Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 05-11-2018, 10:24   #61
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

As others have said ... that was a truly awful episode.

Sometimes you yearn for a return to the Russell T Davies era - and that is a real worry.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:33   #62
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Yeah, another poor episode this week. Started ok (despite all the running-down-corridor scenes) & did a good job of raising the tension with everything that was going wrong. I even liked the creature & was looking forward to how they planned to deal with him but oh no! ... their solution was oh so predictable & stolen from the movies the episode was ripping off. Another example of very lazy writing from Chibnall. He can write ok dialogue/banter, but the actual plots/storylines so far have been basic & sub-par.

Next week looks like another dull history lesson where no doubt they'll bludgeon us again with another moral agenda...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:57   #63
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Didn't think it was terrible, but it was too frantic for its own good, the critter reminded me of Stitch from Disney's Lilo & Stitch, & I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the android servant was.

The sets were very nice though.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:18   #64
Taq
Evil Scientist

I thought the TARDIS had a homing mechanism in previous series? Guess it broke on the refit.
Old 06-11-2018, 13:20   #65
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Yes it does, bad writing! Or Jodie was too discombobulated and not thinking straight. It's always been a sticknig point in stories though, sometimes it seems to be forgotten
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:25   #66
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

It is not getting any better is it ?

Another 'Fisher Price history for kids with an alien shoe horned in' episode. Just 1 more history lesson for Bradley's character and we have completed the set
Old 12-11-2018, 08:06   #67
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I don't mind the history, it's the lack of decent bad guys or any drama that's been the problem for the last few weeks.

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29   #68
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
It is not getting any better is it ?
Agreed. I thought the opening was really clunky - some horrible, awkward dialogue throughout the episode - and then rest of the story was fairly straightforwards after that. I was pleased they didn't sugar-coat the outcome, but that was the only interesting bit of the the episode.

However, I've read two reviews this morning and both have said they loved it. The whole show has changed, and it's not a direction that particularly interests me. That's fine, it'll change again I'm sure, but I can't see many kids wanting to buy into Doctor Who on the back some rubbish not-monsters and a story about politics. Who is it made for now?
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:45   #69
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
I don't mind the history, it's the lack of decent bad guys or any drama that's been the problem for the last few weeks.

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk
Yes, it has been lacking in decent bad guys, IIRC out of the 6 episodes so far there have been 3 with an actual bad guy, one of those was a mindless monster, so no real interaction there, one was a plank of wood with a time bracelet, so no real interaction there, so only really the hunter guy from the first episode and he wasn't exactly fleshed out.

The aliens in last night's were an interesting enough idea (though not exactly original), but other than causing lots of running about before mentioning that actually they weren't bad guys they didn't really impact on the story, they just gave the doctor something to do while the show gave us a history lesson. Even more so than the Rosa Parks episode, it seemed like the doctor and companions just didn't have any impact on events, which is not really what you want.

I think Jodie is doing an alright job capturing a fun and quirky side of the doctor but we still haven't really had a moment where's she's got across the idea of the doctor a someone who can even give a dalek the willies when annoyed. Not her fault, there just hasn't been an episode that's given any sort of opportunity for that.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:01   #70
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Calling it now ... Bradley's history lesson is going to be that Ryan's gran was a Windrush citizen
Old 12-11-2018, 09:47   #71
TonyG

Yeah, quickly got bored with this week's episode, despite not being that familiar with this episode's history lesson. Once again, like last week, we are told that the aliens they face are the worst-of the worst but ultimately are actually not that threatening. Also didn't help that the acting from this episode's new characters was very clunky. Only the dark denouement (letting history play out) was effective but not for the first time this season, it meant the Doctor was ultimately, just an observer...
Old 12-11-2018, 11:07   #72
aprout
worn to perfection

Also not familiar with this episode's history lesson, & to be honest, by the end of the episode I didn't really feel any better informed.

Not sure if it was the mood I was in (Remembrance Day, having just watched the misery of Ray Donovan season 5 earlier that afternoon), but I came away thinking it was one of the better ones so far. Yes, the aliens were utterly pointless (nice masks though), & the acting was all over the place, but something in there moved me.

As ever, the highlights were the cinematography & the score. I trust there'll be a soundtrack CD at some point?
Old 12-11-2018, 13:29   #73
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Whereas I thought it was a superb episode, the best in years, found it quite emotional and made a nice change for the aliens not to be bad guy of the week, this show is quite xenophobic that way, most alien looking aliens are bad. I am enjoying the new direction who is going.
Old 18-11-2018, 20:51   #74
eye__writ
Trusted User

Really sad about this one.

I thought it was on the brink of being fantastic, like a mini Black Mirror episode, but had just enough of the usual crappy sidekick moments to drag everything else down.

There was still lots about it to enjoy, with some good humour and a dark edge.

Sigh; so close.
Old 18-11-2018, 23:56   #75
jpig
Trusted User

In a rubbish season of stories, it was one of the better ones.

I've no idea why - maybe I've just grown out of it - but I just find it all so anti-climatic. Where has the drama gone?
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 08:27   #76
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
Really sad about this one.

I thought it was on the brink of being fantastic, like a mini Black Mirror episode, but had just enough of the usual crappy sidekick moments to drag everything else down.

There was still lots about it to enjoy, with some good humour and a dark edge.

Sigh; so close.
Agree with this.

It had so much potential and started quite well but was completely let down IMHO by the awful Monsters Inc / Toy Story rip offs in the 'getting down to despatch' scenes.
Old 19-11-2018, 09:51   #77
TonyG

Unfortunately the show has become background noise for me now. If it doesn't engage me within the first 15 minutes, my iPad takes over my attention. For every ok moment of humour/dialogue, there's several moments of cringe-worthy acting/dialogue and/or ripping off other better shows/movies...
Old 19-11-2018, 13:45   #78
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Sorry thought this was the worst episode since Love & Monsters, bad acting, bad dialogue and fake looking CGI.

For example, the gloop with the watch visually telling intelligent people that that's where the missing end up, then the doctor says as such, then Graham or someone clarifies saying the same thing again. The whole script was like this, really felt CBBC.

It's also getting clunky with him telling people constantly about his dyspraxia before every action scene. Meant to add tension, perhaps with a good actor it may of, but its just lame instead.
Old 19-11-2018, 13:50   #79
aprout
worn to perfection

Enjoyed it, but it felt like a lesser David Tennant-era script that someone had pulled out of a dusty drawer.

The twist of who was behind it all was a pleasant surprise, & the young girl reminded me of Carey Mulligan which is always a plus. Her fate felt awfully harsh, but I guess that was the point.

I can only assume Lee Mack is a massive fan, otherwise why would he sign up for such a nothing role? I kept expecting him to return at some point...
Old 19-11-2018, 13:53   #80
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
bad acting, bad dialogue and fake looking CGI.
The whole script was like this, really felt CBBC.
See, this is interesting, because that's exactly what Doctor Who has always felt like to me. Especially in it's modern form. It's what has kept me from watching for so many years, so I find it kind of amusing that it's a complaint that's now popping up here.

I am kind of enjoying this series, though. I'm watching for Jodie and she's not letting me down, but my basis for comparison is very narrow.
LeftHandedGuitarist is online now   Reply With Quote