Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 09:04   #81
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Yes, much improved ep.3 over the double-opener. I like the darker tone & glad they're trying something different. We have The Orville to provide traditional Trek fare...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56   #82
Boink!
In the Good Place

Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,060 Posts
Haaa, I watched episode 2 thinking it was the pilot. Was wondering why they jumped straight into a space battle with no preamble. Oh well.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 13:57   #83
Ricinus
Trusted User

well I've watched ep3. I'm not sure what it was but it wasn't Star Trek. Why do they all have to be completely unlikeable people. I hope they go the same way as the sister ship!

I had to watch an episode of Voyager to detox. That didn't work and it was one of those 'light-hearted' ones which was too far the other way.

So I watched the Orville (minus Keith Harris) which was great apart from the divorce stuff which is already really tedious.
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 18:52   #84
Masanevre
Welcome

I liked episode 1 & 2 . Found 3 a bit corny with her
. I didn't like the way the Captain or Science engineer man came across anything but endearing. I also find the set of the ship cold and uninviting.

Last edited by Masanevre; 04-10-2017 at 18:55.
Masanevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 23:03   #85
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanevre View Post
I liked episode 1 & 2 . Found 3 a bit corny with her
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58   #86
Masanevre
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post
Yeah fair comment. I just found it corny.
Masanevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:42   #87
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Episode 4:

Another episode full of unexpected twists and revelations. After being introduced last week to the Tardigrade ("Ripper") as a rampaging monster that will slice you up, I found myself quite delighted to discover that it's actually a cuddly creature who seems to be depressed. Michael figuring this out has warmed to to her a lot more, and I really like her being in science mode rather than "I'm-going-to-act-rashly-because-I'm-clever" mode. It's also our first hint that she does has some empathy once she sees how the Tardigrade is hurting.

I think it's time to address the characters on this show. There's a lot of talk in various forums about how they are not true to the spirit of what Star Trek has shown us before. That's just not true. People seem to be forgetting that it wasn't really until The Next Generation that Roddenberry imposed his rules about humans having overcome petty feelings like jealousy and animosity, with no conflict allowed between Starfleet crew members. And then people also seem to forget that the rule was disregarded more times than I can count, with all of the writers (correctly) pushing against it as much as they could. It was a noble concept but a terrible one for telling stories.

Lt. Stamets does seem to be overly critical and confrontational, but I find myself enjoying seeing a human being acting like a human being rather than some sanitised idea of what one should be. And this is certainly not a new concept within Trek if you remember any number of human scientists who appeared on the various shows before. Off the top of my head, in TNG Dr. Leah Brahms was a stone cold bitch to Geordi when she discovered how he was modifying her engine designs. If we go closer to the era of Discovery, then we have Dr. Richard Daystrom from TOS who was was crippled by feelings of resentment and endangered people's lives.

A bit more troublesome is (was) security chief Landry. She seemed to be downright hostile and condescending. Again, we have seen examples of other security officers acting this way across TNG, DS9, etc. I was finding her a bit much to handle, though (and I had a similar issue with Rekha Sharma's performance on Battlestar Galactica), and I can't say I'm sorry to see her go.

The return of the Klingons to the main story had me a bit worried, as they were by far the worst thing about the opening episodes. I'm glad to say I was more impressed with them here, despite many of the fundamental issues still hovering in the background. I was immediately intrigued by the relationship between Voq and L'Rell which came through even though the makeup barely allows the actors to emote. I wish we had gotten a better look at the Birds of Prey, though, they were little more than blurry shapes.

If this episode revealed anything, it seems that Captain Lorca and Michael are going to end up severely add odds. Michael could see that the Tardigrade was in distress and is clearly not comfortable with it - but there's no way that Lorca is going to take that as any kind of consideration. Someone like Captain Picard would certainly not allow one creature's suffering at the expense of other's safety to continue, but Lorca is very different. Stamet's summary of him last episode as a "warmonger" is beginning to fit.

Also, finally we see why there's a gap in the ship's saucer and I LOVE it!

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 10-10-2017 at 08:03.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 14:32   #88
redmosquito
Trusted User

So It's early I know but I think I'm done, I've seen enough to know I don't think I'll ever be able to get into this as a Trek show.

Every character is either an idiot, annoying or just totally unlikable, normally a combination of all three.
redmosquito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 15:35   #89
GAmbrose
Trusted User

I'm enjoying it (not seen Episode 4 yet)

It's funny how people's attention spans are now though, Has everyone forgotten that most of the entire first two seasons of TNG are pretty awful?
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 16:02   #90
redmosquito
Trusted User

Well DS9 was ropey as well for a couple seasons but it at least had likable, interesting characters and despite exploring some darker, deeper themes it still felt true to Star Trek.

This show belongs in the Abrams universe and that was always my problem with the new films, they might be good films, but the're not good Star Trek films. As a Battlestar/Mass Effect hybrid I'm sure it's fine, as a Star Trek show it ticks none of the boxes I would want it to but each to their own, if people enjoy it that's great.
Old 09-10-2017, 16:22   #91
GAmbrose
Trusted User

I mean, I respect your opinion.

But it is Star Trek if they turn out to be an early version of
, which has already been hinted at.

We've already had 700+ episodes (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise) showing the Federation at their 'best'. I'm intrigued by the darker side.
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 16:24   #92
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

I'm a firm believer in giving new shows a chance but these days there's just far too much quality genre tv to watch anyway.

I struggle to keep up with all the shows I want to watch and I'm quite often behind by entire seasons!

Back in the 90s we were far more forgiving given that Trek was the best of what very very little genre tv there was.

Having said that I'm enjoying it so far.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 17:26   #93
redmosquito
Trusted User

I'm glad people enjoy it but for me the darker side isn't something I want to experience with Star Trek, at least not every week. Even the shows which are a bit darker in tone (DS9) still have that feel of a future world you would want to live in.

I also have always found Klingon centric episodes to be some of the most boring through out all the shows, so having an even more boring version of the Klingon's as the main antagonists on the show is like torture.

Maybe I'll give it the first season, it's only 13 episodes right.
Old 09-10-2017, 23:24   #94
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmosquito View Post
I also have always found Klingon centric episodes to be some of the most boring through out all the shows, so having an even more boring version of the Klingon's as the main antagonists on the show is like torture.
But, but...... Klingon flirting
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:58   #95
avid fan
Trusted User

I thought Ep4 was decent enough; I'm one who's keen for more Klingons to feature (at least in conflict), but the long Klingon discussions are a strain...it's a challenge watching people talk through mouthfuls of saliva.
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:47   #96
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Ep.4 was enjoyable again, especially all the Discovery scenes but the Klingon scenes continue to be a pain to watch. I also love the psychedelic spore warp effects but not so keen on the new Bird of Prey ship designs...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 22:13   #97
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
I thought Ep4 was decent enough; I'm one who's keen for more Klingons to feature (at least in conflict), but the long Klingon discussions are a strain...it's a challenge watching people talk through mouthfuls of saliva.
Plus the fact that you can't help but think of Kryten talking to the locals (in the Emohawk episode?) eveytime that particularly annoying Klingon starts talking.
The look of the show is excellent, and it may improve, but the characters and stories need a lot of work.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:21   #98
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Klingons 'talking' to each other is bad enough, now we have to watch them make goo-goo eyes at each other as well? No no no no no...

Everything else was pretty good though.
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 21:43   #99
Soprano
Walking the line

I like it to my own surprise. I havent liked any Trek outside the OG crew.

A fair few characters are annoying, but they may develop.

CGI and sets are really good. First time since Trek 2009 you get the impression the ship is actually big I love the big screen on the bridge
Old 15-10-2017, 09:31   #100
eye__writ
Trusted User

I'm finding enough to enjoy about it, so I'll continue, but I don't think it's in any way "good".