Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 19-10-2017, 20:49   #121
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

As for the plot itself (speculation, not a spoiler)

Just thought of something regarding the above

Last edited by joconnor; 19-10-2017 at 20:52.
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 21:07   #122
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor View Post
As for the plot itself (speculation, not a spoiler)

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 20-10-2017 at 09:41.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 07:00   #123
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Interesting cameo from
in the sense that isn't he due to meet Kirk soon in the current timeline?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:40   #124
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Interesting cameo from
in the sense that isn't he due to meet Kirk soon in the current timeline?
This is about 10 years before that.
Old 20-10-2017, 10:57   #125
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
This is about 10 years before that.
Ah, I thought I read earlier that Spock has already joined Pike on the Enterprise at this point; and Pike was listed on the screen under past captains.

How long, according to canon, was there between Pike and Kirk ?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 13:17   #126
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Yeah, Pike and 'The Cage' was set 10 years before Captain Kirk took over. We're currently in 2256, TOS begins in 2265.
Old 20-10-2017, 13:48   #127
statto
Jedi Master

I'm enjoying the show but was disappointed by the swearing. It added nothing to the story and will limit its audience. Plus it doesn't fit in with the canon at all (Star Trek IV), where Kirk is naff at swearing and has to explain the concept of it to Spock.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 14:25   #128
Taq
Evil Scientist

It took 88 years for Data to remember that swearing existed
Old 20-10-2017, 14:31   #129
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

A shame that Bryan Fuller isn't still on the show as we'd have been guaranteed naked human/alien interspecies sex at some point...
TonyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 21:31   #130
dvds2000
Trusted User

http://tvline.com/2017/10/23/star-tr...bs-all-access/

renewed for season 2
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:31   #131
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

This weeks episode was fairly enjoyable. 6/10.

Loving the dark side of the captain - best part of the show.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 11:05   #132
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Loving the dark side of the captain - best part of the show.
Indeed. I was quite convinced he was going to murder the Admiral at the end...

Can we assume that the formerly grumpy (& now quite spacey) science officer is still plugging himself into the machine for the spore drive thing to work? They jumped again this week & made no mention of how.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 14:53   #133
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

I guess he is - his mention of 'getting used to the needles' could be the confirmation. I'm surprised no further advancement on the mirror image thing. They don't seem to be in any hurry, the writers.

Also, the tribble's gone.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 16:03   #134
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,108 Times in 787 Posts

Last edited by jockosjungle; 24-10-2017 at 17:47.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 16:12   #135
orac
information is restricted

Brilliant - Clem Fandango is in it now! haha

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 16:59   #136
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I'm an episode behind also, can't really get used to the week in advance via download. It seems odd, literally this would be one of very few shows I might watch live and as such be subjected to five minutes of adverts a week for six weeks.
What?
Old 24-10-2017, 17:06   #137
Rob
Indie Author

Maybe that should have been in the Red Dwarf thread.

Enjoyed this week's Star Trek. I like the idea of "Logical Fundamentalists".
Old 24-10-2017, 17:47   #138
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,108 Times in 787 Posts
Yep, sorry
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 17:53   #139
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Episode 6:

Maybe I felt a bit let down by this one just due to how much I enjoyed last weeks, or maybe because it didn't follow up on that awesome moment of Stamets in the mirror that ended the previous one. Either way, I didn't get quite as much into this one.

But it's a shame, because there are many parts of this episode that worked by themselves, it just failed to grab me when they were all put together. I think it's clear that a real strength of the show is how unpredictable it all continues to be. The focus is taken away somewhat from Burnham and we get to spend half the episode with Captain Lorca, who continues to become more and more complicated. He's also becoming more and more sympathetic. There's a moment of what appears to be genuine fear when he realises the admiral will take away his command, and despite her apparent disbelief on whether or not he's being real it definitely came across that way to me.

It's a shame that the plot went in the direction of them sleeping together which felt a bit tired, but it did allow for that scene to play out nicely in the aftermath. At any rate, the ending with the Klingon double-cross made her look very naive.

Michael's story was quite interesting, too, if maybe a bit sloppy. It's a common misconception that Vulcans are an emotionless species, as various Trek shows and films have shown us time and time again that they are fiercely violent, racist and have a superiority complex. The emotions are merely suppressed and (hopefully) not acted upon, but they're all there. The relationship between Michael and Sarek is pretty fascinating while somehow feeling a little bit ridiculous. Anyway, it was great to get some more insight into the failings that Sarek felt around this time, especially in regards to Spock.

I also loved Amanda Grayson as portrayed by Mia Kirshnir, who bears an amazing resemblance to original actress Jane Wyatt. A little part of me feels it's a shame that Winona Ryder didn't come back, but I guess that was never going to happen.

The newly arrived Lt. Ash Tyler is a weird one. I think it's clear that the story is going somewhere with him (and if you explore online discussions be careful, because it's also clear that a lot of people have worked this out already), but at this point he doesn't really seem to fit. He's too good at everything and has integrated himself too readily, taking the forefront a bit too often. The guy has just spent 7 months in a Klingon prison (allegedly) so I'd think he'd need some serious rehabilitation.

Other random observations: I love that Stamets appears to have become in a constant state of agreeable bliss since using the spore drive (REALLY need to get back into this story line) and Tilly again just makes me smile.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 24-10-2017 at 18:01.
Old 30-10-2017, 15:48   #140
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Episode 7:

Oh, my stars, a beautiful time loop episode! I just can never get bored of these. Now, this is classic Star Trek! Despite a few problems, this is a delight to watch from start to finish and is Discovery's first foray into the tried-and-tested 'bottle show'. These episodes often end up being my favourites, we are given a situation and really get to dive into it. They often reveal a lot about our characters and usually have fun doing it. Great examples of this include 'Civil Defense' (DS9), 'Disaster' (TNG), 'Explorers' (DS9) and of course the other classic Trek time-loop show, 'Cause and Effect' (TNG).

If I had any doubts about Rainn Wilson's portrayal of Harry Mudd, this episode easily washed them away. He's a lot of fun and full of energy, as well as managing to come off as a fairly complex person. It was interesting the way he was quite cruel to the crew of the Discovery, and then shrivels up at the sight of Stella and her father. I think there was a missed opportunity to make her a bit more like the shrew seen in The Original Series, but it's important to remember that what we saw there was Mudd's own vision of her rather than the actual person. The various deaths were quite mean spirited, despite being somewhat offset due to the fact that they weren't permanent A couple were also pretty funny, although I never quite got the impression that those little purple balls caused an "agonising" death.

Mostly, I think I enjoyed that this episode showed us the characters in more relaxed and natural states. Captain Lorca's apathy at finding a space whale is quite funny and even endearing, as he tells his crew to just get on with it (loved that he's finally sitting in the chair, too). Tilly continues to just delight me, and drunk Tilly is even better. It seems to me that she's hiding a lot of confidence under a socially awkward front. Stamets possibly emerged as the best part for me, this new happy version of him is charming and fun to spend time with (again, PLEASE let us get back to that mirror image thing from a couple of episodes ago).

The Burnham/Tyler pairing is maybe not my favourite thing. I don't feel a huge amount of chemistry between them, but then again Michael's standoffish nature means that she doesn't really have chemistry with anybody. I think it's more down to me not really clicking with the character of Tyler, as I talked about in my review for the previous episode. He feels like he's fit in too easily and his personality is a bare minimum.

Where the episode could have done a slightly better job is with the various time loop escapades. The movement through them became a bit too quick, and we are supposed to understand that Stamets explains things to Burnham who explains things to Tyler who explains things to Lorca, etc. every time, and everyone just accepts what they're being told and gets to action? That took me out of things a bit, and I would have been perfectly happy to have longer scenes that established things better.

Overall though, damn this was fantastic. The use of the introductory log and mostly self-contained nature of the episode made this feel so much like it was a part of the franchise I love. Mostly, though, it let us get a grip on these new characters and let them just get on with things as opposed to being dragged along by plot mechanics.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 31-10-2017 at 09:40.