Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 14:09   #41
basegreen
neergesab

and apparently they often just schedule a repeat of the same show in that slot
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 13:40   #42
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Anyone still watching The Flash? The current 'Barry is accused of murder' storyline is irritating beyond words. He has the worst legal team in history. As far as I can tell, his defense comprised of "He's a good bloke, don't put him in prison. Pleeeeeeeease"

A. How about an autopsy on his 'victim'? That would show he wasn't killed by a cake knife, but by his degenerative disease.

& B. Speaking of which, how about asking how a man who can't even stand managed to get himself up to Barry's penthouse apartment without his wheelchair?

I get it's a silly superhero show, but have some sense of logic FFS!
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 14:12   #43
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Yeah, that was a proper awful episode of The Flash last week. The "Trial" was embarrassing especially the so-called "Defence". They were so inept, I was convinced that it was deliberate ploy to get Barry sent to prison to spy on the shifty Prison Governor....?!?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 15:39   #44
Boink!
In the Good Place

Thanked 3,189 Times in 1,062 Posts
It was terrible writing, like from someone who has never met a lawyer before.

Luckily I'm still working my way through The Punisher and the pilot of Black Lightning was pretty good...

... and Agents of SHIELD is still superb.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 16:19   #45
TonyG

Yeah, still puzzles me why SHIELD never gets decent ratings when it is comfortably one of the most consistently entertaining US network shows out there?!?

Still plodding my way through The Punisher (watched first nine) which is solid but oh soooo slow & every episode could easily be edited down to tighter 40min episodes with nothing important lost...

Also glad to see the return of The Magicians. Still great fun as always with clever dialogue & the fittest female cast currently on TV...
Old 24-01-2018, 18:02   #46
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boink! View Post
Black Lightning was pretty good...

I saw the trailer on the Netflix home page this morning. Far be it for me to judge something I know nothing about but at first I thought it was a bit of a ******** at the superhero genre as it looks sooooo bad. Cheesy effects, woeful action and choreography and a superhero that tries to sound like Batman but whilst chewing glass.

I'm assuming this has nothing to do with Netflix's Marvel output? It looked like primetime Channel 5 fodder.
Old 26-01-2018, 09:30   #47
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by john white View Post
So Vikings is at the middle of its fifth season. I've thought it was incredible at times but the move on from King Ragnar to his sons has been very testing. They have sidelined the best character to a quarry as he supposedly hunts for the gods in America, promoted one of the weakest to lead enemy and decided to get very non-viking by banging on about King Alfred. The best emerging character has been Ivar the boneless but he has been saddled with two dull brothers and Jonathan Rhys Meyers trying to be enigmatic and noble. Frankly it's getting a bit pointless and needs to narrow its focus back to (1) someone interesting and (2) vikings....
Sadly, I have to agree with all of this. This used to be high on my watch-list but now it's near the bottom. Since moving to the 2 x 10 episode format, it doesn't feel as focused & tight as before & is moving further away from actual "Viking" events. Lagertha's current attitude mirrors the show's status, when recently she talked of "returning to simpler times & going back to farming".

Also regarding Floki's current adventures,
Old 26-01-2018, 11:30   #48
aprout
worn to perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
I saw the trailer on the Netflix home page this morning. Far be it for me to judge something I know nothing about but at first I thought it was a bit of a ******** at the superhero genre as it looks sooooo bad. Cheesy effects, woeful action and choreography and a superhero that tries to sound like Batman but whilst chewing glass.

I'm assuming this has nothing to do with Netflix's Marvel output? It looked like primetime Channel 5 fodder.
It's nothing to do with Netfllix at all, they've just decided to put it out over here. It's made & broadcast by The CW in the US. As mentioned in the New Shows thread, the first episode was absolutely dire & even as a fan of DC & most of their TV output I have no wish to watch any more.
Old 26-01-2018, 11:50   #49
TonyG

The other major niggle with Vikings is how fast 'n loose they are with the flow of time during the show. Taking last week's episode as an example, the boat trip to Paris & back seemed to take place within a day or two?!?
Old 29-01-2018, 15:14   #50
douglasb
Suedehead.

It obviously had a smaller budget this time - it seemed very centred around the same few outdoor sets - but it's career defining stuff from Sean Bean I reckon. I know he's pretty much just doing the one thing here, but as the portrayal of a man with the weight of the world utterly on his shoulders, he knocks it out the park.

Extra points this time for one or two genuine shocks plus an - unexpected to me anyway - supernatural reveal.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23   #51
BigH
Trusted User

Channel Zero started again this week - pretty damn scary!
Old 11-02-2018, 20:08   #52
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

I just caught up and watched the season finale of The Good Place season 2. The show has improved immeasurably compared to season 1 (much like Parks & Rec did).
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 17:28   #53
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thinking of dropping flash, arrow and legends if they don't improve (UK Pace btw) I don't care for any of the storylines before the mid season break, hoping they pick up.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 17:42   #54
aprout
worn to perfection

Legends returned with one of the worst episodes they've ever done (the Constantine one. & yep, I know that's saying something), but the Groundhog Day & pirates episodes that followed were great fun.

The Flash is still entertaining enough, especially now that
but I find myself mainly watching it to see just how much tighter they can make Iris's clothes...
Old 04-03-2018, 18:05   #55
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,108 Times in 787 Posts
Quite enjoying Young Sheldon, 2 epsiodes in, some laugh out loud moments in the second episode. Not sure it has legs, being weird in high school has been done several times before, but it seems pretty good
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 23:14   #56
Wooglie
Rurouni

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Legends returned with one of the worst episodes they've ever done (the Constantine one. & yep, I know that's saying something), but the Groundhog Day & pirates episodes that followed were great fun.
I agree with this, but the last scene of the pirates one made me so mad.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:37   #57
Boink!
In the Good Place

Thanked 3,189 Times in 1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
I just caught up and watched the season finale of The Good Place season 2. The show has improved immeasurably compared to season 1 (much like Parks & Rec did).
Loving this show, everyone's great in it (even Derek). Looking forward to season 3 in September.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 13:17   #58
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post

The Flash is still entertaining enough, especially now that
but I find myself mainly watching it to see just how much tighter they can make Iris's clothes...
I don't watch Legends, saw the pilot thought it was a cliche idea done ok (latest version of this idea I tried yesterday on netflix: The Ministry of Time, liked this one as its spanish history (subtitled series) that they are travelling into each week, and as I don't know much about spanish culture, is making it feel fresh)

I'm a Constantine fan so I picked up Legends again with the Beebo episode, which I thought was superb, great idea and great fun. Then the Constantine ep, someone posted on here recently that giving all of the characters in an ensemble something to do each ep ruins episodes and that's what happened here. The possessed girl was quite well done, but any atmosphere was ruined by continually cutting to a pointless segue of one of the team watching telly. I agree it was not a good ep, it was confused and confusing, yet could have been great if they had the balls to stick with the horror for the whole ep.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 13:29   #59
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

I watched them all for the crossover and probably only will watch super girl again. But the cross overs are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 19:30   #60
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

I seriously think Arrow has lost the plot lately, where does this guy find time to sleep. He has a kid to look after, spends the day being mayor then at night forcing sharp pointing things into bad people.

At least Bruce Wayne just lives of his inheritance has no kids so he can knock the stuffing out of bad guys at night.

So Arrow out and Legends too which is a shame as season 2 was quite good, but without a decent season long bad guy and the wet dishcloth that is Rip Hunter and not to mention the will they or won't they get together/stay together of mr metal and animal woman is just as bad as the hawkman/hawkgirl crap of season one

Supergirl never got into it really. Earth-38 needs to be renamed as the Earth where the men have no balls.

Will stick with the Flash for the time being
Spaceranger2001 is online now   Reply With Quote