Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 10:41   #21
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quantum Leap - Sorry but a terrible final episode, resolved nothing used a caption at the end to underline that Sam never returned home. Was the guy in the bar God? Which begs the question what does God need with a time traveller?
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:14   #22
shteve
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Finally got around to watching Band of Brothers recently... I know.. Years too late but what an amazing Series. I wish Id watched it when my Dad was still Alive as it would have been his kind of programme..

The Pacific, although Good.. Just didnt stand out as much for me..

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think if you go into The Pacific expecting BoB 2, you'll be disappointed. I rewatched it recently and enjoyed it a lot more. Probably helped that it was on BluRay so I could see more detail in the darker scenes too.
Old 04-11-2018, 13:30   #23
Taq
Evil Scientist

Fringe is a textbook example of how to end a mythology show properly, something both new BSG and Lost failed to do. It rounds things off from a story and character point of view perfectly. For Lost and BSG; great character-wise, but they forgot the story.
Babylon 5 also has a perfect ending for me (although I can't really talk to anyone for a short while afterwards).
Apart from that, the end of Nikita was great, as was Defiance, and Spartacus.

Not a TV series, but the end of The Last of Us is also excellent.

If I don't like how a series ends, I'm unlikely to watch it again.
Old 04-11-2018, 14:21   #24
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Quantum Leap - Sorry but a terrible final episode, resolved nothing used a caption at the end to underline that Sam never returned home. Was the guy in the bar God? Which begs the question what does God need with a time traveller?
I think I read somewhere that this wasn’t the way it was supposed to end. If Quantum Leap was renewed for another season Al would leap in a search for Sam. Al & Beth discussed this in a scene that may have been filmed but never used, being replaced instead with just text at the end because the show had been cancelled.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 14:30   #25
Taq
Evil Scientist

Yeah, the end of QL was a big kick in the goolies.
Old 04-11-2018, 14:32   #26
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
Fringe is a textbook example of how to end a mythology show properly, something both new BSG and Lost failed to do. It rounds things off from a story and character point of view perfectly. For Lost and BSG; great character-wise, but they forgot the story.
Babylon 5 also has a perfect ending for me (although I can't really talk to anyone for a short while afterwards).
Personally I liked both BSG and Lost endings. However, although I own BSG The Plan and I acknowledge it has some really cool scenes; it unfortunately tries to explain too much and undermines explanations that I would prefer. It also adds more questions and inconsistencies to the mix. I tend to just ignore The Plan because the whole story works much better without it.
Old 04-11-2018, 17:34   #27
fivebyfive
Trusted User

I quite like the final few minutes of the ending of BSG, not so keen on how they just

Enterprise final ep was really insulting after the massive improvement in s4, apparently the exec producers did it as a **** you to the new guy that took over

Dexter final ep was trash but its been **** for ages

I liked Nikita and Spartacus endings
Old 04-11-2018, 19:30   #28
Wooglie
Rurouni

I haven't watched it in a while, but I remember Farscape ending well, but a bit ambiguous.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 00:44   #29
SGP_Mustang
mm, beer.

Good - The Sopranos. Some say it's bad but I don't know how else they could have ended it to be honest. Overall the show was brilliant.

Bad - Dexter. Possibly the worst season finale I've watched. A real shame because the earlier seasons are amazing (1,2 & 4 in particular)

Also bad - Sons of Anarchy. Loved the entire show but thought the ending was a bit stupid.

https://twitter.com/Zeppelin0309
SGP_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 13:47   #30
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Blake's 7 is my favourite ending, a great ending to a great series.

Second would be Babylon 5, both of which have been mentioned by others here. I also liked the ending of classic Doctor Who, not the story, never keen on Survival, but when they found out last minute they weren't coming back Sylvester McCoy was given a voice over to wrap things up. That I liked.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 13:59   #31
JohnMac

Babylon 5 had a great and emotional finale. Of course, it was filmed at the end of season 4 to be shown if B5 didn’t get renewed for a 5th season.
Old 05-11-2018, 16:38   #32
Woz
Viva indifference

I thought Buffy ended pretty well, although it has continued in comic form.
House had a lovely ending too...a series that seemed to get stronger as it progressed. I miss it.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 17:13   #33
GregB
Stagger Lee

The West Wing finished really well.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:54   #34
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I was thinking about this recently, watching TV shows is one of my favourite pass times, but so few of them end with any real satisfaction most get cancelled so never get to have that final goodbye but the ones that do usually end up being stinkers and then taint the show for me.

Good ones:

Babylon 5
DS9
The Leftovers
Breaking Bad

Stinkers:

The Sopranos - did they let the trainee decide edit the ending?

Lost - They had two season advance notice that show was going to end at season 6, two years to map out a roadmap on how to end it and still failed so spectacularly. Lindelof obviously learned his lesson and gave the Leftovers a really nice and satisfying end even though the show was cancelled in its 3rd season.

BSG - I will need to go back and watch this again I haven't seen it since its original run and I don't think it is bad as the two above but still seemed a odd choice.

I guess most other shows just fall into the cancelled and didn't get to proper end episode.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 13:48   #35
AndyN85
Trusted User

Kyle XY's ending was diabolical
Dexters wasn't much better
AndyN85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 22:46   #36
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Star Trek: DS9 was a fantastic ending
Star Trek: TNG also good

Breaking Bad
Scrubs (season 8, not Med School)
Futurama (both the original run and then the final final episode)
Battlestar - a strong ending after a fairly weak final season
Friends
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
ER
Firefly
Stargate: Universe (an unresolved cliffhanger but the show was fantastic by this point)
Parks & Rec
The Americans
Twin Peaks (original run and modern series)
Star Wars: Rebels

Somewhere in between good and bad...

Veronica Mars (didn't feel like an ending)
Deadwood (as above)
Stargate SG-1

And the bad stuff...

Star Trek: Enterprise (complete joke)
Lost
The X-Files (original run)
Dexter
How I Met Your Mother
Sherlock (assuming it's done?)
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 23:43   #37
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post

Stinkers:

The Sopranos - did they let the trainee decide edit the ending?

Nope. It was fantastic. Once I got it, initially I thought my TV had gone phut at the most inopportune moment and I stood there shouting at it.

I'm saying "I" got it. There's a number of different explanations for why that happened and the writer himself hasn't come out and explained it, only that it's all there for you to see. My own "theory" for it, left it to me as a stroke of genius.

This blog had the same thoughts as me and goes way deeper than I ever did with symbolism etc.

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.c...on-of-the-end/
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 23:53   #38
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
Nope. It was fantastic. Once I got it, initially I thought my TV had gone phut at the most inopportune moment and I stood there shouting at it.

I'm saying "I" got it. There's a number of different explanations for why that happened and the writer himself hasn't come out and explained it, only that it's all there for you to see. My own "theory" for it, left it to me as a stroke of genius.

This blog had the same thoughts as me and goes way deeper than I ever did with symbolism etc.

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.c...on-of-the-end/
Here is my thinking, it's a absolute steaming pile of crap of an ending. I don't need theory, this wasn't philosophy, it was lazy, sloppy and only beaten by Lost for shear rubbish. It tainted the series so bad that I have no desire to ever watch it again.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:35   #39
MaxNutter

I didn't mind the ending of the Sopranos, it works on several levels, either life goes on for Tony and his family, albeit with him always suspicious that a hit will come, or a hit does come and we're witnessing his final moments, take from it what you will.

I prefer that to him being arrested or killed on-screen in a shootout or professional hit.

The only other ending I could think of would be him sat on his pool lounger with a drink and a cigar, grinning to camera, but that's cheesy and breaks the 4th wall.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:57   #40
nutter45
burninator

As above, I liked the ambiguity of the Sopranos ending. It seemed fitting to me.

Breaking Bad (penultimate episode especially), The Shield and Justified are my immediate stand out good finishes.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote