Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 30-08-2005, 22:21   #1
Guest 19580
Trusted User

Battle Of Britain & A Bridge To Far. R1 S/e

Hi peeps,just thought id make some comments about the up and coming
r1 s/e versions of these two brilliant films.My first thoughts are i wonder if these editions will be less compressed than the r2 versions of which i own both.Iv also owned the previous bare bones r1 bob and both r1 & r2 abtf
bare bones editions. According to some sites the new r1 s/e of both these films will have an all new digital transfer struck from a high def prints hmm
to me that sounds rather unlikely.An example for instant is the great escape of which i own the r1 & r2 s/e and i can most deffo say that the prints on those are vertually identicle as in regards to the actual picture quality.when i first got a copy of the r2 bob s/e i did a comparison with the bare bones r1
and to my eyes there were some differences between the two. The r1 colour was more vibrant if anything a little over the top and not totaly natural but there did seem to be alot less compression ie, less grain and slightly more deffenition.Now obviously the r2 has 2 dd 5.1 tracks,2 dts 5.1 tracks and a commentry track plus a lot more subtitle opstions which are taking up more disc space so that would effect the compression slightly i would have thought.From what i have read the r1 isnt gonna have dts so that might mean there will be only 2 dd 5.1 tracks and a commentry track so will this have any effect on the pic quality hmm im looking forward to finding out.All in all the r2 s/e is a fine package but the the pic quality is not in my humble oppinion as good as it could be, in most scenes its very good in others its excellent but will the r1 top it i hope so. As for abtf well i if they can improve on the r2 then boy that would be some thing because the r2 is infact rather a poor sourced print, with a very nasty blemish on one of the frames early on in the film when the cam pans across the grassy front to the british hq.The contrast to the film isnt that good either along with quite a soft focus to the overal pic quality.With any luck we might get a better deal than we aready have with our r2s, but to be honest i dont hold out that much optimisim but still you never know your luck ehh.All comments and imput will be greatly appreciated thanx guys. ps I forgot to mension maybe the r1s will also do away with the horrid r2 player generated subs for the german speeking parts on both these films. If my memory serves me right im sure the r1 bare bones bob has the original burnt in subs.

Last edited by kpnuts/uk; 31-08-2005 at 16:17.
Guest 19580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 10:00   #2
Guest 14055
Trusted User

The original bare bone BOB did NOT have the subs burned in.
They were player generated.

Cheers
Maggi
Guest 14055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2005, 16:14   #3
Guest 19580
Trusted User

Cheers for that correction Maggi, i wasnt 100% sure as i dont own that edition anymore.

Last edited by kpnuts/uk; 31-08-2005 at 16:15.
Old 13-09-2005, 18:26   #4
Guest 19580
Trusted User

I have found out a little more info on the new r1 bob s/e.Iv now seen what is most certainly the back cover art and it clearly shows that there is deffo no dts tracks on this version.But it also says that it IS mastered in high definition,Well im now rather intrigued. Does this mean that the pic quality will be better than the r2 version and will they use the correct print stating the correct quote by winston churchill as did not the original r1 version
Old 27-09-2005, 15:53   #5
Guest 19580
Trusted User

Anybody fancy comenting then !

Last edited by kpnuts/uk; 27-09-2005 at 15:53.