Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 25-09-2006, 10:56   #81
Guest 5611
Trusted User

i also liked how much of a shambles the main guy looked and that they smoked dope without any negative inference - its just what they happened to be doing.
Guest 5611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 11:11   #82
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Have people noticed we've got this waaaay before the US. I just read its been delayed to the end of the year over there to generate "oscar buzz".

Saw it on friday and thought it was very good, certainly a film that will benefit from a 2nd viewing. Like others have said great acting by the leads and excellent direction. Some of the smaller characters acting was a little poor/odd at times I thought, just the delivery of certain lines seemed very "acted". Oddly this included the girl (Kayee) at a couple of points, who I randomly found out on saturday after watching Shooting Dogs that she was the main Rwandian school child in that who escapes, and her acting in that was superb throughout.

Looking forward to the DVD of this, a DTS track would be brillant...
JimDriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 16:27   #83
RomerojpgX
Dead

Hey the long takes were indeed many takes cut together with CGI, sorry to shatter your illusions but while you could spot a few swipes (like the blood disapeariong off the camera lens) most were seamless and yes the fact it stayed with the charecters for so long was uncomfortable and very effetive in drawing you closer to the people in the think of it.

The Car battery bit was rather good
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 17:26   #84
McPastry
Trusted User

Does anyone know what the music at the start of the trailer for this is? Not the Sigur Ros track, the first one. It's driving my girlfriend (and therefore me) nuts!
McPastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 19:00   #85
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,213 Times in 858 Posts
Just got back from this, excellent film!

R
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 21:59   #86
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Echoleader, also been wondering about whether there is an animal subtext, we've become animals perhaps? Been waiting for a reader of the book to explain whether there were so many unusual animals about was becuase of the zoos being broke open or something the film jsutr did tgo make the future feel more 'alien' and then there's the question were the production crew just pink floyd fans, was it just because his cousin is an artist, or as you said, is there some subtext there to do with animals. Note that although humans are infertile, and this is never explained, animals are obviously not as they are still around.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 00:08   #87
Guest 3758
Gibbon Lookalike

Loved this, most unexpectedly good film I've seen in ages........ UK's No1 as well !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5382384.stm

Last edited by Philipio; 27-09-2006 at 00:09.
Guest 3758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 01:19   #88
RomerojpgX
Dead

Only $148 million to go and its made its budget back not a chance.
Old 27-09-2006, 10:40   #89
rh67
Gamertag: Rustmonster1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomerojpgX
I wouldn't be too sure about that. It won't open int he states until Christmas so the studio obviously expect it to fair well, so at least an $80-100 million US gross would mean the film needs to make $50 million worldwide to break even then once they're into DVD sales its mostly profit.
rh67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 11:36   #90
Barney_Tabasco
'My Two Dads' changed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomerojpgX
That's a decent enough opening for a film like this. It's US box office that counts.
Barney_Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 14:36   #91
Guest 34288
Trusted User

Saw this on a whim and was very very impressed - I've been raving about it all week to everyone in work: Best film I've watched in the cinema for ages!

Last edited by neur0mancer; 27-09-2006 at 14:37.
Guest 34288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 15:06   #92
welshmatt
Rusted User

Just got back from seeing this and was also very impressed, I was the only one at the screening so had a pleasant cinematic experience for a change!

I honestly cant remember 'noticing' any cgi, and thought the immigration camp scenes were amazing.

The only downside is how convenient some things were.

Anyone recommend reading the book?

Last edited by welshmatt; 27-09-2006 at 15:11.
welshmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 15:12   #93
JamesK
James-K

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshmatt
in response to welshmatt
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 15:49   #94
Guest 14031
Student layabout

Saw this last wednesday at Wimbledon, thought it was very very good, didn't realise how UK centralised it was.
I thought the political statements made were a bit too blatant and could have been done in a more subtle manner, but that didn't detract too much from the edge of your seat action and gripping ride through the film.
I thought the car battery moment was hilarious too as the whole audience shreiked
I've been recommending it to people as it's a very good film and I think it's a rarity these days, especially as the CGI was very believable and seamless in it's use. I would go see it again without any hesitation and I never go to see films at the cinema more than once.
Guest 14031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 22:49   #95
RomerojpgX
Dead

In regards to box office, I really am at a miss to how it will perform in the US of A, ussualy I can predict quite close, but I honestly have no idea at this one ta all maybe its too british, or maybe I just think its maybe too good and the actual trailer is not very good. I like the bus posters mind you

I wasnt even going to see this film, I was going to see DOA Dead Or Alive, but a friend backed out and we had to see this. Not sure if thats a good thing or not.

