Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 23-02-2017, 07:31   #1
Masanevre
Welcome

Question 4K Format will you being investing in a player and discs?

Welcome

Does anyone have any intention of investing in a 4K player and buying the discs. Or are you done with buying the discs and happy to stream instead now?
I did buy a lot of DVDs and Blu Rays I wish at the time I had just watched them and sold them on soon after having done some. I feel with 4K its going to be hard to buy a discs and sell them on at the moment, given that it's in its early days, but maybe also people will be content to stream instead.

Tofu

Mas
Masanevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 07:41   #2
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,108 Times in 787 Posts
None whatsoever.

I got myself a Futurama boxset the other week and started watching it, I really find I can't be faffed swapping disks anymore, I have Now TV, Amazon and Netflix and probably pay about £15 a month. That satisfies all my viewing needs.

As for 4k, I don't have a TV, might get one next time I'm due an upgrade but streaming seems to be the future except for hardcore enthusiasts.

Physical formats are dead as a mainstream, as such I really don't see you'll be getting the releases. They seem to be whingeing about the costs of conversion for Star Trek to BD, can't see them ever making the effort for 4k.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 07:59   #3
alsemail
Bibble....

I'm not interested in purchasing 4K until I can (if ever) rip it and stream it from a NAS.

I do have a 4K TV and streaming seems pretty good on Amazon and Netflix but the audio is very poor compared to bluray.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:28   #4
allan
Trusted User

I'll still be buying BDs for their superior quality to online streaming but I still just get the disc and immediately rip it to my server 1:1.

I doubt I'll ever get 4k though unless forced into it (can you even still get 1080p TVs now?). As a lot of films aren't even true 4k and merely upscales I have no interest and think that 1080p looks great on a 55" TV. Most films you see at the cinema aren't 4k either so it's ajust another fad in my opinion.

Film studios need a constant revenue stream so they constantly need new formats to make people rebuy everything again but I think once we got to BD it was always going to be hard to get people to buy another format that isn't really much improvement over the large.

DVD sales still outdo BD as far as I'm aware so the amount of 4k discs sold will be even smaller. Remember that 99% of people don't care, don't have a big TV or just pay for streaming stuff and have no idea what bitrate or resolution or lossless etc. even mean.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:30   #5
neilalford
I angered a crow

I'm certainly tempted, I've ripped my DVD collection (and TV Blu-Rays) to a server for convenience (and so I can put the discs up in the loft to save space) but I still use Blu-Ray discs for films, where the disc swapping isn't an issue. Do use streaming services but there's always the issue that things disappear over time and may never return, at least with a disc I should always have a copy.

The biggest thing holding me back at the moment is cost, I use a projector rather than a TV, and 4K projectors still seem to be £5,000+, plus would likely need a new 4K compatible amp etc. I have a 4K monitor and it definitely looks far better than my standard 1080p monitor.
neilalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 12:50   #6
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

I will forever be for physical media, streaming takes all the joy and meaning out of the experience for me. However, currently 4k is well out of my price range given that I'd need a new TV, player and then start replacing all my blu-rays.

Eventually, I'll get there.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 12:55   #7
Wooglie
Rurouni

I'd be interested in upgrading, but as others have said I'd need a new TV, Amp and player.
I'm still buying Blu-rays as I haven't found a streaming solution that handles surround sound as well. Unless I'm missing something most just do stereo.

Last edited by Wooglie; 23-02-2017 at 12:58.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:01   #8
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

When I can get a reasonably priced 4k PJ I will. Will also upgrade my receiver and speakers.

However given the size of my living room there isn't much point upgrading my tv . It's just too far away to see much of a difference.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 18:07   #9
aliman5000
Clown X

Funnily enough I have just made the upgrade, new TV which I got a free 4K player with and also had to upgrade my amp.

The resolution difference isn't as stark as I thought it would be, better, but not the advertised 'four times better' even on 4K master discs.

However the big difference is HDR, having a wider colour gamut is very noticeable and makes films look so different and a lot more natural.

I have brought a few 4K discs (at the moment you also get the 1080 disc too). But what I would say if the player upscaling is stunning, currently going through my blu-ray collection again.

I will continue to buy discs simply because streaming services just don't offer the same visual or audio quality - very very good but not quite the same.
Old 23-02-2017, 18:25   #10
aliman5000
Clown X

4K Format will you being investing in a player and discs?

Apologies, Tapatalk dupe.

Last edited by aliman5000; 23-02-2017 at 18:27.
aliman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 18:31   #11
DeadYankee

Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
I will forever be for physical media, streaming takes all the joy and meaning out of the experience for me. However, currently 4k is well out of my price range given that I'd need a new TV, player and then start replacing all my blu-rays.

Eventually, I'll get there.
What meaning is derived from the cheap, shiny disc?
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 18:49   #12
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,108 Times in 787 Posts
I always thought that 1080p was the pinnacle, anything more and we wouldn't be able to see any difference until we got HD eyes
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 18:50   #13
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I have Now TV, Amazon and Netflix and probably pay about £15 a month.
Me too, and their offerings are 95% crap. The selection of films on Netflix and Amazon (Prime) combined is pitiful. If it wasn't for the discs I carry on buying I'd have nothing decent to watch.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 19:20   #14
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I always thought that 1080p was the pinnacle, anything more and we wouldn't be able to see any difference until we got HD eyes

A lot of it is down to how close you are and how big the screen is, move closer to a 'perfect' 1080 image and you will quickly start seeing pixels.

Get a bigger screen and you see them further away. It's the same reason 1080 (used) to start at around 42" screens, flagship 4k screens start at around 55".
Old 23-02-2017, 20:40   #15
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

I had to upgrade the TV last summer so got a 4K one, and have Amazon Prime atm, and from the 4k stuff I've tried, I can't see much improvement over HD, so have no intention of of buying 4k discs especially as they're quite a bit more expensive than blu-rays (which i wait and buy in sales). Like others I rip my discs to a NAS drive, so 4k would need loads more space I'm guessing, and refuse to buy digital content while its as expensive as physical media as I think the savings should be passed on, plus I like the idea of having a back-up on disc should my NAS fails, and I don't trust digital copies to be available forever as it only needs a company to go bust, be taken over or change its system.
Old 23-02-2017, 21:29   #16
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyfan View Post
I can't see much improvement over HD, so have no intention of of buying 4k discs especially as they're quite a bit more expensive than blu-rays
Try watching a 4k HDR disc and you will notice a difference.
Old 24-02-2017, 03:54   #17
mk.ten
The Truth Is Out Where???

I have recently upgraded my home-cinema to 4K, and not looked back. The first thing I watched was The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime, and I have to say the 4K upgrade looks stunning!

I got a copy of The Martian with my 4K bluray player and watched that. Again, the difference is very noticeable and looks stunning.

I've pre-ordered the BBC's Planet Earth II on 4K BD and looking forward to seeing that as well.

The only thing I would say to anyone looking to upgrade to 4K is to do some research regarding 4K bluray discs. Most films released on 4K bluray at the moment weren't even shot in native 4K (Star Trek: Into Darkness being one of them), but have been simply upscaled.

But what I've seen so far from what I've watched...? Yeah, I'm pleased and it really is worth the upgrade.
mk.ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:41   #18
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,479 Times in 454 Posts
The difference between 4k and 1080 isn't that much really. Even on a huge TV. My mate has a 65 inch and whilst 4k undoubtedly looks good, the main difference is that it's an OLED HDR set. Now the difference with that is very noticeable, especially on 4k Bluray films. The super dark blacks and vivid colours just make the image pop out of the screen.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 12:01   #19
eye__writ
Trusted User

I'll end up with a 4K player by default when I get the Xbox Scorpio at Christmas but have no intention of getting a 4K telly to replace my plasma until OLED is affordable or the plasma dies.
Old 24-02-2017, 12:39   #20
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
What meaning is derived from the cheap, shiny disc?
Really? This did used to be The DVD Forums, right?

The same reason I buy vinyl and CDs and big box PC games.

It's about the sense of actually owning something and the memories associated of how I got it, having packaging with (hopefully) nice artwork, being able to display it and actually remember that it's something that I bought as opposed to forgetting I have a meaningless digital file somewhere, the bonus features and language/subtitle options and of course far superior picture/audio quality.

I'm a geek, it's what we do, and films are art.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote