Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 23-01-2018, 14:09   #1
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Oscars 2018

And the nominations are:

Best Picture
Call Me by Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Directing
Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Jordan Peele, Get Out
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
Guillermo del Toro, Shape of Water

Actor in a Leading Role
Timothée Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Actress in a Leading Role
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
Meryl Streep, The Post

Actress in a Supporting Role
Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Actor in a Supporting Role
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Adapted Screenplay
Call Me by Your Name
The Disaster Artist
Logan
Molly’s Game
Mudbound

Original Screenplay
The Big Sick
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Shape of Water

Animated Feature Film
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

Foreign Language Film
A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
The Insult (Lebanon)
Loveless (Russia)
Body and Soul (Hungary)
The Square (Sweden)

Documentary Feature
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
Faces/Places
Icarus
Last Men in Aleppo
Strong Island

Cinematography
Blade Runner: 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water

Film Editing
Baby Driver
Dunkirk
I, Tonya
The Shape of Water

Production Design
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner: 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Costume Design
Beauty and the Beast
Darkest Hour
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
Victoria & Abdul

Makeup and Hairstyling
Darkest Hour
Victoria & Abdul
Wonder

Original Score
Dunkirk
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Original Song
“Mighty River,” Mudbound
“Mystery of Love,” Call Me by Your Name
“Remember Me,” Coco
“Stand Up for Something,” Marshall
“This Is Me,” The Greatest Showman

Sound Editing
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Sound Mixing
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Visual Effects
Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island
War for the Planet of the Apes

Animated Short Film
Dear Basketball
Garden Party
Lou
Negative Space
Revolting Rhymes

Live Action Short Film
DeKalb Elementary
The Eleven O’Clock
My Nephew Emmett
The Silent Child
Watu Wote: All of Us

Documentary Short Subject
Edith and Eddie
Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405
Heroin(e)
Knife Skills
Traffic Stop

Given the state of Hollywood at the moment, what's sure to be an absolute car-crash of a show will be on March 4th, hosted again by Jimmy Kimmel.
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 14:16   #2
Hernster
Toon Army Member

First time for a few years that I've seen one of the films up for Best Picture.
Hernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 14:58   #3
Hood
HipHopPotamus

To be honest the only noticeably odd choices for me are Boss Baby and Ferdinand in the animated feature category. Both objectively average films that have no place being nominated for best anything. Clearly there to make up the numbers but it seems wrong to allow any old **** to be able boast that it's "Oscar nominated">
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 16:37   #4
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
To be honest the only noticeably odd choices for me are Boss Baby and Ferdinand in the animated feature category.
This was my first thought. It's a travesty those two films have been picked. I've not seen Ferdinand but it looks terrible and The Boss Baby is terrible.

Considering they had mainstream fare like the excellent Lego Batman and very enjoyable Lego Ninjago to pick from plus some excellent anime films in A Silence Voice and In This Corner of the World only makes it worse. Napping Princess is another (wouldn't be my pick but it's a certainly better than The Boss Baby!) and there's also Mary and the Witch's Flower (though I'm not sure how good that is, just going on the talent involved).
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 17:12   #5
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

Get Out whilst good i wouldn't say is a best picture or directing nom for me. Started strong but seemed rushed towards the end. Would have rather had something like Baby Driver in there as a surprise nomination.
TheCookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:01   #6
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Darkest hour best picture?! That's a suprise for me.

Haven't seen all the main nominations for the mayor categories but still time to see a few more before the awards.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:34   #7
ascender
Trusted User

When do we actually get the chance to see The Shape of Water in this country? I love his movies, but I’m sick to the back teeth of hearing how good it is, seeing articles about it and have lost track of how many months there’s been ads in magazines for it.

The immediate surprises in that list for me have already been mentioned.... Darkest Hour, Boss Baby and Ferdinand???
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:44   #8
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,082 Posts
February I think
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 18:47   #9
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Oldman looks good for the Best Actor award.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 19:11   #10
Shingster
Trusted User

Daniel Kaluuya for best actor? What the ****? Now I liked Get Out just the same as anyone else, but did anyone come of the theatre for that film saying "boy they need to start handing out oscars for those performances right now!". I'm really scratching my head over this one, Get Out in the Best Picture pool? Fine by me. Peele for Director and Screenplay? Absolutely! But Best Actor? It was a good performance no doubt, but I don't see how it was a stand out role or performance in any way, nor can I see how it could be in there based on sort fan demand either?
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 19:59   #11
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
When do we actually get the chance to see The Shape of Water in this country? I love his movies, but I’m sick to the back teeth of hearing how good it is, seeing articles about it and have lost track of how many months there’s been ads in magazines for it.
February 14th but I'm going to see it at Cineworld unlimited preview next Tuesday.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 11:31   #12
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
I'm surprised The Shape of Water is leading the pack in nominations. It is very good & probably Del Toro's best film so far, but feels the least 'Oscar-y' of the bunch (unlike say, Darkest Hour, which feels like it was made as awards-bait). Sign of the times I suppose, & that's not a bad thing.

Since they expanded the Best Picture category from 5 to 10 films, there's always been at least one 'Really?' nomination every year. Get Out is this years' 'Little Film That Could'. Nobody expected much from it, but it was critically adored & made a fortune at the box office. Hence the nominations. Quite happy it's there myself.

Oldman & McDormand look like locks for their categories, but I'd much rather Sally Hawkins or Saoirse Ronan took Best Actress. Much better but less 'showy' performances.

I guess Octavia Spencer is now the Meryl Streep of Supporting Actress nominations. Another nothing role that doesn't really merit a nod, & like the one she got last year it just screams of affirmative action. Glad Laurie Metcalf made the cut, though I imagine Allison Janney will win (& deserves to).

Hoping the Planet of the Apes peeps finally get their due in the Visual Effects category.
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 11:44   #13
oldskool
Trusted User

Should be more Logan than just "adapted screenplay"

Last edited by oldskool; 24-01-2018 at 11:45.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 12:14   #14
Hood
HipHopPotamus

People don't really have a clue want they want from the Oscars. People moan that popular mainstream films are ignored and then when something like Get Out is nominated they complain that it doesn't feel worthy enough. Also there are complaints that it's always the same old faces and then when they nominate a far more diverse bunch, people start screaming political correctness. Make your ******* minds up.

Personally, I have no problem with Get Out being there. I thought it was great. Well written, well directed and great performances and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly no less deserving than any of the others nominated. It's not in my top five films of last year perhaps but I would rather something like that being nominated that some awards bait biopic.

Also yes not enough nominations for Logan.

Last edited by Hood; 24-01-2018 at 12:16.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 17:30   #15
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

I decided that Oscars were a politically (or whatever) correct farce exactly 25 years ago during the 1993 awards when Tommy Lee Jones was awarded the Best Supporting Actor for his good but nothing special role in The Fugitive in preference to the shatteringly brilliant performance of Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 18:17   #16
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
I decided that Oscars were a politically (or whatever) correct farce exactly 25 years ago during the 1993 awards when Tommy Lee Jones was awarded the Best Supporting Actor for his good but nothing special role in The Fugitive in preference to the shatteringly brilliant performance of Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List.
Always wondered why he never got the Oscar for U.S. Marshals if he was that good in The Fugitive.

Oscars have become a bit of a joke, time to retire them altogether. Actors get enough via salaries and always seem to moan that once they get an Oscar they are cursed into never getting a good role again (Halle Berry, Hillary Swank).

So a new awards system for the people behind the cameras. No nominations just a straight forward who is the best, Director, Editor, Music, Effects, Makeup etc out of all the films released between Jan 5th and Dec 1st. How they are picked simple the people who spend money going to see the movies. Voting occurs between Dec 10th and Jan 1st results announced Jan 4th.

