Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 14:35   #1
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Judge Dredd

A bloke at work likes comics and has never read any Judge Dredd, said I'd bring him in some of the best stuff. He's had some grounding, he's seen the film and played a PS3 game with vampires or something (I only know Dredd vs Death, son't know if its that). Anyway got me thinking what would the collection of the best of Dredd look like? The one in the works was rather dissappointing being full of extracts - and thats the reason why it would have to be shorter stories not the Apocalypse War or Judge Child saga.

What I'm planning on lending him is America - told him that is generally considered the best Dredd story and Classic Judge Dredd issues 1-13 (from 1995-1996, progs 424-514), and Song of the Surfer. Now I don't know all the stories in these progs, but looking at the covers there's quite a few highlights so would like to think this little bundle would make a good introduction, so this is my best of Dredd according to whats in them:

America
Midnight Surfer
Smart Sweets - an Otto Sump story
Magnificent Obsession -this any good? Its a fattie story. Really would want the story about the freak contest featuring Citizen Snork, whats that called and what prog numbers?
Love Story
Ugly Mug Ball - also good to have an uglies story
Day at the block wars - don't remember this, but a block war story should feature.
Merry tale of the christmas angel - again dont remember it but its a mean machine story
Letter from a democrat
Walter the Wobot
It pays to be mental - good title, sounds interesting
The art of Kenny Who?
Max Normal
The Taxidermist
Song of the Surfer

Thats seems a pretty good start to me. Other memorable stories for me are the stookies (woudl that be the stookie glanders i take it), in one of the Dredd megazine specials there was a funny one of dredd vs santa claus, also there was a great Mr Benn parody as well. Add a couple of Daily Star strips and you'd have a pretty good best of in my book.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 15:56   #2
barrynorton
The Falklands are British

What? No block mania or apocalypse war?
barrynorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 16:06   #3
cliff homewood
Trusted User

just been researching, a poll was done on googlegroups and apocalypse wars won, which as I said is too long a story for a best of anthology, and I think a mistake of the current 'best of', having extracts makes it feel like marketing to get people to buy and read the rest.

ALso found well remembered stories are punks rule, sob story, bury my knee at wounded heart, finger of obsession, Citizen Snork, umpty candy and Judge Death lives (As well as the taxidermist and midnight surfer getting votes from my list above).

Block mania is a good call, sounds like it might be the best block war one, prob is my memory, I cant honestly remember most of these stories, whats the one where you find out that sugar is banned (umpty candy?) and someone gets arrested and put away for simple pleasures we take for granted like sugar, books and lps.
Old 07-01-2012, 16:38   #4
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

How about the Cursed earth/Judge child saga. Lots of nice Brian Bolland artwork too.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 17:36   #5
anephric
Kidney Thief

I ain't no punk no more.
Old 07-01-2012, 17:56   #6
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Given what's out there at the moment, I would recommend:

First some grounding...
  • Judge Dredd Case Files 2 - including Cursed Earth and The Day the Law Died. It's the perfect entry point into Dredd's world.
  • Case files 5 - containing Judge Death Lives, Block Mania and the Apocalypse War. All unmissable.

And then I'd try some of the modern stuff
  • America (I think you need to understand a little of Dredd's world first to get the most out of it)
  • The Pit - which gives a good idea of the current character of Dredd
  • Total War (which, links into America)
  • Dredd vs Aliens - simply because it's one of the best crossovers I've ever read
  • Complete PJ Maybe (as he's such a big character at the mo)
  • Origins
  • And then get bang up to date with the two Tour of Duty Books.
Old 07-01-2012, 18:48   #7
alphatyrant
xbox tag- alphatyrant

I started buying the Case Files and they've been very good, though the newer ones that are in colour have been a bit disappointing. Apocalypse War, Judge Child Saga, City of the Damned, Necropolis (epic), anything with Judge Death or PJ Maybe are recommended.
alphatyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 19:11   #8
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

I really must get back to buying some more of the Case Files. This thread is reminding me how much classic Dredd there is to go back and read.

Kind of been turned off Dredd (and 2000AD) a bit when I had a 14-month pile of unread 2000ADs which was an albatross on my back that I never got round to reading and eventually cancelled my sub.

I agree with the recommendation for Dredd vs Aliens from the modern stuff. That was way, way better than I was expecting it to be.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 00:30   #9
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Dredd vs ALiens interesting, might have to check it out then. Just finished Origins. Also wondered whether his enjoyment of America maybe somewhat lacking as he's only seen the movie.
Old 16-01-2012, 11:15   #10
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco It is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
Dredd vs ALiens interesting, might have to check it out then. Just finished Origins. Also wondered whether his enjoyment of America maybe somewhat lacking as he's only seen the movie.
I liked Dredd Vs Aliens it was a fun but not as good as the Judge Death stories.
Old 16-01-2012, 13:48   #11
simong
I'm taking it back!

Never been massively into Dredd but I enjoyed the Batman/Dredd crossovers. There were four in all I think. The first one sticks in the mind, as it had some cracking Simon Bisley art.
Not sure how easy they are to come by these days.
Old 17-01-2012, 13:29   #12
Guest 79558
Trusted User

I'm a big Dredd nut, but haven't read any new stuff for a while. I'd rate best Dredd as:

Any Judge Death Stories
Cursed Earth
Block Mania/Apocalypse War
Judge Child Saga
The Day the Law Died
anything with Chopper (who was a graffiti artist, then a surfer)
City of the Damned
The 'Democracy' stories

I never liked the Dredd/Aliens or Dredd/Predator, but I like the Dredd/Batman cases, they're cracking.

Of these, I'd say Apocalypse War is the most exciting and intense.

Last edited by OMG; 17-01-2012 at 13:33.
Guest 79558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 17:01   #13
cliff homewood
Trusted User

My collection I lent him has two chopper stories, Midnight Surfer and Song of the surfer. The lad was meant to be off sick last week so I bought the judge dredd collection in for him - a compendium of all the daily star strips which are good, he was in so took them, this week I bought my proper collection as outlined in the first post. HE hadnt read any of the collection yet, although he couldn't get his uncle to stop reading them!
Old 17-01-2012, 19:48   #14
gavinhanly
Trusted User

I would caveat the Judge Death stories to - any Death story up till Necropolis, then the recent Judge Death standalone series (by Frazer Irving). You can give everything else a miss as they made Death too comic a figure. Although the first Dredd V Batman is worth a shot.