Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 24-09-2016, 12:11   #1
dunkle
Trusted User

New shows for 2016/2017 and into 2018

As suggested

Last edited by dunkle; 05-06-2017 at 15:59.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 12:17   #2
dunkle
Trusted User

I dropped macguyver by the time the opening credits started, it would of been sooner (around about the boat escape) but could not find the remote !

I never saw the original and guess it may be trying to go for some form of 80s charm and innocence, but it was just cringeworthy and awful

I quite enjoyed lethal weapon, not too sure of Riggs. Felt like a poor impression of that fella from Guardians of the Galaxy. Was enjoyable enough but can't quite see it having the depth and stories to go beyond a season.

The exorcists was very good. I'm no big watcher of the movie. Seen it couple of times, enjoyed it, but I'm no die hard fan. Tv show was good, well made, well put together and got me interest a lot more than outcast did

Currently trying van helsing but based on first half hour I'm not sure I'll be sticking with it

Best so far has been designated survivor. Has potential.
Mind I still think they should of used the idea for the new Jack Ryan show, promoting senior to President and then branching off to do the show with Junior, could then do the older tales in flashbacks and even go so far as to pay millions to Ford for the odd cameo

Last edited by dunkle; 24-09-2016 at 12:32.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 12:55   #3
scoobyood
Tony Danza

So far have 'Better Things' on my watch list ..... Pamela Adlon and produced by Louis CK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4370596/
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:26   #4
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Enjoyed Better Things. It's kinda like Californication if you took all the men out of it.

Speechless with Minnie Driver as an outspoken mum with a disabled kid was very good.

Kevin Can Wait was an absolutely dreadful excuse for a sitcom. Felt like it was made in the 90s.

Lethal Weapon was better than expected, but still pretty average. As mentioned elsewhere, it's very similar to the recently canned Rush Hour series. I'd be amazed if it does a full season.

Graves stars Nick Nolte as an ageing ex-US President trying to make amends for his terrible time in office. Not bad at all. Nolte looks more alive than he has in years & the supporting cast's pretty good.

Bull is shiny & glossy entertainment, but the lead character is insufferably smug. I spent most of the running time thinking 'You left NCIS for this?'.

Crunch Time features a bunch of science nerds who accidentally create a black hole in their lab. Very very weird indeed, but quite fun. The makers of Halt & Catch Fire should probably sue them for nicking their title sequence though.

High Maintenance on HBO is about a New York weed dealer. I think it was supposed to be a comedy, but it was laugh free for me.

This Is Us, about a group of people all born in the same day was a great pilot, but it's hard to see where it can go as a series. Still the best of the new stuff that I've seen so far.

Last edited by aprout; 26-09-2016 at 00:24.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:49   #5
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Anyone tried The Good Place with Ted Danson and the always watchable Kristen Bell. Seems pretty good so far.

MacGyver should probably drop it but will probably watch a few more to see where it goes.

Designated Survivor could go either way, looks like a drama without any actual drama so far, but Sutherland is always watchable.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 08:35   #6
daboy3000
Gone

Started Atlanta this weekend, Really enjoyed the first 4 eps. Its about a guy struggling to make money, his cousin is an unsigned rapper and he is trying to manage his gangsta rap career.
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:31   #7
dvds2000
Trusted User

I watched the first few episodes of Quarry over the weekend and was pretty good. About an army guy who comes back from war and is contacted by someone to become a contract killer. Set in the 70's.

https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-atlantic/quarry
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:39   #8
hailesy
Anyone for Coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
I watched the first few episodes of Quarry over the weekend and was pretty good. About an army guy who comes back from war and is contacted by someone to become a contract killer. Set in the 70's.

https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-atlantic/quarry
Watched this on the weekend too, very solid 2 episodes in, will definitely keep watching this.

Designated Survivor Pilot was on Netflix - enjoyed it so will stick this also. Jack is back! (sort of....)
hailesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:03   #9
Kryten

So Far:

Bull - Sticking with it, was interesting enough for me to give it a few episodes
Atlanta - Hated it, but other half liked it. May or may not watch myself
Designated Survivor - Not Jack Bauer in 24 good, but still a good pilot for Kiefer. Will be sticking with this one.
Lethal Weapon - Why oh why did they subject me to this torture?
MacGyver - not as terrible as Lethal Weapon to me, but very generic. Expect to get cancelled
Pitch - Not terrible, but not my kind of show. My other half loved it.
Notorious - A little generic, but could get interesting. Will stick with it for now, but may just let it all record to see if it is cancelled before watching more of it
The Good Place - Terrible new comedy, I hope it gets better, but my god it was a poor first few episodes to me.
Speechless - Enjoyed this, good Minnie Driver performance and a good overall cast. I have hopes for this one.

Still to watch The Exorcist (sat on TiVo) and there are still others to start.
Old 26-09-2016, 13:59   #10
daboy3000
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by john white View Post
Yeah, I didn't get on with Atlanta. Watched it as I loved Donald Glover in Community but didn't laugh, break a smile or feel anything other than restless watching the first episode
Its not a comedy, its a serious drama. But did make me laugh several times. Maybe its the Street in me but I thought it was very good.
Old 26-09-2016, 14:25   #11
CLH
La Bender

Other than the Gran Prix I really enjoyed Lethal Weapon.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 15:32   #12
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,479 Times in 454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
Maybe its the Street in me but I thought it was very good.
Sesame Street?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 15:56   #13
daboy3000
Gone

Old 26-09-2016, 16:05   #14
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,479 Times in 454 Posts
Any excuse to post this classic:

The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 16:13   #15
alsemail
Bibble....

Never seen that before.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 18:00   #16
BigH
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboy3000 View Post
Its not a comedy, its a serious drama. But did make me laugh several times. Maybe its the Street in me but I thought it was very good.
Same here. Best new show of the season for me.

Thought Designated Survivor a bit crap. I'd like to see Kiefer go all Bauer but I don't think it's going to be that kind of show.

Quarry - really liking this

Son of Zorn - mildly amusing

Documentary Now S2. Great to have this back.

Last edited by BigH; 26-09-2016 at 18:03.
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 18:52   #17
Marts62
Boo!

My favourite of the new crop is Falling Water. Reminded me of the sublime The Leftovers in mood and intrigue.

Other stick-withs are Pitch and Notorious.

Better Things and The Good Place are teetering on the cliff edge. Oops, there they go.
Marts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 12:53   #18
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Been a mixed-bag for me so far with one notable surprise...

Bull - Slickly made but having your lead be smug & unlikable is not a good plan & the story-of-the-week element was beyond clichéd & boring. Off my watch-list immediately!

The Good Place - An interesting, fresh premise, lots of chuckle-level humour & Kirsten Bell looking gorgeous & hitting her comedy-beats perfectly. Good enough to remain on my watch-list for now.

Lethal Weapon - Better than expected but still a pale representation of the movie series. The two leads are mildly watchable & the production values were decent (apart from appalling continuity shots during the "grand prix"). I'll give it a couple more...

Designated Survivor - Good solid opener & has the potential to be a decent show. Keifer is surprisingly good as a dweeby bloke lumbered with the toughest job in the world. Comfortably remains on my watch-list unless they really drop the (nuclear) football.

Notorious - Perabo is still gorgeous but there the positives I brought from this show end. Everything else was clichéd & beyond dull. Swiftly dumped from my watch-list.

Van Helsing - Typical low-budget SyFy show which offered nothing original to the vampire/apocalyptic/zombie genre at all. If it popped up during the quiet summer period, I'd give it a few more but it's way too busy to stick with & off the watch-list.

MacGyver - Easily the worst show I've witnessed so far. An annoying lead, over-the-top bombastic soundtrack, terrible CGI effects, postage-stamp plot & worst of all, what should be the selling point of the show (the DIY "clever" solutions to impossible situations) were shockingly unoriginal (Soot + tape + fingerprint for example, WTF!) ... And just how dumb do they think the US audiences are when they actually have to put subtitles on screen to convey what his "clever" solutions are?!? .... Instant watch-list removal.

The Exorcist - Best new show so far & biggest surprise as I was expecting a limp, scare-free, tame network-tv show but what we get is a well-made, gritty, nasty, creepy & intriguing show with good acting throughout, well directed & treats the premise with some gravitas and when THE music kicks in, I got goose-bumps! ... More please!

Still to try Falling Water which looks very good but as it doesn't start proper for a few weeks, i'll keep it for later...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 14:28   #19
cjay
Trusted User

I'm surprised for all the love for the Exorcist. I was expecting it to be dire. I will have to check it out it seems.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 10:17   #20
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Falling Water - Intriguing opening episode that comes across like an Inception-lite/Sens8 style show. Very slow paced but the visuals are very good & a decent cast. Definitely did enough to keep me watching for at least a few more to hopefully find out what the **** is going on!
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote