Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 31-08-2016, 21:28   #1
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

What streaming services do you use?

Figuring I have been on here for many a year now I realised that the way I consume TV and movies has drastically changed since I signed up to this forum in the early 2000's.

In the last couple of days I have signed up two free trials for more subscription services and it got me thinking what do other people use?

I myself have:

Netflix
Amazon Instant Prime
Now TV
Google Music

And currently have a free trial of Crunchyroll and Funimation, I recently got the Anmie bug and will make the most out of these two.

I totaled it all up to see what it comes to and I will be hitting the £30 mark (I didn't include Prime as that is a once a year fee, or Now TV as that is 8 quid once a quarter and if I take the Crunchroll sub I can do that once a quarter as well).

Having cut back on my TV sun from Virgin I might not be saving much but I am getting a hell of a lot of TV that I like watching rather then bundled channels that I have little or no interest in.

What is everyone else subbing to, are there any big names that I haven't tried yet?
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 21:42   #2
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,507 Times in 475 Posts
Amazon Prime
Netflix

That's it. And my Netflix sub isn't active at the minute.
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 22:27   #3
Barnacle
Trusted User

Amazon Prime only for me.
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 23:02   #4
zantarous

Have you guys found that you have changed the way in which you watch TV and movies?
Old 31-08-2016, 23:49   #5
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,022 Times in 506 Posts
I have Amazon, Netflix, Plex server with ripped DVD and Blu-ray's, Google music and a cineworld unlimited card. All that plus a set of quality YouTube subscriptions honed over the last decade.... There is no need for 'TV'. All of it is managed on my phone and pumped through a lone Chromecast in the back of the TV.

The idea of sitting watching live TV, where 20 mins of every hour is advertising, is insane to me now. Visiting my parents it's actually a source of arguments as they pay a significant amount of money to Rupert Murdoch every month to be bombarded with insipid drivel... Merely because they are familiar with it.

Last edited by scoobyood; 31-08-2016 at 23:53.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 00:11   #6
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
The idea of sitting watching live TV, where 20 mins of every hour is advertising, is insane to me now. Visiting my parents it's actually a source of arguments as they pay a significant amount of money to Rupert Murdoch every month to be bombarded with insipid drivel... Merely because they are familiar with it.
It's probably been at least 10 years since I've seen a tv advert on live tv!
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:01   #7
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Just Netflix for us. We still watch 'broadcast' TV in the main but via our YouView PVR as has been the norm for >10 years or so so nothing it watched 'live' anyway. Not keen on the forced adverts on things like All4 so it's better to record it and watch it at a later time/date.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:14   #8
zantarous

Yep I should have mentioned hardly any line TV usually just the needed or the Euros/World Cup. I still have a Virgin TiVo that they basically have to me for free and just had the basic line up of channels.

Not too keen on using a phone to control my viewing i invested in Harmony Elite and it's a beauty. Watch all my stuff via an Amazon Fire TV, Now TV and Chromecast. I really which Google would release an SDK to allow third party remote manufacturers to pause and seek Chromecast videos longer on the Nexus Player.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:12   #9
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

I have

Amazon Prime
Netflix (sub lapsed)
Andriod Box(s) with Kodi
Mini PC at the back of the TV for 'other stuff'
Also a Tivo which I use to record.

I almost never watch live terrestrial, only times I can think of is when one of the channels manages to outbid Sky / BT for live sport.
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:28   #10
Barnacle
Trusted User

I've also got Sky (family/entertainment package) and it's only my kids who Sky to watch Disney/Nickelodeon. My wife and I very rarely watch live TV and if we do its usually for the news or Food/Cooking programmes.

There must be a cheaper way to watch Disney/Nickelodeon than through Sky ?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:41   #11
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Prime
Netflix
AppleTV / Itunes
Sky (the full package - though thinking of ditching Sports as only interested in Championship football until Leeds get promoted - which may not be in my lifetime!)

I'm still a great fan of "unplanned" live TV - finding a programme or a film I wouldn't normally have watched and seeing what it's like.

I keep thinking of ditching Sky and getting NowTV but the lack of subtitles on NowTV puts me off.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:43   #12
GregB
Stagger Lee

Prime (courtesy of my wife signing up for a trial and not bothering to cancel)
Netflix
Google Play Music
Sky (full package at the moment)

As I mentioned in another thread I would bin Sky if it didn't have to then explain to my wife how to work everything else.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 14:13   #13
stephen
Trusted User

Our main viewing is via Netflix and iPlayer. We often use Amazon for buying/renting films and sometimes rent via the XBox store too.

It feels like stepping into a timewarp when I visit my parents as they still talk about when things are going to be on.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:21   #14
orac
information is restricted

Netflix (4 device share with a relative)
Amazon prime (sons 6 mth free student trial - will get a year for half price)
Wuaki TV for 99p film rentals (any title, once a month) - selected list on Weds.
Itunes - 99p rentals (occasional)
Eurosport player - airplay to Apple TV, buy a month when something on (US Open Tennis currently)
Now TV - got a 2 month movie pass to use, previously used passes for the TV content. Occasional sky sports for major Tennis slams/golf inc. Ryder cup.

Its hard to get one device for that lot (and I use Plex).

Currently use (TV isn't smart) -

Samsung Blu Ray player - Amazon Prime, Wuaki TV
Apple TV (3rd gen) - Netflix, Now TV, iTunes, Eurosport Player (airplay), iPlayer (via Plexconnect), YouTube
Now TV box (newer black one) - NOW TV, iPlayer, All4, ITVplayer & Demand5, YouTube

Films you must see

Last edited by orac; 02-09-2016 at 10:25.
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47   #15
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,189 Times in 839 Posts
Prime (mostly as an all round package, photo storage, delivery, deals, etc.)
Netflix
Now TV (entertainment and movies)
Sky (family package, it's going when the contract runs out and using NowTV)

We view it on little NowTV boxes, and Amazon fire TV or stick, thinking of upgrading to a solution that does all the above (a Roku I believe) but don't care that much to pay out.

That pretty much does me for everything I watch, I signed up to a Lovefilm trial to get a tenner off Amazon for a fiver, and stuck a few things not yet on NowTV. I got sent Deadpool, took me a while to find the remote for the player and then about five mins of replugging the thing as we'd reclaimed the HDMI for something we use.

I also own a few movies bought on Amazon, I think I might look to go down this further in the future, it's only a couple of Spongebob movies, but the kids love them and I'd look to do this more in the future.

In all honesty for my stuff, I'm happy with waiting for NowTV for modern stuff, and just take a gamble on what is on Netflix, I never get bored and haven't opened a DVD case in ages for my own use (kids still want them). Quite like the rentals on Amazon, £3.49 if I cannot wait (ain't bothered about HD) and usually have some digital credit to make them free

Last BD I bought was SW: TFA properly and got a couple in a poundshop as we were in a caravan that had a DVD player and nothign to watch
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:36   #16
stephen
Trusted User

We tend to buy most things on Amazon, as well as being able to watch them on our tvs we can also download them to any of our iPads for car journeys etc.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:43   #17
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,189 Times in 839 Posts
I'd add a lot of the value is for the kids stuff on all platforms. So hassle free, all the Thomas films are pretty much there so my kids are happy. Also like how Amazon has a lot of retro stuff, if I can stand the complaining I make them watch an episode of Bertha or Trapdoor.
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:50   #18
stephen
Trusted User

It's hard to imagine how we managed without streaming now, DVDs left out of their cases all over the place getting scratched etc.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:55   #19
zantarous

Some really good stuff her folks keep it coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by orac View Post
Wuaki TV for 99p film rentals (any title, once a month) - selected list on Weds.
I have heard the name but never really looked into this will take a ganders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post

We view it on little NowTV boxes, and Amazon fire TV or stick, thinking of upgrading to a solution that does all the above (a Roku I believe) but don't care that much to pay out.

In all honesty for my stuff, I'm happy with waiting for NowTV for modern stuff, and just take a gamble on what is on Netflix, I never get bored and haven't opened a DVD case in ages for my own use (kids still want them). Quite like the rentals on Amazon, £3.49 if I cannot wait (ain't bothered about HD) and usually have some digital credit to make them free

Last BD I bought was SW: TFA properly and got a couple in a poundshop as we were in a caravan that had a DVD player and nothign to watch
This is the holy grail one box that does it all, so far for me the Fire TV wins but lacks Now TV and Crunchyroll. My Nexus player is next to useless as almost everything has to be cast via phone/tablet as it has almost no apps but both can have Kodi installed which is a must for me.

I did look into a Roku but hated the interface, and no side loading of Kodi.

I also now find DVDs a hassel and I too have the same issue as mentioned above with having to replug the HDMi and power outlet. Heck if I have the DVD/Blu and it is available on a streaming service I would rather stream it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
We tend to buy most things on Amazon, as well as being able to watch them on our tvs we can also download them to any of our iPads for car journeys etc.
The off line play back is a big win I too often download shows from Prime for commuting or plane journeys.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:13   #20
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Had nowtv and kodi (android tv box). Now the NowTV sub has run out (had a 6 monther) chucking it as with kodi you don't really need anything else.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote