Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-2016, 11:39   #1
Tempest
Trusted User

Different music in every room?

Asking this for a gentleman at work, though I suspect this would be such a desired "want" that there should be answers already out there.

Music streamed into individual rooms of a home, fed from a central device and controlled by apps on mobile devices.

So the nuts and bolts (in my mind would be - if I imagine it!)

1: You have a small, low power, central NAS/SERVER, with lets say a 1TB SSD to store the music on.

2: In every room you have speakers, connected to the speakers you have a small amplification/receiving box, that plugs into the Mains power so it can drive the speakers, and gets fed the music stream from the central Nas/Server.

3: You have an App on your mobile device, which is connected to central device, which allows you to pick the track you wish to play, and importantly which room this track is being fed to.

Perhaps you set up "Zones/Rooms" and give them names.

Or course, there could be 5 people in the house, and all 5 using Mobile phones or Tablets, so they can pick which track to play in the room they are in.

(not sure how the volume would be handled, but hey)

What's out there, to do this? Can it be DIY'd a bit, or to get this do you have to buy into some ready made expensive solution on the market?

I've never looked into this myself, hence asking here, so I can pass on any suggestions for him to look at.

Thanks
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:59   #2
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Use Chromecast audio devices ( http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chr...audio/explore/ ) connected to the speakers/sound system in every room, give each Chromecast device a name matching the room and let any user with a Chromecast enabled device (PC, phone, tablet) decide what they want to stream in each room.

Or is that too simple / primitive?

Wendelius

Last edited by Wendelius; 08-04-2016 at 12:03.
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 12:36   #3
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post
Use Chromecast audio devices ( http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chr...audio/explore/ ) connected to the speakers/sound system in every room, give each Chromecast device a name matching the room and let any user with a Chromecast enabled device (PC, phone, tablet) decide what they want to stream in each room.

Wendelius
Any idea is a good idea.
So with this, we need a stand alone device (amp connected to speakers) that has an AUX in, basically.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:52   #4
BigH
Trusted User

Sonos

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Tempest (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 08:59   #5
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

Sonos, Spotify or deezer account and my preference a dedicated IPad mini to control sonos app and host any local audio I want to stream
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 10:18   #6
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Sonos

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
Sonos, Spotify or deezer account and my preference a dedicated IPad mini to control sonos app and host any local audio I want to stream
Thank you to you both.
He did mention SONOS in passing whilst I was chatting to him, or I did, and he said things about it.
Is it cost with SONOS?
It's a name/brand I have heard even myself, but (wild guess) I'm presuming either it's wildly expensive, as most audio equipment seems to be, for no good reason, or, it's a bit "Apple-ish" in that, to make it work you need to do it "Their Way"
Both these points may well be wrong, I'm only guessing.

For myself, if I were doing it, the Chromecast into whatever bit of audio equipment you have in each room, sounds a very versatile system.
Could be one old radio/CD unit in the Garage or a high end system in the lounge, as long as they have AUX in for the chromecast.

I accept though it would be nice to have something where you buy a unit suitable for every room, and "It just works" which I guess is what SONOS is all about?

Last edited by Tempest; 09-04-2016 at 10:19.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:28   #7
Tempest
Trusted User

Just had a quick look at SONOS myself, yes, I agree, looks pretty nice, easy simple.
Overpriced of course, but then most audio equipment is.
By that I mean, price wise, it's compatible for a high end main room of the house on-off cost, but then start buying one for each room and the cost ramps

But still, yes, agreed, looks nice and simple.

Only bit negatives I've seen so far are: Does not work with Spotify, and Does not work with Amazon Prime Music (if those are aspects that may be an issue)
Old 09-04-2016, 10:35   #8
internetuser

Of course it works with Spotify ! If you hunt round you can get play 1 systems for £140 each. Which are ample for most rooms.

It does work with Amazon music. Just not the Amazon music prime. ( this is currently they may add the feature. Like they did with Apple Music.)
Thanked once by:
Tempest (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 11:03   #9
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
Of course it works with Spotify ! If you hunt round you can get play 1 systems for £140 each. Which are ample for most rooms.

It does work with Amazon music. Just not the Amazon music prime. ( this is currently they may add the feature. Like they did with Apple Music.)
I was just going by some Amazon reviews

"1.0 out of 5 starsSPOTIFY USERS READ THIS: This does NOT work the Spotify App
ByHawk1572on 11 February 2016
Style Name: PLAY:1 (Black)|Verified Purchase
The major major drawback that most of these reviews are not pointing out is that this does NOT work with the Spotify app. In order to play Spotify music through any Sonos device, you have to play it through the Sonos app. And the Sonos app is NOT even close to what you get on the Spotify app. It crashes frequently. It skips songs for no apparent reason. It has none of your radio channels. It is very slow to respond and skip or pause songs. It doesn't have your shared playlists. It is TERRIBLE compared to Spotify. I'm returning this Sonos speaker right now as using it with Spotify is the only reason I bought it. Fact is you could buy a much cheaper speaker with better Spotify integration which will allow you to keep using Spotify."

