Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 28-10-2008, 18:50   #21
ian turner
Trusted User

Generally speaking if a series of films doesn't go beyond 3 its because the third one was financially disappointing to a degree that led the studios to abandon further releases. The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise already has a fourth announced, Spiderman and Batman will continue likewise and it would be more honest to talk in terms of the third of an ongoing series of films whereas trilogy should only be used where they do not intend to make a forth and stick with it.
Nolan makes the films he wants to not the films fans think they have some sort of Stan Lee given right to demand (yes I know DC published Batman but Stan is as near as comics get to god). He has no duty to them.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 19:00   #22
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Back to the Future was never intended to have any sequels. The flying car at the end was just a gag and the "To be continued..." was added to the VHS release, which was probably first available when the sequel was in production.

[edit: Not sure who I'm replying to here but thought I read someone say earlier that BTTF was a planned trilogy, although I can't find it now. ]

Last edited by ourmatetone; 28-10-2008 at 19:01.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:13   #23
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrida View Post
Here's the link again for the recent Nolan interview:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...opher-nol.html
Judging by the answers Nolan gave... I'd say he's still very interested in Batman.
Old 29-10-2008, 00:06   #24
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

He'd be offered a ridiculous salary to direct. That'll be enough to get anyone interested in directing it.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 08:54   #25
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD View Post
So In Like Flint, The Bourne Supremacy and The Living Daylights are a trilogy then? Are they all owned by the same studio – we should get a boxset going!
Check any dictionary. Like I said, let's not argue semantics because it's just silly. You can sophistically argue that those three films are a trilogy to try to imply your view is correct. Unfortunately you're right because they are a trilogy of spy films. But all of us know what is implied by the term trilogy and what everyone will take it to mean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Colors is generally referred to as a trilogy but doesn't fit your narrow view of one, for example.

Personally I'd like to see more films than just one more by Nolan but it's clear he recognises the law of diminishing returns. Also, with it taking 3 years for each film I can't really see the cast being available for any longer, unless they could somehow make two back to back.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 09:18   #26
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panavision View Post
Judging by the answers Nolan gave... I'd say he's still very interested in Batman.
Again, I wasn't as convinced. He said he's given six years of his life to Batman already...thats a long time for a talented filmmaker. Maybe if Heath was still alive it would have been more clear cut.

If they do make a third (and if it's true that a lot of the cast have contracts for 3 films, then the Studio will press on ahead regardless), then I hope that Nolan decides to direct again.

Gary A
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 10:47   #27
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

I think we're in luck in that it sounds like Goyer wants Nolan and so will pitch the story to try to get him on board in the first place.
Old 29-10-2008, 11:04   #28
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGB View Post
Check any dictionary. Like I said, let's not argue semantics because it's just silly
It is indeed. Yet not half as silly as looking at contracts for popcorn fodder to determine what was supposedly a trilogy from the start.

The only thing that matters is the storytelling. End of. As I’ve posted before, the only two ‘pure’ Hollywood trilogies I can think of are the original Star Wars films and the original ‘Jerry Goldsmith’ Omen films. Both tell one story in three very separate, distinct parts. All with an identifiable beginning, middle and an end.

*Both of these films could be argued as wildly successful one-off genre films that were lucky enough to keep their uber-villains alive at the end, and studios demanding more of the same. But even conceding that to a degree, they were awfully lucky in how part 1 was constructed. Damien isn’t actually doing anything particularly dastardly right now, provided they’ll leave him be. His battle is to be much later on. And not only does Vader survive the Death Star attack, but we already know that the big cheese doesn’t even hang there.

Quote:
But all of us know what is implied by the term trilogy and what everyone will take it to mean.
Well we don’t actually, which is what this current tangent to the discussion is all about.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Colors is generally referred to as a trilogy but doesn't fit your narrow view of one, for example.
Erm, it does just about, and was in my mind when I posted. Have you seen them? Conceived as three I believe, however tenuously (the colours of the French flag, the three French bywords, an interconnection here and there, etc). Then again, it’s principally a trilogy because the director says it is – I’ll admit that much. I’m happy to indulge him since we are at least back to the idea of storytelling and conception, rather than suits, contracts and a ‘can we squeeze another half bill out of this franchise?’ mentality.

I’d argue the merits of that particular example less than I’d argue for the initially-one-off Star Wars and Omen trilogies, not to mention the French trilogy actually called ‘Trilogy’ (which I prefer to Three Colours anyway), but that’s not the point at all.

The point is attaching the term ‘trilogy’ like it actually means something to three episodic overblown genre films. And whilst we’re likely to see endless sequels to all of these until the money dries up, this ‘respectability’ given to Part 3 in a franchise – because everyone likes the sound of the word trilogy – is totally wack. I mean you know they’re going to throw Part 4 at you if they think they can get away with it.

(As for the Spidey ‘trilogy’ – if there aint a part 4 right now it’s not due to any corporate feeling that the story has now been told but a combination of a) The actors are maybe out of contract and now don’t want to be typecast to death and demand $45 mill for the privilege, b) the last episode stank to high heaven and even the T-shirt wearing fanboys knew it was pap, c) they don’t want to overcrowd their own superhero marketplace right now and think the franchise will be best served by a break rather than run into the ground.
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 11:20   #29
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Spider man 4 is confirmed. Rami is back, as is maguire.
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:15   #30
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Okay McD, rather than take the thread off course let me reword my original statement so that you can actually comment on its intent rather than nit pick about your own personal feelings on the word 'trilogy':

I'm heartened to read Nolan's thoughts on a 3rd film and trying to make it good. The only 'good' "3rd" film I can think of is The Last Crusade and even then Temple of Doom is bad. I'd be impressed if he could give us a third great Batman film that is only connected to the other two by virtue of having the same director and principle stars (and by taking the events from the previous two films as affecting the world of the third) as I can't think of any series of three films connected by having the same director and/or producer and principle stars (and by taking the events from the previous two films as affecting the world of the third) where I don't have large reservations about at least one of those films.

I'm also not sure what villains they could really use, though.
Old 29-10-2008, 12:26   #31
Guest 12058
Trusted User

Quote:
I'm also not sure what villains they could really use, though.
Angelina Jolie as Catwoman.

Have to say I am not inspired by the idea of Carey as The Riddler which is one option I've seen mooted.
Guest 12058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:42   #32
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

I want to see The Joker back, perhaps in league with another villain.
Old 29-10-2008, 15:23   #33
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Who's suggested Carey would come back as the Riddler? He wouldn't do it as he never does sequels and I'm guessing this would count. I've heard Depp rumoured for the role.

The problem really is that TDK is very 'dark'. AndyWilson's fond of pointing out that there's a wide spectrum of styles to Batman but this one's clearly taking that approach so is The Riddler really going to suit that style of Batman? And I don't know that I think Catwoman is a particularly good choice.

It would be good to see someone playing The Joker, though as a much more minor role given they'd have to play Heath Ledger playing The Joker, which is clearly never going to be an easy job to pull off or use for a large amount of screen time. At least the make up means the facial aspect won't be as big a deal to match up.
Old 29-10-2008, 16:09   #34
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

If I was writing it I'd be tempted to feature gangs of teenage hoodlums on the rampage in Gotham - with the pointy-eared one's inability to be in more than one place at a time being his achilles heel when fighting adolescent angst...

...so he tries to win the trust of one of the nastiest, most sadistic gang members - a young orphan named Dick Grayson...

Of course, that's probably why I'm not a screenwriter
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 16:56   #35
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Well I presume there is scope for Robin. Really the only downside to his character is that he's called 'Robin', which doesn't really work for 'dark'. Still, I don't think it's inconceivable that they'd bring the character in for a third film
Old 29-10-2008, 16:59   #36
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD View Post
The only thing that matters is the storytelling. End of. As I’ve posted before, the only two ‘pure’ Hollywood trilogies I can think of are the original Star Wars films and the original ‘Jerry Goldsmith’ Omen films. Both tell one story in three very separate, distinct parts. All with an identifiable beginning, middle and an end.
You're joking about ROTJ, surely? That's the very definition of Lucas rehash - he even explained to Gary Kurtz his theory about rewarming old leftovers when he was writing it.
Old 29-10-2008, 17:05   #37
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
You're joking about ROTJ, surely? That's the very definition of Lucas rehash - he even explained to Gary Kurtz his theory about rewarming old leftovers when he was writing it.
Why? The character arcs and plotlines were all brought to a conclusion. As a story in relation to the previous parts it can't be compared to Spidey 3, Batman Forever, whatever the third Bond film was, etc, etc.

I wouldn't really take anything Kurtz says about ROTJ too seriously. I mean it's not like he'd have an axe to grind or anything.
Old 29-10-2008, 17:09   #38
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
It would be good to see someone playing The Joker, though as a much more minor role given they'd have to play Heath Ledger playing The Joker, which is clearly never going to be an easy job to pull off or use for a large amount of screen time. At least the make up means the facial aspect won't be as big a deal to match up.
I disagree about the screentime. It would be harder to pull off with less screen time. Even if not exactly making it their own, it would be hard to establish their own face/vocals onto the character long enough to avoid negative comparisons.

Given Ledger's dead it'll be hard to buy people over with a new actor. Give him 20 minutes of screentime and he has absolutely no chance.

The one actor who I think could be similar, but still his own man, and brilliant into the bargain would be Sam Rockwell.

Last edited by McD; 29-10-2008 at 17:10.
Old 29-10-2008, 17:14   #39
anephric
Kidney Thief

But they were brought to a conclusion in an extremely unsatisfying way that deviated as little as possible from the template of the first film - you might argue that this was an attempt at some kind of circular narrative: it all ends in the same way it begins, but I don't really see that at all. It's just Lucas backpeddling after his fright over Empire and fine-tuning his recycle machine (see also: Willow and the prequels) to enable the "perfect" genre movie template - one that's exceedingly familiar with a tiny bit of new content.
Old 29-10-2008, 17:27   #40
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
But they were brought to a conclusion in an extremely unsatisfying way that deviated as little as possible from the template of the first film - you might argue that this was an attempt at some kind of circular narrative: it all ends in the same way it begins, but I don't really see that at all. It's just Lucas backpeddling after his fright over Empire and fine-tuning his recycle machine (see also: Willow and the prequels) to enable the "perfect" genre movie template - one that's exceedingly familiar with a tiny bit of new content.
In summary then: you don't think the original Star Wars films qualify as a proper film trilogy because you don't like ROTJ.

OK.