Simple ceremony.. Job Done
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 18:17   #17
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
I think I first had doubts when Fred Astaire was nominated for The Towering Inferno. Even at the tender age of considerably younger than I am now, I remember thinking 'come again?' Since then there have been too many questionable decisions to list, but Jones in The Fugitive would certainly be on it.

It's heartening when you think a winner is worthy, but at the end of the day, it's just pals in the biz putting on glitzy frocks and slapping each other on the back (plus, it gets dark). The Golden Globes are an even bigger farce.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 21:07   #18
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
Legally or illegally

On a separate note ... having seen it, I don't get Harrelson's nomination for Supporting Actor
; Rockwell fine - in fact IMO probably should have been up for Best Actor - but Woody??
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 22:16   #19
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Legally or illegally

On a separate note ... having seen it, I don't get Harrelson's nomination for Supporting Actor
; Rockwell fine - in fact IMO probably should have been up for Best Actor - but Woody??
The thought had crossed my mind......
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 00:53   #20
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
People don't really have a clue want they want from the Oscars. People moan that popular mainstream films are ignored and then when something like Get Out is nominated they complain that it doesn't feel worthy enough. Also there are complaints that it's always the same old faces and then when they nominate a far more diverse bunch, people start screaming political correctness. Make your ******* minds up.

Personally, I have no problem with Get Out being there. I thought it was great. Well written, well directed and great performances and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly no less deserving than any of the others nominated. It's not in my top five films of last year perhaps but I would rather something like that being nominated that some awards bait biopic.

Also yes not enough nominations for Logan.
I'm not sure why you're moaning about this here when absolutely nobody in this thread is actually complaining about Get Out or its nomination for Best Picture? Unless you seriously intend to suggest that just because I am completely baffled by the nomination of the lead performance I am somehow dissing the film and its nominations in other categories?

Look, horror films emerge every year and are popular with audiences, but why is it Get Out that is being singled out here for its lead role? Was there truly anything noteworthy about the way it was performed? It had an excellent cast who all nailed their performances, but somehow Kaluuya's the one that stood out? Again horror/pyschothillers come out every year with strong performances, so what was so special about the performances in Get Out over something like IT? Answer: Nothing, because this stinks of a "let's all pat ourselves on the back for nominating that black fella in that film that's popular with those black kids on twitter" nomination by the ultra-white, completely out of touch Academy. Imo this is insulting, It's insulting to the kid being nominated, insulting to the fans who really want the film to be recognised on its merits, and it's insulting to the performers who all put in more memorable performances this year (of which I could probably list 10 right off the cuff. As much as I hated Good Times I can't deny that Robert Pattinson is phenomenal in it!).

To put it more in perspective, in your post you complain about Logan not getting nominated, well part of the reason for that is because of BS nominations for performances that don't deserve them. Octavia Spencer being nominated for being Octavia Spencer, Woody Harrelson being nominated because, like, that film had a star studded cast and great ACTING so we have to nominate everyone involved (and good as Harrelson is in three billboards, there have been some great supporting parts this year that meant far more to the films in question - like Patrick Stewart in Logan).

I suppose I should just be grateful they didn't nominate James Franco for his pantomime performance as Tommy Wisseau, a guy so absurd and larger-than-life that pretty much any actor with basic training should be able to knock out a passable impression. Which leads me to another BS nomination: The Disaster Artist for best adapted screenplay? Are they deliberately taking the **** with that one? It's a film based on a book on the making of a film that completely fails to tell the story that the book told and instead offers a deeply clichéd comedy about friends seeking fame before jealousy tears them apart, which has absolutely nothing really to say beyond recreating scenes from the original whilst pointing out the bloody obvious ways in which said scenes were unintentionally funny! It's like being stuck in a lift with Seth Rogan for 90mins while he explains every single joke in Pineapple Express!

Last edited by Shingster; 25-01-2018 at 00:58.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote