Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 19-09-2007, 11:25   #61
Guest 59267
Trusted User

That seems to be true: I have to admit, the most recent of his films I've seen is Trauma, and that was mostly ropey. The mostly positive advance reviews for Mother of Tears give me new confidence, though.
Guest 59267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 12:54   #62
anephric
Kidney Thief

Trauma was a mess of international miscues and Argento not being used to US methods of shooting. I liked it at the time but watching it again the other day I was depressed by how scrappy it is, and not just technically.

The last Argento flick I genuinely liked must be Opera - his section of Two Evil Eyes has some nice moments, and Sleepless has a few sequences I like (and many I detest) but he hasn't done much in the last two decades I've thought much of. I haven't seen Do You Like Hitchcock? but I thought both his Masters of Horror efforts were pretty awful, Pelts in particular risible in places.

Last edited by anephric; 19-09-2007 at 12:55.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 17:03   #63
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
Trauma was a mess of international miscues and Argento not being used to US methods of shooting. I liked it at the time but watching it again the other day I was depressed by how scrappy it is, and not just technically.

The last Argento flick I genuinely liked must be Opera - his section of Two Evil Eyes has some nice moments, and Sleepless has a few sequences I like (and many I detest) but he hasn't done much in the last two decades I've thought much of. I haven't seen Do You Like Hitchcock? but I thought both his Masters of Horror efforts were pretty awful, Pelts in particular risible in places.
I like Trauma much more than Sleepless. True the latter has its moments - but Trauma is vastly more entertaining.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 17:09   #64
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
I like Trauma much more than Sleepless. True the latter has its moments - but Trauma is vastly more entertaining.
I agree with anephric, and prefer Sleepless over Trauma.

Trauma is wholly spoilt by that scene (you'll know which one if you've seen the film) even though it does have some good moments in it. It seems quite tame for an Argento flick too, perhaps it had some censorship issues?
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 17:30   #65
Richie
Trusted User

I thought Trauma was great!http://www.thedvdforums.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=44592
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 17:38   #66
Guest 28082
Trusted User

This might not be the right thread but what's the best version of Suspiria to get on R2?
Guest 28082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 22:15   #67
Guest 59267
Trusted User

I think that there's only the naff bare bones Anchor Bay one (with poor 2.0 sound, as well!) in print at the moment. I got the two discer off ebay a while ago mainly for the surround sound, but I messed up and got the one with the faulty DTS track. Picture and sound otherwise are good, though.
Old 22-09-2007, 09:59   #68
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheDance View Post
I agree with anephric, and prefer Sleepless over Trauma.

Trauma is wholly spoilt by that scene (you'll know which one if you've seen the film) even though it does have some good moments in it. It seems quite tame for an Argento flick too, perhaps it had some censorship issues?
Hmm.. Y'see I thought Trauma was a bit more wild, a bit more Argento.. Sleepless, while decent enough, had too many lagging moments. Much more gory yes - of which was very well done too, but not really as stylish (save a few scenes here and there). Don't get me wrong, I like them both - but I was slightly disappointed with Sleepless.

Do we all share the love for Phenomena? I love that movie..
Old 22-09-2007, 10:34   #69
anephric
Kidney Thief

If Phenomena has taught me anything, it's that Swiss phones come with approximately 2 miles of extension cable.

Phenomena is delightfully loopy, if a bit messy. It's a shame it is so messy (like the telepathy-insect thing being a bit pointless) but the aforementioned sequence, where Connelly follows the cord down into the corpse room, is nearly as good as Inferno's underwater bit.

I *hate* the soundtrack, though. Hate it with a passion, and I like metal. This is the film where Argento decided he was going to stick Billy Idol on top of everything - the notion of which is frankly scarier than almost anything he's directed.

Last edited by anephric; 22-09-2007 at 10:36.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2007, 11:25   #70
Guest 59267
Trusted User

I haven't seen Phenomena, sadly, though I would like to. Any sign of a better DVD release coming?
Also, that book Profondo Argento is well worth getting, if you haven't already.
Old 22-09-2007, 16:37   #71
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wedd View Post
I haven't seen Phenomena, sadly, though I would like to. Any sign of a better DVD release coming?
Also, that book Profondo Argento is well worth getting, if you haven't already.
Well as far as I know, Blue Underground are re-releasing all of Argento's catalogue - although mostly direct ports of Anchor Bay.

Yeh, I have Profondo Argento - I've met Alan Jones a few times, and chatted to him briefly about The Third Mother at this years frightfest (he's a very nice, approachable fella). I think he was a bit sick he couldn't make it to Toronto for the premier - although he said he was going to Rome's premier on the (18th?) Oct I believe. He said he has seen a good 30 - 40 mins though, and gave it the thumbs up - which is more hopeful coming from him, than some of the pretty scathing Toronto advance reviews I have read.

Back on track - as for the music in Phenomena anephric - can't say it bothered me. But metal has never worked better for him than in Opera.
Old 25-09-2007, 14:45   #72
Guest 28750
What the BBFC Ban, I Buy

Watched 'The Card Player' today. thought it would be crap but enjoyed it in a 'Drama' Kind-of-way
Guest 28750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 19:43   #73
anephric
Kidney Thief

People who are interested will probably already know, but the previously mentioned screengrabs that hinted at a "proper" DVD release of Four Flies on Grey Velvet have resulted in a DVD by German outfit Retrofilm. This is indeed the best extant version of Four Flies by some degree (not much competition) but again it seems to be a bootleg, albeit a very good one (although it has lower-quality sections).

For screengrabs, I refer you to Mr. Mackenzie.
Old 16-04-2008, 12:43   #74
DM
Self Abuser

Just got Deep Red. Which version to watch, Directors or Theatrical?
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 12:59   #75
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Directors - but be prepared for the audio to switch randomly between Italian & English, often mid conversation. Due to them missing the audio for restored scenes.

It's disconcerting at first, but you get used to it.

Last edited by Ratfink; 16-04-2008 at 13:00.
Old 16-04-2008, 13:36   #76
DM
Self Abuser

Cheers.. The PQ on the theatrical looks a lot better, shame
DM is offline   Reply With Quote