Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 13-06-2007, 19:25   #61
Guest 41777
Trusted User

I see no one has mentioned The Twelve Kingdoms yet (Juuni Kokuki)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Kingdoms

It's an amazing series. Definitely a must watch!
Guest 41777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 14:05   #62
Guest 26333
Trusted User

I second The 12 Kingdoms too. Currently watching it now and it's very unpredictable.
Guest 26333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 15:16   #63
Guest 20085
Trusted User

Yeah i was a huge anime fan but i've fallen off the band wagon coz i prefered reading the manga versions of what i was watching (released quicker and no filler story arcs). Buying the dvds is expensive too, for some reason i prefer R1 boxsets, probably coz they look prettier. Tho lately i see HMV and the like increasing their anime range.

Still i prefer watching fansubs. Anyone recommend any recent ones? Think the last thing i tried to watch was blood+. Saw the first 3 or 4 eps and it bored me to tears, which is odd since i'm quite open to anything. Some anime which i enjoyed, off the top of my head, are bebop, gungrave, rahxephon (sp), onegai teacher, fruit baskets, ippo, ghilbi stuff um...and a few more
Guest 20085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 20:17   #64
kaneda
The wheels on the bus go

i only really watch fansubs and most of those haven't been/never will be released here. Of those mentioned i'd say Bebop and Kenshin, Kino's as well.. oh and Giant Robo which i didn't realise was on dvd, time to replace my VHS!

Try
Legend of the Galactic Hereos - Huge machavellian series a mixture of war and politics
Monster - fantastic series, one of the best i've seen in a long long time, i haven't crapped myself that much either for a long time.
Hajime no Ippo - boxing.. this show wanted to make me a boxer.
One Piece - Kids show, just something special for me. Takes a while to get going but after that it's like a huge drug.

Current one everyone is raving about is Death Note. Released now so might wait for the dvds to start trickling out
Old 15-06-2007, 22:04   #65
Guest 8391
Gamertag: FreelanceBard

Juuni Kokki is my favourite anime.
Guest 8391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 09:31   #66
ljp
learned 2 ape the motions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ndy View Post

Still i prefer watching fansubs. Anyone recommend any recent ones? Think the last thing i tried to watch was blood+. Saw the first 3 or 4 eps and it bored me to tears, which is odd since i'm quite open to anything. Some anime which i enjoyed, off the top of my head, are bebop, gungrave, rahxephon (sp), onegai teacher, fruit baskets, ippo, ghilbi stuff um...and a few more
I have just finsihed Ergo Proxy, although it is now being released you may still find a fansubbed version around. Its one hell of a show , I would recommend it.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 05:48   #67
Guest 8391
Gamertag: FreelanceBard

You know, I just remembered another great anime that I had completely forgotten about: Escaflowne.
Guest 8391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 06:56   #68
Ghost Dog
Xbox Live: Spacescape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber View Post
You know, I just remembered another great anime that I had completely forgotten about: Escaflowne.
Yeah Escaflowne is pretty damn good too and is available in a cheap R1 Anime Legends boxset. As with Heat Guy J its directed by Kazuki Akane and I'd also recommend his other shows, Geneshaft (also available in an Anime Legends boxset) and Noein (currently being released by Manga Ent. , the R1 is preferable as the Manga UK discs are dubtitled and more expensive).
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 07:08   #69
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

I'm a bit of an anime fan...

Escaflowne is pretty good, but one of those series I have trouble rewatching (and i've got the R1 LE ).

One of the ones i've not seen mentioned yet is Saber Marrionette, which had one of the better endings i've seen in an anime in terms of what happens to the characters, even if at times the series itself is pretty boring/repetitive at times (i've got the R1 complete set, which is something like 14 disks and the story quality does vary).

I'm currently watching Cardcaptor Sakura which i'm thoroughly enjoying despite it being aimed at about 10-12 year olds.
It's one of those series that just keeps raising a smile as I watch it, and I'm finding it oddly fun trying to work out what card is being faced (and what card is going to be used against it).
I probably wouldn't have bothered with it (despite the good reviews), but at about £60 for the full 18 disk series at Rightstuff I couldn't resist

You're Under Arrest is another one i've been watching recently (another Rightstuf bargain at about £60 for the 12 disks of the ova/TV series), at times extremely funny series even if a lot of the characters don't develop much.
As the title suggests it's cop based, although it's traffic police rather than something more serious

Last Exile is very good as a sort of action/ adventure series, although the ending is pretty confusing.

I'm waiting for the Blood+ series to get a DVD release (could be a long wait, iirc Sony have the rights), as it looks interesting
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 08:15   #70
ljp

A few I would recommend (in no particular order):

City Hunter
Fruits Basket
FLCL
Magic Users Club
Princess Nine
Haibane-Renmei
Master Keaton
Gungrave
Kino's Journey
Gankutsuou
Another vote for You're Under Arrest as well!

Werewolf - don't you get stung for Import duty buying from Rightstuff?

Last edited by ljp; 18-06-2007 at 08:23.
Old 18-06-2007, 11:23   #71
mr_woo
Gamertag: Al Benicio

Another great anime to recommend is Berserk, utterly brilliant and one of my favourites. The manga is even better (from what i've read) and is still ongoing to this day.

Other animes I'd recommend if you're a fan of the comedy anime is Love Hina and Ranma 1/2.

Brilliant and very funny shows, I will never tire of seeing Keitaro from Love Hina being punched into the air or Happosai from Ranma stealing underwear (best character ever)

Ah My Goddess! is a very sweet show but the main character can be a bit of a wet blanket at times, still very funny and worth watching.

Last edited by mr_woo; 18-06-2007 at 11:24.
mr_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 12:11   #72
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
A few I would recommend (in no particular order):

Werewolf - don't you get stung for Import duty buying from Rightstuff?
Oddly enough it seems not every time despite the huge boxes TRSI often use for their bundles.

I received a Gundam Zeta box at the start of January and a huge box with the 31 disks of YUA and CCS in April, both were customs free.

I have been hit a few times, but can't really form a pattern as their shipping is so high (and discount normally no better or a lot worse than DVDPacific) that I normally only order if they have a bundle deal at a good price (i've had about 8 orders from them in 4 years, all over the customs limit).
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 13:21   #73
Brian Blessed Badger
A Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ndy View Post
Blood+ takes a while to get going (still only up to ep 19 or so) I really enjoyed Monster but it was massively long (60+eps I think) and slow (but in a good way). Of the current series Code Gaess is the only one i'm looking at (am going to check out some others though)
Brian Blessed Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 13:48   #74
ljp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Blessed Badger View Post
Blood+ takes a while to get going (still only up to ep 19 or so) I really enjoyed Monster but it was massively long (60+eps I think) and slow (but in a good way). Of the current series Code Gaess is the only one i'm looking at (am going to check out some others though)
Phil, whats Code Gaess like. I thought about grabbing an episode but wasnt sure.
Old 18-06-2007, 14:07   #75
Brian Blessed Badger
A Badger

It's fairly decent, some school elements, some giant robot suits and and and evil British empire - takes a few episodes to get going I think. I think there's only a couple of eps left to be shown so it's mostly complete
Brian Blessed Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 14:19   #76
Ghost Dog

For shows that are still airing in Japan i'd recommend -

Claymore
Sola
Kekkaishi
Bokurano
Seirei No Moribito (from the director of GITS:SAC)
Darker Than Black
Dennou Coil
Hayate No Gotoku!
Lucky Star
Old 18-06-2007, 14:48   #77
ljp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
For shows that are still airing in Japan i'd recommend -

Claymore
Sola
Kekkaishi
Bokurano
Seirei No Moribito (from the director of GITS:SAC)
Darker Than Black
Dennou Coil
Hayate No Gotoku!
Lucky Star
How good is Darker than Black? Constantly good all the way through or an average show (so far) with a couple of really high spots in a few shows?
Old 18-06-2007, 15:39   #78
Ghost Dog

Well it's only up to episode 10 out of (i think) 26 but so far its been pretty consistent. The stories are told in 2 episode mini-arcs and the first 3 arcs were all rather awesome. It almost dropped the ball with a slightly odd comedy arc in 7 & 8 but the last 2 episodes have been more like the earlier eps but perhaps not quite as good. I've heard that it gets a lot better again in 11 & 12 tho i haven't seen them yet (not subbed yet). The animation is by Studio Bones and maintains the quality on that front.
Old 18-06-2007, 15:57   #79
ljp

Thanks Ghost Dog, I have done a little searching and it looks like this could be the next show when I get to the end of Ergo.
Old 18-06-2007, 17:21   #80
Guest 9392
professional time waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Bit off an addict here,

huge list
All that an no Cowboy Bebop? I would wave a "no no" finger, but i'm too shocked at its omission!
Guest 9392 is offline   Reply With Quote