Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 28-10-2018, 21:57   #41
ASH
Slave to my dogs :)

wasn't too bad - a quick hint of lesbianism, a pop at Trump and spiders!. Shame about the dreadful shot of the tardis at the end when the door opened and you saw that it was just a box
Old 29-10-2018, 10:25   #42
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Started off well & the spiders were bloody terrifying, but it didn't really go anywhere. It had a beginning, a middle, & an eh, that'll do.

I'm guessing (hoping?) we'll see Chris Noth again at some point, otherwise his storyline just petered out, & the solution to the arachnid problem? Lock 'em all in a room & leave 'em to it, it's more humane. Eh?

Also, the stuff about Yaz's dad hording all the rubbish came to very little, despite all the lingering, ominous shots of it sitting in the kitchen, & her mum doesn't seem to know if her daughter is gay, straight or bi...

& I never thought I'd say this, but Bradley Walsh is quickly becoming the MVP of this series, acting-wise.
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 10:31   #43
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Not read the above comments but holding off watching this until I can watch it in a brightly lit room, and not before going to bed because I'm terrified of spiders.

I'm even considering not watching it at all
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 10:38   #44
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Aargh, spiders!
A fun throwaway episode that managed to end on a strong note (both from a character and "villain" point of view).

Agree that Bradley Walsh is surprisingly good in this. Who knew? Almost everyone else outside of Jodie is still pretty awful, though.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 11:32   #45
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Another ok episode. The spider FX were excellent & totally creeped me out, so job done there. Everything else though was poor. Noth is normally reliable but his OTT performance made me cringe throughout. As mentioned, the story conclusion was dreadful & made no sense.

Jodie continues to be very good but one thing she needs to dial down, is that OTT action she always does when using the sonic-screwdriver...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 13:33   #46
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Yeah the sonic isn't a magic wand Jodie. Dial it down a bit.

I'm afraid I'm not really feeling it this season.

Jodie is coming across as far too eager and a bit of a manic cross between Tennant and Smith.

I was really looking forward to a female Doctor but it just isn't working for me so far. Maybe it's the writing. She seems to have a stupid amount to say in any given scene and has to rush through her dialogue.

Plotwise last nights episode was all over the place.

Crossing my fingers that it'll improve as the cast and crew find their feet.

Last edited by Mevlock; 29-10-2018 at 20:54.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 14:31   #47
Ricinus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH View Post
Shame about the dreadful shot of the tardis at the end when the door opened and you saw that it was just a box
I thought we saw, from the inside, that the Police box is now like a porch sticking out from the interior. Viewing sideways through the open door would show the inside walls of the box.
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 15:17   #48
oldskool
Trusted User

I'm just not feeling this season of Who so far...

It's mostly the same criticisms that other people have been saying, the villains are...lacklustre and instead of dangerous come across as mildly annoying, kinda like they were made for CBBC.

So far, one particular character is vastly underwritten, even though we spent a lot of the last episode with her family.

Jodie I feel could be so much better but she's trying to squeeze too much dialogue into to little space and lacks gravitas when it's required, just kinda one note manic....I don't blame her for that, she's a great actor, but the dialogue she's being given is just...one note. She's also not had that "I am the doctor" moment yet for me, maybe that's coming....

The new TARDIS interior also makes it very difficult to actually see what's going on due to those god awful massive columns round the centre console making anything going on in the tardis look cramped, particularly with so many people in it....In 10's tardis, there were 8 or so people in there round the console and you could clearly see what was going on, with 4 in 13's, you can see bugger all

These are criticisms aimed straight at the showrunner, not the cast who are doing the best with what they're given
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 16:32   #49
barrynorton
The Falklands are British

Ive given it 3 episodes and for me, my time with Dr who is finished.

In my mind, Peter Capaldi regenerated into the First Dr to begin the endless loop again.
barrynorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 09:16   #50
neilalford
I angered a crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
It's mostly the same criticisms that other people have been saying, the villains are...lacklustre and instead of dangerous come across as mildly annoying, kinda like they were made for CBBC.

Jodie I feel could be so much better but she's trying to squeeze too much dialogue into to little space and lacks gravitas when it's required, just kinda one note manic....I don't blame her for that, she's a great actor, but the dialogue she's being given is just...one note. She's also not had that "I am the doctor" moment yet for me, maybe that's coming....These are criticisms aimed straight at the showrunner, not the cast who are doing the best with what they're given
Yep, I'd agree Jodie, is giving a good "quirky" character, but does seem to be missing "doctorness" so far, previous doctors gave the impression of a slightly manic and quirky character who basically used that to disguise the fact that they were by far the smartest person in the room and probably a few steps ahead of everyone else, whereas so far I'm not really getting that part of it and yes, she hasn't really had an "I am the Doctor" type moment yet.

The episodes have been fun enough but lacking interesting villains, Sunday's was a fun romp, the Rosa Parks one was an interesting docu-drama about her with a pretty poor sci-fi plot tacked on, might have been more interesting (and braver) if they'd actually gone for a pure historical!

Suspecting that Chris Noth may show up again, maybe as president in the future, as otherwise there didn't seem to be any reason for bringing that into the story.

Certainly not giving up on it but hoping it gets better.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 12:08   #51
dvds2000
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
I'm just not feeling this season of Who so far...

Funnily enough, on Sunday when I was watching it I said to my daughter that it feels like I'm watching the Sarah Jane adventures as it feels like something that should be on CCBC.

Keep seeing reviews saying how good it is, but I haven't properly got into a single episode yet, certainly hasn't been one that I can see me wanting to watch again.

Jodie is better than I was expecting her to be tbh, but everything else just seems to be poor.
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 13:22   #52
belgarion_v
Vince Donald

People keep comparing Jodie with David Tennant or Matthew Smith, but a mate of mine pointed out that she's more like Tom Baker, so lets hope they don't bring back K-9

And that last episode probably means my wife will never visit Sheffield again

Vince
belgarion_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 19:13   #53
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
Funnily enough, on Sunday when I was watching it I said to my daughter that it feels like I'm watching the Sarah Jane adventures as it feels like something that should be on CCBC.

Keep seeing reviews saying how good it is, but I haven't properly got into a single episode yet, certainly hasn't been one that I can see me wanting to watch again.

Jodie is better than I was expecting her to be tbh, but everything else just seems to be poor.
Completely agree, the reviews are loving it but I think its really bad, makes RTD episodes look subtle. There has only 1 scene I liked where the Tardis reappears in ep 2 and Dr's reaction and as mentioned the cinematic look of the show (new cameras?) but nothing else
Old 30-10-2018, 19:31   #54
redmosquito
Trusted User

I've never found Doctor who boring, even in the awful episodes, but I fell asleep during the last episode and can't even be arsed to go back and watch it again.

It's a shame as I love Jodie as the doctor but I feel like I'm lurching between CBBC historical drama and the show runner's own heavy handed political preachiness.

I honestly thought hating Bradley Walsh would be my biggest issue but he's been fine. Show needs to lose a companion and quick, Ryan should go seeing as the guy who plays him can't act for ****.
redmosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 15:00   #55
dvds2000
Trusted User

No Christmas special this year as apparently they have ran out of ideas for Christmas stories!
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 20:45   #56
jpig
Trusted User

More "so what" this week. Mrs Jpig already given up. I can see lots of others doing so too. I like the cast but the stories are tepid and far too many scenes revolve minutes of standing around and telling us stuff instead of showing us it.

It's rating well, but for me it's the most 'meh' the show has been in a long while.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 21:17   #57
eye__writ
Trusted User

The best thing about this new series is still the opening titles and remixed theme.
Old 04-11-2018, 22:16   #58
ASH
Slave to my dogs :)

Dear god that was truly awful. I really feel for Jodie being given such crap episodes.

So we've moved from the enforced homosexuality of Torchwood to the enforced PC of Dr Who. Female doctor, 3 companions a matched ethnic pair male and female and a token white man (but that's ok he's old and has cancer so doesn't really matter)

Bring back shaky sets, plastic aliens, green ghoulie invaders from vega 5 and a smattering of laughs PLEASE
Old 04-11-2018, 22:45   #59
Choccy
Trusted User

I've only watched 2 episodes and feel that Jodie has the makings of a great Dr, but the episodes have been crap sadly.
Choccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:24   #60
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Yes I thought that too, especially after she'd spent the previous few minutes moralising to Trump clone about taking responsibility and washing your hands of things.

Last edited by Taq; 05-11-2018 at 08:21.
Taq is offline   Reply With Quote