Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 07:03   #1
new
Sand Dab

Arrow [BOOK] Martha’s Vineyard Remembers Jaws

As posted by Jabbitt in the Star Wars book thread:
Martha’s Vineyard Remembers Jaws
Quote:
Documenting the impact of the film on island history has been a full-time job over the last two years for Matt Taylor, who is polishing a 300-page account of how “Jaws” was made.

The book, titled “Martha’s Vineyard Remembers Jaws,” includes about 800 never before published photographs of the production snapped by islanders, and 65 interviews with those closest to the filming. The book will also include a DVD of 8mm behind the scenes footage filmed by the Islanders.

Taylor said readers will be surprised to learn about the impact island residents had on the film’s success, pointing particularly to contributions from Susan and Lynn Murphy.
Lynn Murphy, a Vineyard marine mechanic, was hired to help run the special effects in the water.

“They were having a terrible time with it until Lynn came along and set everything straight,” said Taylor. “Lynn, and his knowledge of how to do things on the water, really saved the production.”

The photos in his book were compiled by “Jaws” fan and memorabilia collector Jim Beller who, despite technology advances that make some of the “Jaws” special effects look rudimentary 35 years later, isn’t worried the movie will lose its luster for the “Avatar” generation of fans.
I sent off an e-mail to them to ask if this was going to get a UK release and got the following reply:
Quote:
Yes the book will be available in the UK (with the DVD included) but it has been pushed back to spring 2011.

We'll let you & everyone know when you'll be able to pre-order the book.

You can also check out our Facebook page for updates...
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:45   #2
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,406 Times in 1,136 Posts
Now that sounds like a great read!
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 15:09   #3
Guest 3376
We can't bury Cheryl.

Oh yes !! Joined his facebook page a few weeks ago. He's very helpfull and quick to answer questions. Can't wait to pick this up.
Guest 3376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47   #4
new
Sand Dab

Book site has been updated with some nice stuff (and then a bit of sting in the tale!)

HOME

ABOUT
Quote:
The filming of Steven Spielberg’s 1975 megablockbuster JAWS is regarded as a landmark event in both the history of motion pictures and the quaint New England island of Martha’s Vineyard. The geographic isolation of the Island, located eight miles off the southeastern coast of Massachusetts, necessitated the hiring of hundreds of locals to work as actors and laborers and to assist with the production’s groundbreaking special effects. Among this virtual army of hometown participants were numerous professional and amateur photographers, each with full access to the production’s inner workings. Now, for the first time, their behind-the-scenes photographs and stories have been compiled into a treasure trove of JAWS rarities, a one-of-a-kind collection sure to please even the most die-hard JAWS aficionados. Included are interviews with JAWS Production Designer Joe Alves, Screenwriter Carl Gottlieb, Location Casting Director Shari Rhodes, and more—providing an unprecedented all-access pass to the creation of some of the most memorable and terrifying scenes in motion picture history.

Movie buffs, special effects enthusiasts, and fans of the watershed film will thrill in this definitive volume’s special features:

* over one-thousand never-before-seen photographs of the production’s inner workings, taken by local participants and bystanders, as well as a detailed account of how the filmmakers chose Martha’s Vineyard as their shooting location
* recollections of local crew and cast members, from Lee Fierro (Mrs. Kintner) and Chris Crawford (the real-life captain of the Orca) to Craig Kingsbury, the inspiration for Robert Shaw’s portrayal of the maniacal shark hunter Quint
* newly illustrated schematics by JAWS Production Designer Joe Alves explaining the intricacies of the revolutionary shark mechanism, as well as his original 1974 storyboards
* insight on adapting JAWS from the page to the screen from Hollywood professionals including Screenwriter Carl Gottlieb, Location Casting Director Shari Rhodes, and more

“JAWS: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard” is a must-have for the worldwide legions of JAWS fans who just can’t get enough of the greatest action-adventure picture of all time. Warning: You’re gonna need a bigger coffee table.
PREVIEW

NEWS

Quote:
Now taking pre-orders
Posted on March 5, 2011 by Memories

After several years in the making we are pleased to announce that JAWS: Memories From Martha’s Vineyard is complete and the files are with the printers! The books are scheduled to arrive mid-June at which time they will be immediately shipped out to you. Check back here for updates on printing and arrival schedules. If you have any questions regarding your order please contact Moonrise Media at contact@moonrisemedia.net

BUY

Orders will ship starting June 20, 2011.
Hardcover special-edition of “JAWS: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard $250
Quote:
JAWS: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard (Limited Collectors Edition)

* Hardcover special-edition of “JAWS: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard”
* Deluxe portfolio containing:
1″x1″ piece of the fiberglass hull of the Orca II (a.k.a., sinking Orca) used in the movie JAWS with note of authenticity from owners Lynn and Susan Murphy.
DVD containing eight millimeter behind the scenes footage of the JAWS production shot and narrated by Islander Carol Fligor.
* Hardcover and portfolio packaged in a unique special edition case.
* Limited to a series of 1000 numbered copies
* 12″ x 10.5″, 296 pages
* More than 1,000 full color and b/w images
Paperback (with NO DVD) $59.95
Quote:
* 12″ x 10.5″, 296 pages
* More than 1,000 full color and b/w images

Looks a nice book so might stump up for the paperback, but the hardback is way out of my price bracket
Wish they did a plain hardback version with out the ORCA bits, as I do like a hardback.

Last edited by new; 11-03-2011 at 10:56.
Old 13-03-2011, 01:03   #5
G-man
Colonial Marine (Sgt. )

Been waiting for this but the price puts it out of my reach. Even the paperback is stupid when you add shipping. Going to have to pass on this.
Old 25-03-2011, 19:48   #6
anephric
Kidney Thief

It's $48.50 shipping and handling! Nearly as much as the book! Sorry, too pricey for me, as much as I want it.
Old 18-07-2011, 21:23   #7
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

There is now a piece of the Orca in Birmingham, UK.

No customs - marked as book.

With the price, I was inevitably expecting to be a little disappointed. However - my God, it's incredible! What a job Matt Taylor has done with this thing.

Heavy card stock slipcase, and beautiful quality paper and printing. Great job done on the presentation.

I was expecting a big book of pictures with a bit of commentary but after reading the first chapter on the train home tonight I'm delighted to say that this is a treasure trove of anecdotes and accounts of the making of the movie - a huge amount of text along with these never before seen pictures.

Everything is laid out in chronological order and it seems like not a day went by during shooting that isn't covered here with pictures and stories.

The key difference here is that it is all told from the Islands perspective. We have all heard Spielberg's soundbites and Dreyfuss bitching about the shark before but we haven't heard the stories from the islanders before - and with just enough bits sprinkled in from Alves and Gottlieb it feels like a perfectly rounded take on the whole making of the movie from a completely new angle.

The 8mm footage is a treat and it's great seeing the Kitchner death that was never used, just a shame there is not more of it.

Utter must have if you are a Jaws fan.

Last edited by dunkrag; 18-07-2011 at 21:38.
dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 21:26   #8
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Old 18-07-2011, 21:28   #9
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Old 18-07-2011, 23:11   #10
anephric
Kidney Thief

Mine was posted the other day so I'm stoked for it to turn up. I've got the chav edition though, not the hoity-toity edition. I would've liked the DVD but not for the extra you have to pay.
Old 19-07-2011, 05:11   #11
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

I think you will be pleased. Mine took 7 days from posting to delivery.
Old 19-07-2011, 08:03   #12
hallanthony
Trusted User

I still haven't managed to persuade myself to order a copy - the postage cost just puts me off, but it looks like a wonderful book; just a shame the paperback wasn't a hardback copy without the limited stuff and I would then probably be happy to spend that on a book

Last edited by hallanthony; 19-07-2011 at 08:04.
hallanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 08:53   #13
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallanthony View Post
I still haven't managed to persuade myself to order a copy - the postage cost just puts me off, but it looks like a wonderful book; just a shame the paperback wasn't a hardback copy without the limited stuff and I would then probably be happy to spend that on a book
Same here.
Old 19-07-2011, 21:41   #14
Marv
Friday the 13th

Lovley looking book, i love those kinds of books with photos and info on everything. How long does the dvd run for?
Old 23-07-2011, 09:38   #15
anephric
Kidney Thief

I've just received the paperback version and whilst it's rilly, rilly nice, I'm wishing I'd sprung the extra for the LE. £70 for what would be a £20 RRP over here smarts a bit.
Old 23-07-2011, 11:10   #16
Richie
Trusted User

It's taking everything I have not to click 'buy' on the special edition but I'm so pathetically poor that I'll just have to make do with looking at the pics in this thread here.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 12:57   #17
bigry
Trusted User

caved in and ordered the limited edition

Last edited by bigry; 23-07-2011 at 12:57.
bigry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:13   #18
new
Sand Dab

Good news for us in the UK

Jaws: Memories from Martha's Vineyard (Paperback) £23.27 @ Book Depository
Old 10-08-2011, 07:52   #19
hallanthony
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Fantastic news - the 10% code for PayPal users is still active until the end month too so just pre-ordered for £20.94
hallanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 09:07   #20
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallanthony View Post
Fantastic news - the 10% code for PayPal users is still active until the end month too so just pre-ordered for £20.94
Is there an actual code, or is it just for using paypal?
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote