Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 14-08-2007, 21:14   #41
ajw000
Trusted User

Just come back from Billy Liar, fantastic transfer again, never seen the film before and loved the last 45 minutes, the shift in tone was fabulous Not actually been that anxious watching a film in a long time during the whole build up him stay or going*, handled superbly.

*how on earth could he turn down Julie Christie :
ajw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 08:25   #42
gZa
Trusted User

Another cock up at the cinema last night!
This time they couldn't get it to work at all! Same problem as last week (no picture only sound). Wouldn't have minded so much but they delayed the screening 30 minutes, apparently to fix it and then upon letting everyone in the proceeded to run it sans picture for 3 minutes until I went to grab someone. Then the usual apologies, refund and complimentery ticket...but still a pain in the arse! What's the deal with these new digital projectors surely they'd be idiot proof?!
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 14:57   #43
Guest 45586
Trusted User

The third documentary in this strand was an absolute disgrace. It tried to cover country house period dramas and colonial adventures and misadventures - that included Room With a View, The Go-Between, Mary Poppins, Sound of Music (I kid you not), Tom Jones, Draughtsman's Contract, Lawrence of Arabia and Gandhi. It was a complete and utter horlicks, with an asinine commentary and some of the grubbiest clips I've ever seen. No mention of Barry Lyndon, natch, nor Zulu nor Light Brigade.

After that came Becket - nice-looking p&s print but I lasted little more than 30 minutes. Thought it was rubbish in 1964 and see no reason to change my mind now. That wordy, heady play needs an almost minimalist, stark approach, like a Bergman movie, not the Hollywood epic treatment. Awful!
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 09:31   #44
Alan George
Trusted User

Ditto.
This was the first of the docs I've seen & it was terrible, with that sneering & trying to be funny commentary. Did they ever mention the Gainsborough films? I gave up half way through. A documentary about films made by people who know nothing about films & don't care.
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 12:03   #45
Guest 57708
Trusted User

According to a thread on Roobarb's Message Board, which incidentally now seems to require registration to read, this Summer of British film had originally been planned as a BBC4 event. It was shifted to BBC2 and the budget available for the documentaries was either slashed or grossly overstretched with the horrible results seen. The ropey footage used in the docs. is taken in many cases from trailers!

In a Guardian piece, Alex Cox went to town on what he saw as the political outlook of the documentaries. That almost seems to dignify them - can there be an ideology of ignorance? The choice of films, likewise, seems dictated by availability rather than any calculated exclusions and some of the alternatives he suggests are easily available on DVD.

Still, there are some good things getting an airing and an old print from the BBC archive is better than nothing where nothing is the alternative.

Guest 57708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 12:55   #46
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

I thought it was rather good because there were some films I hadn't seen, so it worked for me. I really dislike the quirky commentary, it's a disease which inflicts these types of shows in recent times.

I wanted to watch Beckett but it wasn't in scope!
Old 20-08-2007, 13:05   #47
Summerisle
Trusted User

Pretty damn awful, considering the numerous series that we have had over the years documenting the history of the American film industry. Poor old Ronald Neame would love to hear more and all he gets is a ruddy ten-second soundbite. Here's the listing for the Horror segment
Quote:
The fifth installment of this seven-part series, looking at great British horror films, including Brazil and An American Werewolf In London.
Summerisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 16:46   #48
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
Ditto.
This was the first of the docs I've seen & it was terrible, with that sneering & trying to be funny commentary. Did they ever mention the Gainsborough films? I gave up half way through. A documentary about films made by people who know nothing about films & don't care.
Gainsborough was sort-of covered the week before, when the theme was "love stories"
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 16:49   #49
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panavision View Post
I thought it was rather good because there were some films I hadn't seen, so it worked for me. I really dislike the quirky commentary, it's a disease which inflicts these types of shows in recent times.

I wanted to watch Beckett but it wasn't in scope!
I didn't bother for that reason - I'll either buy or rent the DVD since there is one available.

With a film like The Virgin and the Gypsy, which isn't available on DVD, it's a different matter. I've only watched the start (to make sure it recorded okay) and that appears to be in Scope as well, something which escapes every reference source I've looked at. Unfortunately, as you might have guessed, it switches to 16:9 after the opening credits.
Old 21-08-2007, 11:05   #50
Guest 1318
DJ Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gZa View Post
Another cock up at the cinema last night!
This time they couldn't get it to work at all! Same problem as last week (no picture only sound). Wouldn't have minded so much but they delayed the screening 30 minutes, apparently to fix it and then upon letting everyone in the proceeded to run it sans picture for 3 minutes until I went to grab someone. Then the usual apologies, refund and complimentery ticket...but still a pain in the arse! What's the deal with these new digital projectors surely they'd be idiot proof?!
I think there is a fairly widespread problem with the servers, I heard that a lot of the ones (QuVIS?) that have been installed in the last year under the Digital Screen Network scheme are already being replaced. Frequent upgrades would seem to be an issue with digital presentation, unlike 35mm - some of the 35mm projectors at my local Odeon (Southend) are over 40 years old and still going strong.
Guest 1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 08:51   #51
gZa
Trusted User

Well I watched Henry V last night with out any cock-ups the sounds seemed a bit out of sync tho'
Old 26-08-2007, 10:32   #52
Alan George
Trusted User

Much better BBC doc. (horror) this Saturday. The talking heads had more than just sound bites, good clips & behind the scenes shots (but some of the clips looked a bit grim, funny when there are good looking DVDs available).
Interesting to see a couple of shots of Paramounts 1932 "The Island Of Lost Souls", is this a lost film ?
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 18:39   #53
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
Interesting to see a couple of shots of Paramounts 1932 "The Island Of Lost Souls", is this a lost film ?
No, it's been released on VHS in the UK, which I saw. The picture quality of that tape wasn't great though. Interesting film in many ways, particualrly as the kind of horror film that helped to bring about the Production Code a couple of years later.

I don't know of a DVD release anywhere though.
Old 26-08-2007, 19:40   #54
Robin Davies
Trusted User

Also good to see the NIGHT OF THE DEMON trailer featuring a shot of the demon which wasn't included in the film (or on the R1 DVD).
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 23:05   #55
Guest 2922
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens View Post
No, it's been released on VHS in the UK, which I saw. The picture quality of that tape wasn't great though.
I used to own that release but sold it when...

Quote:
I don't know of a DVD release anywhere though.
...I bought the DVD which came from the same company as the VHS (Visionary Communications Ltd., IIRC). The film is on a double bill disc with the Michael Curtiz version of 'Mystery of the Wax Museum'.

The pic quality isn't much improved over the VHS to be honest, but I'm glad I picked it up as it's long OOP and pretty hard to find now. Come to think of it, I only ever remember seeing it available at Play.com though I don't think it was an exclusive.

A very good film, it deserves a proper restoration and re-release.
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 13:21   #56
Guest 6028
Trusted User

I watched The Wicker Man last night at the light house in wolverhampton. I've never seen The Wicker Man look as good as that (I've only ever seen it on DVD). It looked clean, sharp, like a brand new print. Have they restored it? If so I hope they turn it into a HD-DVD or Bluray based on it.

Only problem was that it wasn't the extended cut of The Wicker Man, it was the shorter cut.
Guest 6028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:09   #57
gZa
Trusted User

Since watched the Wicker Man and Dam Busters both looked absolutely stunning however they're definately sound sync problems occuring regardless of what cinema I go to.