HD-DVD and blu ray players tested side by side, the HD-DVD player wins, but anyway i predicted last year that blu ray would win if ps3 sales pciked up and it was obvious that this war fuelled the ps3 price drop
I the only times i have seen head to head comparasons are in those AV magazines. I picked up a mates copy of Home Cinema back in Dec and they were so overwelmingly biased to HD-DVD that it makes people accusing of these forums of having a bias laughable. It stops short of giving away a free badge on the cover saying "I 'heart' HD-DVD"

They keeped comparing the latest HD-DVD players with an outdated review of the PS3 (Saying in dec 2007 that the PS3 is still £470 and doesn't have a remote control).
Old 21-01-2008, 07:09   #347
Guest 37422
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
a free badge on the cover saying "I 'heart' HD-DVD"
if only you could get those badges.
Old 21-01-2008, 08:22   #348
Guest 1046
Creamstick Bandito

Quote:
if only you could get those badges.
*whisper* there's a badge making-kit in the Boots sale.. i didn't get one or nuffink, it was for me daughter.. yeah.. me daughter..*whisper*
Guest 1046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 12:16   #349
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
only messing mate

well from what i have seen on blu vs hd pic wise and soundwise i cant say there is anything in it (just my honest opinion,not a pop at blu or blind devotion) i cant do a side by side and i dont really wont to buy 2 copys of the same film on different formats just to do a "swap hdmi input connection to check the picture" lol.my mate loves his blu ray and has a very different setup to me but the films i have on hd that he has on blu i cant really see any difference but his contrast,colour and backlight differences.
The only title I've had on both formats and really compared was Planet Earth.
I couldn't see any difference between the two formats.
Presumably though, the same encode was used for both versions (like Warner currently do) so they should be identical. It's easier and cheaper for dual-format studios to compromise (I was going to say "dumb-down", but that might have been a bit incendiary, LOL) and use an encode that HD DVD can handle.

As for 3:10 to Yuma; maybe it looks better because it is better. People here say that the two formats are technically identical, but the fact is that Blu-ray is technically "better". Not so much bucause of capacity, but more bitrate, and dedicated bandwidth for videa and audio.
I'm not saying that makes a huge gulf between formats, because it doesn't, and much of the high quality stuff we see (on both formats) is down to skillful encoders.

Bosque, I didn't say HD DVD was trashy as a format, I said that the A2 HD DVD player from the big Wal*Mart sale in October looked cheap and nasty.
And it still does.
Guest 12934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 12:52   #350
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
But for some reason the Blue Ray 3:10 to Yuma looks amazing, better I'm convinced than it would've looked on HD-DVD, havent seem another hi-definition disc look this good and that includes Zodiac. And I'm someone who has to stifle a grimace whenever I play blu.
Having said this, I've just seen the HD-DVD exclusive The Kingdom which has a PQ different but just as stunning as the Blu Yuma so I would say very often the transfer quality of a disc is heavily dependent on choice of camera stock and lighting on new equipment being emphasised by the new equal formats.
Old 22-01-2008, 00:06   #351
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

More FUD for the "BD is better" bandwagon: Bill Hunt's 'Rumor Mill' at the Bits is saying that Universal's plans to go Blu may be hampered by their current crop of HD encodes, which apparently "aren't good enough" and will have to be redone. I've heard some corkers in my time, but that takes the biscuit.

Does this mean that Warners will redo their entire HDM catalogue (up to May '08 ) because they were similarly optimised for the constraints of HD DVD's 30gb limit? Of course it bloody doesn't.

Sure, Universal have issued their fair share of stinkers, but then so have Fox, Sony et al. What a crock of ****.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 00:16   #352
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
More FUD for the "BD is better" bandwagon: Bill Hunt's 'Rumor Mill' at the Bits is saying that Universal's plans to go Blu may be hampered by their current crop of HD encodes, which apparently "aren't good enough" and will have to be redone. I've heard some corkers in my time, but that takes the biscuit.
It does seem odd, although it's not as if they need to make something up to make Blu-ray look good right now.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 23:06   #353
Guest 993
Trusted User

See this is the reason why Blu-Ray has had so much success. It's articles like this...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/21...-is-going-blu/

Utter "FUD" (to put it in Blu's favoured put down term). Still, regardless of the utterly baseless fantasy, Engadget (now firmly Blu and should be noted it funded by Time Warner), still will not pull stories like this.

This is how the campaign has been fought all along. Pro Blu sites and sponsored campaigns that start with baseless rumours and the Yanks believe it. Then it becomes reality because that's what they buy.

Anyway, as for the HD encodes, what a load of crap. There's no technical difference between the two when it comes to encoding that would account for it, and besides all of Warner's releases have been I believe identical on both formats. Has Bill even watched an HD movie or does he just sit there spouting propaganda?

(oh, and Bill is a big favourite on Engadget).
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 07:35   #354
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny View Post
See this is the reason why Blu-Ray has had so much success. It's articles like this...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/21...-is-going-blu/

Utter "FUD" (to put it in Blu's favoured put down term). Still, regardless of the utterly baseless fantasy, Engadget (now firmly Blu and should be noted it funded by Time Warner), still will not pull stories like this.

Well, they do have a clear agenda, yes.

But, "baseless fantasy?" The product was on Amazon as Blu Ray until last night when it was corrected. It IS a product that has already been (Anchorman apart) released on Blu Ray in the US.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 12:22   #355
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Im assuming this one must be a reprint then? Only £9.74

http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/Posters...95_505821.html
Hmm.. I wonder why it's suddenly shot up in price!!
Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 14:21   #356
Guest 37422
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamstick View Post
*whisper* there's a badge making-kit in the Boots sale.. i didn't get one or nuffink, it was for me daughter.. yeah.. me daughter..*whisper*
just seen this reply
Old 29-01-2008, 10:54   #357
sharp_circle
Fantasist

so has blu ray won or what?
Old 29-01-2008, 15:21   #358
NicolaUK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
so has blu ray won or what?