For once I want to see a documentary seeing how and what was done in CGI as they did it well, only a few things were obviously CGI, not that they were bad mind you, just because its not possible in our reality without some help.

Last edited by RomerojpgX; 27-09-2006 at 22:50.
Old 27-09-2006, 23:18   #96
Barney_Tabasco
'My Two Dads' changed me

What a great film. Had a very 70's feel to it, especially when it began but definitely the very end (when the final title came up).

A masterclass in filmmaking. The direction is sublime at times. Good acting all round. At last Clive Owens mumbling and laid back approach makes absolute sense. Caine is superb - that can only be said very rarely these days. He actually seemed to be enjoying himself too which makes a change.

Regarding animals, i did think the reason people had so many pets was because of the lack of children. Paternal instincts and all that. Pretty much as it is these days but exagerated.

As for Pink Floyd - flying pig + battersea - hmmmm.

One of my films of the year but recently some real surprises have come out of nowhere - this, The Queen and Little Miss Sunshine. Top stuff
Barney_Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 10:53   #97
welshmatt
Rusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_Tabasco
Regarding animals, i did think the reason people had so many pets was because of the lack of children. Paternal instincts and all that. Pretty much as it is these days but exagerated.
Could well be right on that one, I was reading up on the book last night and the overview on wikipedia mentioned how the lack of children meant women were wheeling around empty prams and dressing up cats in baby clothes.
welshmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 20:01   #98
Guest 11319
Trusted User

Saw this again tonight. With lower expectations of the story I enjoyed it a lot more. It did drag quite drastically during the 2nd act, there was a fair bit of fidgeting in the auditorium. Might be easier going on DVD. As commented, not a lot of tension, but whilst there were dull streaches there were a lot of little lump in the throat emotional moments.

My mum summed it up as: disappointing story, didn't care whether humanity was going to die out or note, beautifully made and superbly acted, notably Pam Ferris and Michael Cainen.

I was really struck at how beautiful the naturalistic lighting was (Julian and THeo on the bus, the school at sunrise, etc), and just quite how long some of the takes were. Notably the whole scene leading to the
, which goes on FOREVER. Was that cgi? Absolutely amazing. I also loved how they got so many extras to convincingly act in the last battle.

Also, the blood may disappear off the camera, but it evaporates drop by drop. See, they thought of everything!

The entire cinema shrieked at the car battery scene. Class

Last edited by Kit_Taylor; 30-09-2006 at 20:07.
Guest 11319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 20:10   #99
Guest 11319
Trusted User

And I thought saying **** got you an automatic 18? There's at least 3 of the buggers in the Jarvis Cocker song over the end credits, coming right out of the blue!

Last edited by Kit_Taylor; 30-09-2006 at 20:11.
Guest 11319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:17   #100
Brozyniak
Marble Mad

I saw this last night and enjoyed it (except for the eight ladettes that got chucked out half way through for talking on their mobiles and throwing popcorn around . I mean why bother going to the cinema if you're not going to watch the film?)

I'm a bit shocked at the budget behind this film as I thought a low budget affair although pulled together very well and convincingly.

I'm surprised at all the positives on the camera work as it gave me a bit of headache and I had to look away from the screen a few times. I really hate that shakey stuff.

I think that the film got better as it went along and certainly kept me gripped.

Didn't anyone think it a bit odd (and convenient for tension) that

I'll echo an earlier comment I think that there must be some meaning behind all the animals liking Owen, I just can't work it out. Maybe it shows that he had by nature a trusting 'feel' about him which is why

I went home and had to play King Crimson!

Last edited by Brozyniak; 01-10-2006 at 09:20.
Brozyniak is offline   Reply With Quote