Working with all the streaming services, these days is of course what's needed, and why I know many won't go with Apple stuff, due to lock downs.

The £140 unit I'm sure is good for general rooms in the home.
Guessing there may be a different model for the bathroom?

So we're looking at £1000 ish for a full-ish home setup plus the main one in the lounge.

Looks a good system I'll have to ask him again why he's not gone down the SONOS route.

Last edited by Tempest; 09-04-2016 at 11:05.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:31   #10
internetuser

It does workwith Spotiy and like the review says, its via the SONOS app, which is the same with all SONOS integrated products. In terms of the app crashing, it could be the device or wifi they are running off. I have never had the app crash for me, and used it on multiple apple devices.

It works fine on Android as well, and I am told via windows.

As with Amazon reviews you always get a bad one, or do not know what they are buying into.

The play 1 is fine for use in bathrooms, can be paired to up run in stereo if you wish (and according to most 2x play 1s sound better than a single play 3/5)

It totally depends on how anal you are about audio, but these are generally well regarded and just work, and now many rooms you want a device in.

Chrome casts are fine, if you have existing kit and dont mind a bit of messing about at times. I replaced existing kit with SONOS as it was a cleaner solution. No need for DAB radios or bluetooth speakers scattered round.

SONOS is a simple system my gf can use with out spitting her dummy out, like some bluetooth speakers etc when she could not pair her phone or it killed her battery streaming to it.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:44   #11
GregB
Stagger Lee

Sonos is brilliant and also works really well with Google Music.

We have four Play 1s. A stereo pair in the living room and one each in the bedroom and kitchen. They do exactly what we want.

We would have one in the bathroom but don't have any power sockets in there so can't. Hopefully that will do a battery powered version at some point

Last edited by GregB; 09-04-2016 at 11:49.
GregB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:50   #12
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanks to all.

From what's being said here, it does seem like, unless you really want to keep down to a budget or prefer your own equipment, then SONOS has it pretty much nailed at the moment.

I take it, you just need a power socket for your Sonus device and that's it.
And, you can of course take to with you (if you wanted music in the workshop for the afternoon) Just plug it in.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:23   #13
baffled
XBL GT: Sismastery

Very happy with my Sonos set up (2xPlay 1's and sub), mainly use Soundcloud, mixcloud, Deezer and Tunein radio through the Sonos app and it all just works.

Other solutions may do the same but I like how the Sonos app will search across all your streaming services at once when looking for something.
baffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:29   #14
ClarkNovember
Trusted User

I have a small Sonos based system and it works well but new to the market is Yamaha's Musiccast which looks really good.

http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/musiccast-system/review

There are some decent priced Yamaha amps that feature Musiccast so you can get decent amps in a number of rooms relatively cheaply.
ClarkNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:20   #15
ClarkNovember
Trusted User

Tried to post yesterday but as I included a link, it got blocked.

I have a small Sonos system and it works really well. However, it looks like Yamaha Musiccast is a (new) valid alternative. There are a number of reasonably priced amps with this functionality and the reviews I have seen are positive.
ClarkNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:14   #16
basegreen
neergesab

Sonos or don't bother IMO
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 11:09   #17
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post

Wendelius
Thanks for this, Wendelius. I'd heard of Sonos a few months ago, but had no idea what they did, and although I used to have a Google Chromecast device about a year ago, I didn't know they had an audio version either!

It looks really good - I'm a Spotify Premium user, and wanted to be able to have my music playing whilst I'm in the kitchen, say, and didn't know how it could be done. This looks ideal.

I guess what I'm now asking is, is there a recommended speaker to use with this Chromecast audio device, or will anything with the relevant inputs do, as I'd need to buy a speaker too.

Thanks in advance.
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 12:27   #18
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheDance View Post
Thanks for this, Wendelius. I'd heard of Sonos a few months ago, but had no idea what they did, and although I used to have a Google Chromecast device about a year ago, I didn't know they had an audio version either!

It looks really good - I'm a Spotify Premium user, and wanted to be able to have my music playing whilst I'm in the kitchen, say, and didn't know how it could be done. This looks ideal.

I guess what I'm now asking is, is there a recommended speaker to use with this Chromecast audio device, or will anything with the relevant inputs do, as I'd need to buy a speaker too.

Thanks in advance.
Well, the Chromecast audio will plug in into RCA, 3.5 mm and Optical speaker inputs. It's just a cheap way of being able to cast audio to existing speakers, really.

If you have anything that will take those inputs in the kitchen, for example, you should be fine.

Wendelius
LordoftheDance (13-04-2016)