Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 16-11-2007, 20:41   #261
ozric99
there is nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Time to ask the mods to cut this fanboy crap.
Yeah, that's what I did. You, horseflesh, deadkenny, zotar, vogon et al are turning every thread in this forum **** with your impotent willy waving.

We get it - you guys disagree on which shiny disc is better. It's boring.

Please find something else to fail at.
ozric99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 21:10   #262
Dan
Passed away :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozric99 View Post
Yeah, that's what I did. You, horseflesh, deadkenny, zotar, vogon et al are turning every thread in this forum **** with your impotent willy waving.

I really don't think i'm as bad as the others you name.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 21:59   #263
ozric99
there is nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I really don't think i'm as bad as the others you name.
Granted, there are several tiers
ozric99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 22:12   #264
Guest 33117
Trusted User

Keep a look out for 3 for 2 offers on BD soon

Last edited by goona25; 16-11-2007 at 22:22.
Guest 33117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 23:24   #265
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goona25 View Post
Keep a look out for 3 for 2 offers on BD soon
Do they join just to post pro-format comments ? I've noticed how they respond to one another (agressively if in reply to a pro-format supporter of the other side), but never respond to comments about their monomania from those with no ax to grind .
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 23:38   #266
Guest 33117
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosque View Post
Do they join just to post pro-format comments ? I've noticed how they respond to one another (agressively if in reply to a pro-format supporter of the other side), but never respond to comments about their monomania from those with no ax to grind .
Moi? Join date-July 2003...somewhat before HD discussions began my friend.

I'm just letting people know. I'm still undecided thanks. Pick on a proper fanboy.
Guest 33117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 00:43   #267
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
Xmas is going to be make or break for either format this year
Xmas is always make or break. But for Hidef disks its xmas next year at the earliest.

Neither will win or lose this time round.

In my household its HD DVD:0 , BR : 0. And its likely to remain that way for two reasons, little imputus to move on to a more limited format and the Kiwi market ignored by the CE companies.

If Ms sold the 360 HD DVD addon with the freebie disks like the US, or if Tosh's HD-A2/3 were priced that way (with the free disks) here I'd be onto it right away.
Old 17-11-2007, 01:16   #268
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozric99 View Post

It's not about which is better (politics aside, neither are), it's about cutting through the ******** and getting some down to some real facts and a sense of perspective that all.

Personally I'd rather just one format wins, whatever format, so we can get rid of this crap and get on with our lives. Either that or both just give up and scrap the whole idea now.

Besides that, did you really expect a thread with this title to go any other way. If you don't want to see an advocacy thread don't pick advocacy threads that clearly are pitting one thing against another

Sheesh, it baffles me how people get as wound up about other people getting wound up as much as those people get wound up

Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 02:16   #269
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny View Post
It's not about which is better (politics aside, neither are), it's about cutting through the ******** and getting some down to some real facts and a sense of perspective that all.

Personally I'd rather just one format wins, whatever format, so we can get rid of this crap and get on with our lives. Either that or both just give up and scrap the whole idea now.

Besides that, did you really expect a thread with this title to go any other way. If you don't want to see an advocacy thread don't pick advocacy threads that clearly are pitting one thing against another

Sheesh, it baffles me how people get as wound up about other people getting wound up as much as those people get wound up

You know what.......you have a point!!!! LOL
Guest 12934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 02:28   #270
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Its embarasing the industry got to this situation IMo and they deserve some flak for it.

With CD & DVD the format war was fought before the disks came out. Very few minority support formats actualy end up working (I could point to examples but for some reason there all sony...)
Old 17-11-2007, 09:24   #271
Guest 14814
Trusted User

I'm currently HD neutral and am one who will take the wait-and-see approach before buying into the HD market but having read this thread, I think it can be summed up with what Roger says in the aforementioned link:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/09...ding-november/

Quote:
roger_huston @ Nov 10th 2007 12:37PM
Yea, watching the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray people fight it out is like watching two ants fight. "No, I am one percent of the market." "Oh, no your are not, I AM one percent if the market."

I especially love the people who try to persuade people based on technical merit. Since when did being better mean you won anything? Did VHS beat Beta because it was better? Did George Bush become president because he was better?

Of course the bigger question here is what will the winner take home? Will anyone care? Or is this a battle in a war that is already over and like the audio format war that preceded it?

Quick, someone please tell me how much better Blu-Ray is than HD-DVD and where did I put my Kool-aid.
Guest 14814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:53   #272
Guest 56581
Banned

All this talk of sales ratios is pretty meaningless imo. Its still like 1% of the DVD market. Yes Blu Ray has been selling more disks. And has a few more disks currently available.

In terms of content I seee little difference in quality, number of blockbusters, etc.

Although from what I have seen, the interactive features on HD DVD seem to be far better. e.g. online feature downloads on Transformers.

The future mass market is standalone players. HD DVD seems to be winning hands down there. imo thats due to the fact that HD DVD players are half the cost, and are a stable completed format.

The reason Blu Ray disk sales are currently 'higher' is a couple of million PS3s. They have a very low attach rate compared to standalone players though.

Once mass market sales of standalone players take off, the PS3 become insignificant in the big picture and you will be talking 10s of millions of standalone players. Which if current trends continue will be overwhelmingly HD DVD.

I think thats what Paramount and Dreamworks realised and why they decided to jump from the sinking Sony ship. Not to mention they could grab a wad of cash as well.

Last edited by thevogon; 17-11-2007 at 16:09.
Guest 56581 is offline   Reply With Quote