Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 29-07-2007, 15:13   #21
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibouk View Post
I'm going to see Goldfinger in Bolton on Tuesday and it's only £2.50
Last time I went there, there was a punch-up between two women which was marginally more interesting than the film.

Astonishingly, my little boy (who now towers above me), says he'll accompany me to watch Mr Connery. I'm having a beggar of a time to convince him that Mr Olivier will be almost as much fun. Still. Blimey; almost as much an achievement as getting him to read a book...

"Mr Bond they have a saying in Chicago; once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it's enemy action..."

Last edited by John Hodson; 29-07-2007 at 15:14.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 17:35   #22
Guest 62397

Help

I missed part of the programme last night so could anyone tell me what the film was called where a young girl was made to shoot a bloke. I think it was produced by a david or daniel? The bbc are obviosly not repeating last nights programme.
Guest 62397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 18:29   #23
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

London to Brighton.

BTW, as highlighted in the Bargain Forum, HMV's Summer British Film Sale, that spiffy The Third Man 2-discer for £4.99, among many others...

Last edited by John Hodson; 29-07-2007 at 20:42.
Old 30-07-2007, 14:05   #24
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson View Post
The TV listings are up here
With all the nationally screened classics also being broadcast in this season, I see the Beeb has updated the link with two handy clickable links, 'Find your nearest local cinemas' and 'See all participating cinemas'.

There's a chance to get free tickets here and the season culminates in a free live big bash in Glasgow on September 9.

Last edited by John Hodson; 30-07-2007 at 15:25.
Old 30-07-2007, 19:35   #25
Guest 27807
It's a funny old world

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson View Post
Last time I went there, there was a punch-up between two women which was marginally more interesting than the film.
[/I]
If there are any fighting women tomorrow night, I'll point them in your direction John.
Guest 27807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 13:43   #26
bonsaiguy
Dirty rotten scoundrel

Quote:
I'm going to see Goldfinger in Bolton on Tuesday and it's only £2.50
I'm off to Goldfinger in Sheffield tonight. I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 31-07-2007, 21:54   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

That was just incredible; my first digital screening of a classic film on the big, big screen and Goldfinger was simply drop. Dead. Gorgeous.

If the rest come anywhere near this - and Henry V in particular looks as if it may - then run, don't walk, to your nearest screening.

No. 1 son was so impressed that he actually wants to go to more; black and white, daft old 'square' films, Shakespeare, the lot. Now, that, my fellow forumites, speaks volumes...

What did anyone else think?

Last edited by John Hodson; 31-07-2007 at 21:56.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:15   #28
Guest 60307
Team Zissou

Saw Goldfinger in the Everyman in Hampstead. Great little cinema and a great film to watch. Great print and great sound, I can see myself there for the rest of the season. The Dam Busters is going to llok very good indeed
Guest 60307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:09   #29
Guest 27807
It's a funny old world

Have to agree John. The print looked fantastic, even though there was that weird blue 'border' that appeared for a couple of minutes. I was just about to go and say something when it disappeared.

Looking forward to seeing some more of these films. I thought there was a very good turn out too, which was encouraging.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58   #30
Guest 47677
Trusted User

Indeed - fabulous picture. But - at my screening the sound was very slightly out of sync for the first 30 mins and then very noticeably out of sync for the last 30 mins. Did this happen at anyone else's screening? It was very annoying & I'm not quite sure how it can happen with digital...
Guest 47677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44   #31
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Have to agree John. The print looked fantastic, even though there was that weird blue 'border' that appeared for a couple of minutes. I was just about to go and say something when it disappeared.
Never experienced mass-hysteria, but the sense of mass irritation was palpable wasn't it? It was less than a minute I'm sure, but it did feel longer. Didn't spoil it though; my best cinema experience in a long time, and it helped that the audience weren't chatting, texting, and were genuiely appreciative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieslowski View Post
Indeed - fabulous picture. But - at my screening the sound was very slightly out of sync for the first 30 mins and then very noticeably out of sync for the last 30 mins. Did this happen at anyone else's screening? It was very annoying & I'm not quite sure how it can happen with digital...
Nothing of that sort at Bolton. Maybe they were using one of the those cheapo Asda DVD players
Old 01-08-2007, 13:17   #32
bonsaiguy
Dirty rotten scoundrel

The quality of the 'print' was incredible, some of the shots looked like they could have been filmed yesterday (e.g. the long helicopter shot above the Miami hotel), so clear and oh so pretty.

It was nice to see that this hadn't appealed to the chavs which made for a nice change.

All sound and picture was fine in Sheffield (no obvious blue borders seen at all).

Roll on the other movies.
Old 01-08-2007, 15:07   #33
Guest 52808
Trusted User

I can but add my own praise to everyone else's. The quality of the digital 'print' was staggeringly good - pin sharp, richly detailed, fully saturated and beautifully clean.

Like many of us here, this was my first experience of a digital screening and I must admit that it equalled, if not surpassed my expectations. This was no doubt helped by the fact that the source used was the restored HD master from which the UE DVD was struck last year. It remains to be seen whether the other films in the season (which may not have undergone such painstaking and in some cases controversial restoration as the Bond films) will look quite as breathtaking, but we can hope.
Guest 52808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 18:14   #34
Guest 1318
DJ Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITLEADER View Post
Like many of us here, this was my first experience of a digital screening and I must admit that it equalled, if not surpassed my expectations.
Agreed, it was also my first digital screening, great quality at Cineworld Freeport (Essex) & well attended. Don't think there was a projectionist there at the end though, as when the movie finished the lights didn't come up & the projector was still projecting 'black' so everyone stumbled out in the dark. Good fun though to see this on a big screen with an audience.
Guest 1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00   #35
Guest 27807
It's a funny old world

Brilliant! Last week I missed the end of British Film Forever due to BBC2 running 5 minutes late. So this week I set my Sky+ box to over run by 5 minutes and guess what? This week BBC2 were running 8 minutes late, so I'v missed the end of this one too.

To be honest, from the bits I've seen I haven't been that impressed by the documentaries, so I might as well give up on them.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44   #36
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
To be honest, from the bits I've seen I haven't been that impressed by the documentaries, so I might as well give up on them.
You're right, Mr Chibouk, the two docos so far have been pretty undistinguished, though I must say the 90 minutes fly by. Last Saturday's was better in my view than the first one, and I especially appreciated the presence of the two top screenwriters of the 60s - Pinter and Raphael, quite a coup. The technical quality of the clips leaves much to be desired.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 13:05   #37
gZa
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
Agreed, it was also my first digital screening, great quality at Cineworld Freeport (Essex) & well attended. Don't think there was a projectionist there at the end though, as when the movie finished the lights didn't come up & the projector was still projecting 'black' so everyone stumbled out in the dark. Good fun though to see this on a big screen with an audience.
Similar thing happened to me last night for Brief Encounter... The bloody lights came up 50 seconds before the end, the picture went black, but the sound kept running! Cue bemusement aplenty. Thankfully I'd seen the film before as had my friends else we'd have killed a Vue staff member! Alas couldn't even ask for my money back as we used free tickets.

Thankfully it doesn't have a Citizen Kane ending, as that would have totally destroyed the film!

Last edited by gZa; 08-08-2007 at 13:06.
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 17:25   #38
Guest 155
Trusted User

First off, The Pumpkin Eater is on BBC2 tonight. Well worth seeing - and it's a film that for some reason has never been on video or DVD, at least in the UK.

Secondly, does anyone know if the BBC has been showing Scope films in the season in full 2.35:1 or just 16:9? The reason I ask is that The Leather Boys is on tomorrow night and I'm wondering if it's worth recording it. I've not seen the film before, and by all accounts the current DVD is pretty awful.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 20:27   #39
gZa
Trusted User

Doubt it'll be 2.35:1 The Ipcress Files t'other week certainly wasn't. However it should fair a lot better than the last two times FIVE have screened it in P&S.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:40   #40
gZa
Trusted User

..was cropped to 16:9, it looked nice tho'