Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 28-06-2014, 18:13   #1
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

The Leftovers - New Damon Lindelof / HBO Sci-fi

This has really caught my interest and I can't wait to give it a go. The plot seems to be an amalgamation of a few cancelled shows from the last decade or so, but it's HBO so likely to be well worth a watch.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06...s-pilot-review

Last edited by rustybin; 28-06-2014 at 18:15.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 18:38   #2
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

The Leftovers - New Damon Lindelof / HBO Sci-fi

Sound good!!
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 22:23   #3
Richie
Trusted User

I read the book recently and the changes they've made for the show seem to be good choices (e.g. having Kevin be Chief of Police instead of Mayor and increasing the role of the reverend from bit player to major character). I'm certainly intrigued and really looking forward to this. There's plenty of scope for some really good, emotional character work (like 'Lost') but no-one should start watching expecting "big answers" to questions like "why did all those people just disappear?" because I'm pretty sure they won't get them as frankly it's irrelevant.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 22:43   #4
DM
Self Abuser

Oh goody, I do hope that this thread turns out like the game of thrones one. Book readers being ************ to those that aren't.
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 03:45   #5
Richie
Trusted User

I haven't said ANYTHING about anything that happens nor would I. I expect the book is only being treated as a jumping off point anyway.
Old 30-06-2014, 17:47   #6
Blokie
Don't Ask...

Really enjoyed the first episode - lots of intrigue and plot threads started. 71 minutes long too!

My Credit Card Bill
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 19:49   #7
Marts62
Boo!

Yes, it was much better than I expected. Impossible thing happens... how would you react?
Key line: Am I awake?
Funniest bit: Gary Busey

I'm interested enough to watch more, but I'm not sticking it out for 6 seasons to end up disappointed... which is what we automatically fear with whatsisface on the writing team.
Marts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48   #8
FlangeMonkey
WHERE'S MY JEEELLLLY?

Probably worth pointing out for US TV fans that Friday Night Lights creator/showrunner Peter Berg is executive producing this and directing some eps (he had a small cameo in the pilot ep too) - so a pretty heavyweight production team.

I enjoyed the first ep. (despite being confused for a large portion!) - plenty of mystery/intrigue, some nice acting and a few good music queues. Definitely will stick with it to see how it pans out...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52   #9
mamboboy
Legend

Re: The Leftovers - New Damon Lindelof / HBO Sci-fi

Really enjoyed this. Hoping it's going to be more of a Six Feet Under rather than a Lost!

I see lots of disappointed Americans on the imdb forums - no doubt they wanted aliens and firefights, so were left severely frustrated!
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 13:30   #10

I wasn't exactly blown away by it but I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it goes anywhere interesting
Old 01-07-2014, 23:17   #11
Alastair
Trusted User

Is it the same as The 4400?
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:05   #12
Richie
Trusted User

Nothing like it, Alastair. It's existential drama. I don't think it can be called sci-fi really apart from "the sudden departure" that starts it all.

I thought the first episode was superb. The atmosphere and the mounting anger and tension in Mapleton just waiting for any excuse to boil over. The Guilty Remnant really make my blood boil, crackpot ********!

We'll never forget you, Gary Busey!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:56   #13
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Found it incredibly dull myself. Looked at the clock after what felt like an hour & it'd only been going for 25 minutes.

One vaguely likeable character (the lead cop). No explanations for anything - the whole disappearance/ascendence thing was only really discussed on barely audible tv & radio reports, the people in white who smoke, don't speak & stalk random strangers - WTF? The random trashing of the cop's kitchen, the smug cult leader (does that actor have any other mode of acting other than 'smug'?) & the congressman (who seemed to base his look & performance on John Milius). Liv Tyler's actions at the end - again, WTF?

& until the bar scene an hour in, I was sure the main woman in white was the one who lost her kid at the beginning!

Absolutely nothing in the pilot made me want to watch any more episodes.

The Gary Busey thing did make me chuckle though.
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:59   #14
Richie
Trusted User

I do have a horrible feeling that this will be another 'John From Cincinnati' (a show I absolutely adored when I binge watched it on dvd) and be an HBO show that fails to connect with a weekly audience? I hope I'm wrong though.

aprout, I don't want to do the whole "as a book reader" thing because it's ******* annoying but all I will say is that I totally get everything you're saying about your reactions to the episode. I do wonder how I would have reacted if I hadn't already got a frame of reference? I think I would be intrigued and infuriated in equal measure.
(I'm easily pleased though because Justin Theroux is so damn shagable! #shallowbitch)
Old 03-07-2014, 10:53   #15
Marts62
Boo!

I'm going to be patient, for a while, and hope certain explanations are forthcoming.
Marts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 14:37   #16
Alastair
Trusted User

I enjoyed it, waiting for book readers to come in here and spoil it
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 15:38   #17
mamboboy
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Found it incredibly dull myself. Looked at the clock after what felt like an hour & it'd only been going for 25 minutes.

One vaguely likeable character (the lead cop). No explanations for anything - the whole disappearance/ascendence thing was only really discussed on barely audible tv & radio reports, the people in white who smoke, don't speak & stalk random strangers - WTF? The random trashing of the cop's kitchen, the smug cult leader (does that actor have any other mode of acting other than 'smug'?) & the congressman (who seemed to base his look & performance on John Milius). Liv Tyler's actions at the end - again, WTF?

& until the bar scene an hour in, I was sure the main woman in white was the one who lost her kid at the beginning!

Absolutely nothing in the pilot made me want to watch any more episodes.

The Gary Busey thing did make me chuckle though.
But it's a TV series? Is it really a big surprise they've left it all mysterious and not revealed everything in EP1?

It's only 2% of the worlds population that disappeared (much less than WW2), so although it hugely affected a lot of people, on the whole, a huge majority weren't... and the TV report is 3 years after it happened so by now most people have just moved on.

And the way I see it, the people who smoke and don't talk are obviously trying to provoke others into killing them, as I guess they believe (or know?) that it gives them some sort of transcendence. Liv Tyler clearly had some sort of calling to be with them, but kept holding it off.

I think viewers need to watch it and disregard any sci-fi/post apocalyptic expectations they had prior. I'm looking at it more like Six Feet Under, where it's mostly, as Richie said, an existential drama... with small supernatural elements thrown in, that you just need to accept... even if it doesn't make sense in the real world.

As I said in my first response, I really enjoyed it personally - slowness isn't a problem to me if it the show has a lot of depth (hence why Rectify is another of favourites).

Also there's no irritating children cast (or at least at this point any ways), which is a good sign it's not going to turn into melodramatic garbage.

Although if it does start to turn all preachy and religious then I may well change my opinion!

Last edited by mamboboy; 03-07-2014 at 15:49.
mamboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 18:42   #18
gravesend46
Celtic Tiger

Thumbs up for me. I enjoyed the mystery of the smoking cult - don't need it all answered in episode 1, keep up the guesswork for a bit.

Reminded me of the French drama The Returned in parts. Low-key in a lot of areas, Mogwai-style soundtrack in places and melancholy piano in others. I'm in for the duration!
gravesend46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 22:22   #19
basegreen
neergesab

Some awesome music in this.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 22:55   #20
dvdphile
Early Adopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
Some awesome music in this.
I agree! Lets hope there's a soundtrack at some point?

Not sure what I thought of it though? A bit lynchesque at times which is fine as I loved Twin Peaks. A lot of questions to be answered though. Seemed a bit seedy in places but it is HBO. Not sure yet if I'll stick with it.
dvdphile is offline   Reply With Quote