Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 28-09-2016, 11:29   #21
statto
Jedi Master

Dumped after one episode:
Notorious
Macgyver
Speechless
Easy

Underwhelmed:
Lethal Weapon
Designated Survivor
Pitch

OK:
The Good Place
Atlanta

Promising:
This is Us

Yet to watch:
Graves
Crunch Time
Falling Water
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:57   #22
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Aftermath - Another low-budget SyFy effort showing the End-of-Days through the eyes of a bland US family, with Anne Heche as the ex-military mother. Despite throwing hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, dead-fish, massive meteors, flying demons & possessed, crazed humans at them, they hardly bat an eye-lid at the carnage they endure which is the biggest problem of the show. The whole feel is just wrong for what is conveyed on screen. I actually thought it was going to be a comedy. It's a shame as the premise has the potential to go dark like the similar "Crossed" comic-book but it comes across as a bad Z Nation type show...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:33   #23
daboy3000
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Been a mixed-bag for me so far with one notable surprise...
Lethal Weapon apart from appalling continuity shots during the "grand prix"
I wasn't sure what was going on, it was appalling, putting the very poor CGI to one side, one minute the track was dry the next it was flooded, do TV show makers think we are stupid or do they just not care?

I thought it was OK, in a, haven't I seen all this before kind of way. I will try another.

Quote:
Aftermath - Another low-budget SyFy effort showing the End-of-Days through the eyes of a bland US family, with Anne Heche as the ex-military mother. Despite throwing hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, dead-fish, massive meteors, flying demons & possessed, crazed humans at them, they hardly bat an eye-lid at the carnage they endure which is the biggest problem of the show. The whole feel is just wrong for what is conveyed on screen. I actually thought it was going to be a comedy. It's a shame as the premise has the potential to go dark like the similar "Crossed" comic-book but it comes across as a bad Z Nation type show...
Are you saying its worth a watch or don't bother?
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:20   #24
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
Are you saying its worth a watch or don't bother?
I've dropped it from my bulging watch-list but if it was during the quiet summer period, I'd give it a couple more to see if the makers get the tone of the show corrected.

For me it was as bad as the pilot episode of Z Nation which I then dropped immediately but apparently it got better...
Old 29-09-2016, 11:48   #25
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Aftermath was all over the place. There were a few nice ideas & visuals among WTF-ness of the rest, but it's like they decided to throw in everything they ever liked from their favourite horror & sci-fi movies & hoped some of them would stick...
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 16:11   #26
dunkle
Trusted User

This weeks leathal weapon I though was much better. Tongue in cheek in the right way but I still find the chap playing Riggs the weaker link. He seems to almost have the crazy but does seem too young / trying too hard. But besides that I enjoyed the second episode
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 20:19   #27
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Is The Exorcist related to the movies at all?
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 20:57   #28
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Is The Exorcist related to the movies at all?
It would certainly seem to be from at least one scene in first episode but no direct knowledge needed
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:03   #29
Kevin
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
It would certainly seem to be from at least one scene in first episode but no direct knowledge needed
And that scene in the attic gave me the Eebee-Geebees!!!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:47   #30
son of thunder
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
And that scene in the attic gave me the Eebee-Geebees!!!
I quite enjoyed the first episode and that scene was particularly creepy. I hope the show keeps to a tense creepiness rather than over doing the special effects.

All the characters seem decent although Geena davis is also slightly creeping me out, not sure exactly whats going on with her face.

I also felt the same as TonyG when the music kicked in!

Nothing else is grabbing my attention on this list apart from maybe Falling water so I will give that a try.
Old 02-10-2016, 17:16   #31
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
I think I'm done with Designated Survivor. Story has turned too sanctimonious and the acting is pure cheese.

I can't take any of their back stabbing and finger pointing seriously and I shouldnt laugh any time I hear Kiefer say dammit!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:43   #32
daboy3000
Gone

Agree with what most are saying.

Lethal Weapon is OK
Des.Surv. is getting dull
Atlanta still good
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:47   #33
TonyG

2nd Episode of Lethal Weapon was a fraction better than the first. Story-of-the-week was flimsy but the chemistry is getting there & a good few chuckles with their banter, especially with their captain. The rooftop "stunt" was outrageously OTT though...

2nd ep. of The Exorcist was very good again, retaining the creepy atmosphere & THAT scene over the toilet bowel is hands-down, the nastiest scene I've witnessed from a US network show, which is saying something when I've watched every episode of American Horror Story!

Designated Survivor remains on the watch-list despite it getting too patriotic & flag-waving at times...
Old 03-10-2016, 14:17   #34
BigH
Trusted User

Quote:
2nd Episode of Lethal Weapon was a fraction better than the first. Story-of-the-week was flimsy but the chemistry is getting there & a good few chuckles with their banter, especially with their captain. The rooftop "stunt" was outrageously OTT though...

2nd ep. of The Exorcist was very good again, retaining the creepy atmosphere & THAT scene over the toilet bowel is hands-down, the nastiest scene I've witnessed from a US network show, which is saying something when I've watched every episode of American Horror Story!

Designated Survivor remains on the watch-list despite it getting too patriotic & flag-waving at times...
Isn't American horror Story on cable channel Fx? Agreed though - pretty gruesome for network show (not quite up there with Hannibal)

Have dumped Designated Survivor.

Favourite new shows so far are

The Exorcist
Quarry (really liking this)
Atlanta
Old 03-10-2016, 22:14   #35
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

Atlanta is superb. And the use of music/soundtrack absolute genius.
Old 05-10-2016, 00:01   #36
son of thunder
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john white View Post
Just caught two more newbies:

Conviction - Hayley Attwell is the daughter of a senator blackmailed to head a new unit to look at possible wrongful convictions. The show is irredeemably awful as the spoilt brat grows a heart and every character speaks in a mix of non sequiturs and cliche with a plot that doesn't seem to care about what happened, who did it and why. Oh and the music is constantly telling you what to feel because the drama can't...

Timeless - Time travelling nonsense that is pretty unoriginal but at least fun hokum.
Watched Timeless and quite enjoyed it as I'm a sucker for anything to do with time travel.
It's a bit silly and often doesn't make a lot of sense but it entertained me. If Timeless is meant to be taken as a serious and complex show, it doesn't work, but I don't think that it is.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:11   #37
TonyG

enjoyed the Timeless opener. Fast-paced, entertaining & a good lead performance from Abigail Spencer who somehow kept it real amongst the wibbly-wobbly time shenanigans.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:44   #38
TonyG

Conviction - Another courtroom-based vanilla procedural which you've seen a bazillion times before. Only the lovely Hayley Atwell rises above the averageness & is very watchable as ever, although her American accent was grating on me long before the end of the episode.

Immediately dumped from my Watchlist...

Next new show on the list is Frequency.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:22   #39
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,072 Times in 765 Posts
Gave Designated Survivor a go, liked the first episode, thought it had promise. Thought the second was a bit meh, not really sure where the whole series is going. I'd want more West Wing and less CSI, but looks like the whole thing is going to turn into a whodunnit?

But an interesting premise, I'll keep up with it I think.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:53   #40
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Conviction is big, glossy TV & Atwell looks gorgeous, but it's full if irritating characters & cliches by the bucketload. It's gonna need to pull something special out of the bag in episode 2 to keep me watching.

No Tomorrow, about a girl who starts dating a guy who thinks the world is going to end in eight months was surprisingly entertaining. Probably would have made a better half-hour sitcom though.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote