Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 06-10-2016, 22:50   #41
son of thunder
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Conviction - Another courtroom-based vanilla procedural which you've seen a bazillion times before. Only the lovely Hayley Atwell rises above the averageness & is very watchable as ever, although her American accent was grating on me long before the end of the episode.

Immediately dumped from my Watchlist...

Next new show on the list is Frequency.
Just watched Frequency and its okay, its similar to Timeless a bit glossy and silly. I always get the feeling CW's intended audience is for teenage kids and this has that feel about it.
Still it was entertaining and as I mentioned before I'm a sucker for the old time travel stuff.

I quite enjoyed the movie at the time and this is similar in a way but slightly more fleshed out. The main character does seem too young to be a police detective and the makeup on the older characters is a bit rubbish.
Its probably not a show I would recommend, more of a family drama filler type show. Might see how it goes though as i like the concept.

Last edited by son of thunder; 06-10-2016 at 22:51.
son of thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:22   #42
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Frequency - Typical CW glossy fair but it was an enjoyable, decent adaption of the movie & I'm a sucker for time travel wibble-wobble so I'm on board for now. Main issue though is how they can drag the premise over potential multiple seasons?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:34   #43
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Love me some time travel too. I thought Frequency was surprisingly good. Big fan of the movie & was quite apprehensive about translating it to tv, but it worked very well. I did spend a while wondering if Mekhi Phifer was wearing prosthetics & a fat suit, but no, he just ate all the pies.

My only real caveat about it is that unlike the movie (which went from 1999 to 1969), 1996 isn't visually that different to 2016. Saves on the budget though I guess.

Timeless was OK, but felt a bit cheap at times. Not a fan of Paterson Joseph either so that also detracted from my enjoyment. Needs more Matt Frewer!

Also watched the first episode of Woody Allen's Crisis in Six Scenes which was patchy, but made me chuckle a few times. Still, I'd find Woody reading the phone book entertaining, so I'll give the rest a shot.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:25   #44
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quite enjoying Macgyver being back from the 80s. Fills the gap for mindless and dumb but fun action that Burn Notice left behind, plus that young girl in it is lovely..... in that Christina Aguilera Dirty type way

Last edited by Stevie G; 10-10-2016 at 17:27.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:14   #45
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Gave Macguyver three goes, but it's utterly dreadful. The girl's cute & I like Nick from CSI, but it's not enough to keep me watching this dreck. I just want to punch the lead guy whenever he's onscreen.

Mind you, the only memory I have of the original show is the one where they used the entire car chase from The Italian Job to fill half the episode...

Dropped Designated Survivor halfway though episode 3 too. Quite interested in the whodunnit aspect, but the rest of it irritates me.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:21   #46
TonyG

It's no West Wing/24 hybrid, but I'm still enjoying Designated Survivor & so far they've provided plenty of storylines to sink their teeth into. Only the floppy-haired son is making my eyes roll anytime he's on screen.

We even got a subdued, quiet "Dammit!" this week...
Old 11-10-2016, 12:17   #47
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Amazingly enough I'm quite enjoying Lethal Weapon. Made it to episode 3 and although it's completely by the numbers and the action scenes are just plain stupid they seem to have pretty much nailed the characters. The chemistry is spot on between the leads and they've got Murtaughs home life right as well. So it's on my easy watch list for the moment.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:29   #48
TonyG

Yeah, I've stuck with Lethal Weapon for now as the two leads are doing a decent job (although I still think the guy playing Riggs looks like Keith Lemon) & the dumb action is very old-school & I miss cheesy car chases that end with a car/truck flipping upside down...

On the plus side, to crowbar the new shows onto my watch-list, I've had a cull of the average US shows I should have dumped ages ago: Quantico, Elementary, How to get away with Murder, Secrets & Lies, From Dusk to Dawn & Scream Queens.... Good Gawd I watched some really crappy TV!
Old 11-10-2016, 13:19   #49
Matt_Bro14
Trusted User

Haha, yeah there really is no time for naff in this hyper busy TV era. I've had to drop some really solid shows that are just eating up my time now - namely Masters of Sex (made it to season four, that's something!) and the new show Quarry. Perfectly decent but I just cannae do it all captain!

Between all this new TV, rewatching old TV (doing an entire Red Dward rewatch), cinema trips, movies on my Netflix list, movies I own on Blu-Ray that still need doing and just general Youtube stuff, things like 'work' and 'sleep' are really starting to get in the way
Matt_Bro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 13:25   #50
CLH
La Bender

Lethal Weapon is the show that Hawaii Five O threatened to be then became not quite dumb enough to be enjoyed on a dumb level.

In short, I am loving it. Jordanna Brewster does have very thin lips though.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:00   #51
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Bro14 View Post
Haha, yeah there really is no time for naff in this hyper busy TV era. I've had to drop some really solid shows that are just eating up my time now - namely Masters of Sex (made it to season four, that's something!) and the new show Quarry. Perfectly decent but I just cannae do it all captain!
Yeah, it's a nightmare & I blame Netflix/Amazon for all the quality shows they now bring to the table. I'm way behind watching the likes of Luke Cage & Longmire & the upcoming Goliath looks tasty too.

I seriously considered dropping Masters of Sex but the quality of writing/acting remains high so I'm still on board. Same goes for Quarry. It's a lengthy, glacially-paced show, but again, the acting/writing & ultra-violence makes it all worthwhile...
Old 11-10-2016, 14:54   #52
cjay
Trusted User

I tried Insecure but had to turn it off after 10 mins or so. One of those odd HBO programs that seems like someone's pet project with not much appeal. Maybe I just don't get it. I don't know.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 22:29   #53
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Loving Timeless, I love time travel and this is delivering in spades and it also looks as though they have something planned instead of just making it up as they go along.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:44   #54
TonyG

Yeah, Timeless continues to be enjoyable but already in danger of being formulaic even after only two episodes.

Bad-guy arrives at specific event in history.
Good-guys arrive to stop him without changing history.
Coloured good-guy left alone to face specific racial issues to the time-period.
Hot lady historian knows exactly what will happen.
Hot lady historian bumps into bad-guy that tells her to stop annoying him as all that is happening is her DESTINY!
Good-guys stop bad-guy achieving his specific history-changing plans but historic event still goes ahead.
Good-guys return to present which has changed slightly for hot lady historian.

Rinse-repeat....

Still fun though!
Old 12-10-2016, 19:57   #55
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,072 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Yeah, it's a nightmare & I blame Netflix/Amazon for all the quality shows they now bring to the table. I'm way behind watching the likes of Luke Cage & Longmire & the upcoming Goliath looks tasty too.

I seriously considered dropping Masters of Sex but the quality of writing/acting remains high so I'm still on board. Same goes for Quarry. It's a lengthy, glacially-paced show, but again, the acting/writing & ultra-violence makes it all worthwhile...
At least you can assume their original stuff is going nowhere, so there isn't a massive rush to watch it all.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 17:40   #56
dunkle
Trusted User

11 minutes in to episode 4 of leathal weapon and definitely hoping it gets a second season
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 06:17   #57
BigH
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john white View Post
A big, big thumbs up for Channel Zero on Syfy - child psychologist returns home after a breakdown only to find children going missing in the same manner as his own twin did. Stars Paul Schneider from Parks & Rec, Fiona Shaw and Natalie Brown (The Strain) and it's a huge step up from Aftermath...
agreed - this was pretty good
Old 14-10-2016, 11:34   #58
hailesy
Anyone for Coffee?

I'm actually enjoying Designated Survivor, Episode 4 was pretty good.
hailesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 13:20   #59
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Watched Dave's new sitcom Zapped last night, and enjoyed it, found myself laughing out louad a couple of times, some good cast as well.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:04   #60
CLH
La Bender

It's Lethal Weapon that I'm watching in preference to anything else. So entertaining. That shower scene in Ep 4.

Last edited by CLH; 17-10-2016 at 08:29.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote