Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 24-02-2017, 13:57   #21
stephen
Trusted User

The pleasure for me is in watching the film. I've got no interest in discs any more. They clutter my house up, can get left lying around and aren't playable on all tvs (we just have cheap DVD/TV combis upstairs. On the other hand with fire TV sticks I can watch anything I want on any TV at the touch of a button, and if I'm going out I can download the things I've bought to the iPad.

I don't have a 4K TV at the moment as there are more pressing needs for my money, but when my current TV dies I'll be going 4K.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 18:41   #22
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Really? This did used to be The DVD Forums, right?

The same reason I buy vinyl and CDs and big box PC games.

It's about the sense of actually owning something and the memories associated of how I got it, having packaging with (hopefully) nice artwork, being able to display it and actually remember that it's something that I bought as opposed to forgetting I have a meaningless digital file somewhere, the bonus features and language/subtitle options and of course far superior picture/audio quality.

I'm a geek, it's what we do, and films are art.
Films are art. Packaging and distribution media are incidental. To suggest that a movie becomes meaningless when stored on a hard drive is, frankly, bizarre.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 18:59   #23
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Try watching a 4k HDR disc and you will notice a difference.
I'll have to take your word for it, as untill my BD player needs replacing and 4k discs drop in price ie. can be picked up for a fiver a couple of months after release like BD can, then I won't be trying it.
Old 24-02-2017, 23:50   #24
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
Films are art. Packaging and distribution media are incidental. To suggest that a movie becomes meaningless when stored on a hard drive is, frankly, bizarre.
So you're just going to ignore the bits about the picture and sound quality being better on disc? Pretty sure that's important to the "films as art" argument and equally doubt that you're enjoying bluray quality digital files on your device.
Old 25-02-2017, 00:13   #25
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,499 Times in 470 Posts
The disc is just a container for a digital file. The quality of said file is always good because they use the capacity of the disc. You can get just as good a file sitting on your hard drive if you have the time and the space, and the inclination. With menus too.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 01:10   #26
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Well you can't rip 4k discs.

Yet.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 06:40   #27
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,169 Times in 827 Posts
Isn't that always the case though, when DVD came out 6gb was a massive amount of storage and ripping the collection would be very expensive. Costs come down, and the level of storage required becomes cheap and makes it more reasonable compared to disks.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:14   #28
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,499 Times in 470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevlock View Post
Well you can't rip 4k discs.

Yet.
Can't you? I've seen 60gb files out there which are supposedly 4k rips.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 17:13   #29
alsemail
Bibble....

They're not ripped they're screen captured using a specific card, so I'm not sure if they have HDR or not.

You can't even buy a UHD drive for a PC yet.

I think Pioneer are releasing one soon.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 17:23   #30
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Yeah they're encodes using capture cards. Some have the HDR data, it's possible to grab it.

But many are just fake upscales or not encoded well at all.

I personally rip all my legally bought discs to a large snapraid server and store the discs away in a cupboard.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 17:30   #31
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
So you're just going to ignore the bits about the picture and sound quality being better on disc? Pretty sure that's important to the "films as art" argument and equally doubt that you're enjoying bluray quality digital files on your device.
He's claiming movies are 'meaningless' unless watched from a hard copy source. I wish I'd known that growing up as it'd have saved me countless hours of pointless viewing of meaningless tripe on tv. It makes me weep to think of the meaningful movies I could have watched on Betamax instead of haemorraging away my life on meaningless crap like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Duck Soup and It's A Wonderful Life.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 20:51   #32
CrazyAl
Trusted User

Quality-wise you can't compare streaming to 4K discs. The bit-rate and compression difference is like night and day. I think Netflix runs at about 16-18 Mbit/s whereas a BR 4K disc pumps out anywhere betwen 80-128Mbit/s depending on it's capacity.

Put a 4K BR HDR film on a 4K HDR TV and the difference is superb.

I suppose it all comes down to how much of a film nut you are and how far you are prepared to go.

If you are happy with a Polaroid 42" and a standard blu-ray player, good for you.

I'm not.
Old 26-02-2017, 07:06   #33
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAl View Post
Quality-wise you can't compare streaming to 4K discs. The bit-rate and compression difference is like night and day. I think Netflix runs at about 16-18 Mbit/s whereas a BR 4K disc pumps out anywhere betwen 80-128Mbit/s depending on it's capacity.

Put a 4K BR HDR film on a 4K HDR TV and the difference is superb.

I suppose it all comes down to how much of a film nut you are and how far you are prepared to go.

If you are happy with a Polaroid 42" and a standard blu-ray player, good for you.

I'm not.

I agree and what I was trying to say earlier, there is a lot of amazing content on streaming services but for a 'solid' picture physical media is still the best in my opinion, along with the proper soundtrack formats too.

The best streaming content I have seen is definitely the Grand Tour, where the 4K and HDR compliment each other brilliantly and the picture quality is stunning. But not many are up to this standard (yet) and you do need a pretty solid and high speed internet connection for it to stay at optimal quality all the way through.

However I also acknowledge that if you are ripping to a network drive from a disc the quality will also be fine, but 4K HDR content needs an HDCP 2.2 connection across the whole chain, a standard that hasn't (yet) been hacked. So in theory for UHD it is buying the discs or nothing.
Old 26-02-2017, 09:06   #34
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
He's claiming movies are 'meaningless' unless watched from a hard copy source. I wish I'd known that growing up as it'd have saved me countless hours of pointless viewing of meaningless tripe on tv. It makes me weep to think of the meaningful movies I could have watched on Betamax instead of haemorraging away my life on meaningless crap like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Duck Soup and It's A Wonderful Life.
LHG didn't actually say that movies themselves are meaningless, he said "streaming takes all the joy and meaning out of the experience". For him a collection of films stored on a hard disk or streamed has no meaning from a collectors point of view. Simply a lot of people don't get the same satisfaction from owning a digital copy compared to a physical one.
Old 27-02-2017, 09:07   #35
r.vernon1
You'll Never Walk Alone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Try watching a 4k HDR disc and you will notice a difference.
I tend to notice the difference more when I go back to watching HD after watching something in 4k.

The football for example on Sky Q. Try going between the UHD and HD versions, it's like going between HD and SD I find.
r.vernon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 20:47   #36
magneticman
Trusted User

i finally got a ub700 in preparation for planet earth 2, but in the meanwhile i demo'd the only blu ray i have (possession) and it looked absolutely brilliant.

turns out it's great at upscaling too and now i've been buying and watching standard blurays
magneticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 23:06   #37
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Not interested in 4K or streaming. If blu ray is stopped tomorrow with no more releases, I will be not watching films until they appear on TV. I hardly buy blu ray as it is with only 4 in nearly a year.

Last edited by nwgarratt; 12-03-2017 at 23:11.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 09:45   #38
allan
Trusted User

I will carry on buying bluray but can't see myself ever bothering with 4k, especially knowing that most catalogue releases released since the 90s onwards are unlikely to ever be true 4k transfers.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:32   #39
drush9999
Trusted User

Anything shot on 35mm will still look better in 4K, in fact up to 8K will result in better images.
Early digital films shot in 2K or worse on the other hand will not look any better. Digitally shot films at the moment are still being made using 2K intermediary formats...

Last edited by drush9999; 14-03-2017 at 13:33.
drush9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:37   #40
allan
Trusted User

Remember though that a lot of films shot in 35mm would've immediately gone through the DI process which would've been done at 2k. Add to that any vfx would almost certainly be 2k as well.

It can be rescanned in 4k but would potentially need colour correction done again.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote