Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 18-01-2016, 12:16   #1
dunkle
Trusted User

What to read next ?

Help needed in choose next book / another series to read please

Ive never been a big reader, however over last couple of months I have really got into my last few books and probably read 3 or 4 times what I normally do

I have just finished John Grisham "Rogue Lawyer" which I loved have downloaded more Grisham based on it as never read them before, but I dont like reading same author in a row

Whilst I love fantasy in every other media im not a fan of reading it.
Never really got on with the Game of Thrones books (tried way before the TV), same for Lord of the Rings and Hobbit. Best I have ever managed is Joe Abercrombie, but even then I found that a chore rather than an enjoyment to read

I guess I prefer books set in a "real" world and ideally the current age

I find police procedural novels leave me cold (due to my work) and avoid them as best I can

Im a big fan of the Lee Child novels, however of late they have just been very samey. Same with the Andy McNab books. Both Child and McNab could be described as my "preferred" style of book, however my tastes may have changed. Have recently started and given up on novels by Andy McDermott, James Rollins and Scott Mariani. All of them just felt like they where all written using some form of word template and designed just as books for those who read around the pool in summer

Of books I have read over the last 12 months I would say the following

Girl on the Train. Loved it. Felt different and kept me guessing pretty much up to the end. Like the writing style and the characters and would seek out anything else the author brings out. On the back of that I have tried Gone Girl, The Kind worth Killing and Disclaimer but all 3 again just left me cold

Mr Mercedes. Loved it. Have the next book lined up and it reminded me why as a child I loved Stephen King. Purchased The Stand, The Gunslinger and Bazaar of Bad Dreams off the back of it and will work way through rest of his work that I have missed.

Marky Greaney (Tom Clancy's) Commander in Chief. Enjoyed it. Read all of the Jack Ryan books and love them. Like the multiple characters and the mix of action \ drama.

Have downloaded The Third Option via Vince Flynn and that currently looks like be my next read

So, based on above, anyone able suggest next book I should try. Ideally as well would like something part of a series and ideally UK based if possible but not essential
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:42   #2
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

My book of the year last year... Tuesday Falling by S Williams

Quote:
You’ve never met anyone like Tuesday. She has suffered extreme cruelty at the hands of men, and so has taken it upon herself to seek vengeance. She wants to protect and help others like her, to ease their suffering. A force to be reckoned with, she lives beneath the streets of London in the hidden network of forgotten tunnels that honeycomb the city – and this is her preferred hunting ground.
And only £1.99 on kindle just now. It just pipped Girl On The Train for me.

Currently i am reading Ready Player One which i am really enjoying. Lots of gaming and 80's references. Think Mr Mercedes is my next read.

To be honest i have far too many books sitting waiting to be read. I think i need to watch less movies and start reading more books.
Professor Abronsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 12:58   #3
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Abronsius View Post

Currently i am reading Ready Player One which i am really enjoying. Lots of gaming and 80's references. Think Mr Mercedes is my next read.

To be honest i have far too many books sitting waiting to be read. I think i need to watch less movies and start reading more books.

I actually have Tuesday Falling - must have purchased it when previously on here about it but never downloaded so just been sat on "cloud" - so thats on Kindle

I really enjoyed Ready Player One, although by all accounts his next novel is not that good.
Old 18-01-2016, 13:05   #4
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,136 Times in 801 Posts
We seem to like the same sort of stuff...

John Grisham books are seldom that samey to be honest, I'm a big fan, maybe something a little different from him, I certainly enjoyed Calico Joe and Playing for Pizza, neither in the Legal genre.

If you like the Tom Clancy stuff, I'd recommend a bit of Frederick Forsyth, not read a bad one (although I've not read them all), start with The Dogs of War, possibly one of the best books ever written.

I never thought I'd care for Jeffrey Archer books, but found his Clifton Chronicles to be a decent read.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:06   #5
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,136 Times in 801 Posts
We seem to like the same sort of stuff...

John Grisham books are seldom that samey to be honest, I'm a big fan, maybe something a little different from him, I certainly enjoyed Calico Joe and Playing for Pizza, neither in the Legal genre.

If you like the Tom Clancy stuff, I'd recommend a bit of Frederick Forsyth, not read a bad one (although I've not read them all), start with The Dogs of War, possibly one of the best books ever written.

I never thought I'd care for Jeffrey Archer books, but found his Clifton Chronicles to be a decent read.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:15   #6
dunkle
Trusted User

Cheers

Dogs of War purchased

Last edited by dunkle; 18-01-2016 at 13:16.
Old 18-01-2016, 14:06   #7
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

I'm reading Mark Dawson's John Milton series at the moment and really enjoying it - Much better than the recent Reacher releases.

I picked up the multi-book packs on Kindle for cheap, and have just bought the 7th and 8th book in the series.

If you sign up on www.markdawson.com you get a free download copy of the prequel novella and a free download copy of the 1st full book !
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:22   #8
ml_
XB:Zaphod79 -PS:Zaphod_79

Since you've mentioned liking King i'll throw in 11/22/63 which is being made into a TV series now - you can watch the trailer which sets up the premise here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVcQ5tHjSs

Not set present day / not UK

The Ocean at the end of the lane - Neil Gaiman - set in the UK but not exactly present day - set in a believable world but does have some supernatural stuff to it - it might have enough of reality in there to get past the 'fantasy' elements which put you off other stuff.

Last edited by ml_; 18-01-2016 at 14:25.
ml_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:28   #9
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
Mark Dawson's John Milton series.
I have a few of them on my kindle that i picked up cheap. Not read them yet though.
Old 18-01-2016, 14:34   #10
dunkle
Trusted User

Strangely have that on my kindle cloud to. Just gone buy first three collection and says already purchased. I must make sure i check my cloud properly
Old 18-01-2016, 14:53   #11
dunkle
Trusted User

Well my Kindle now has 11 books on to try work through, just deciding on next, toss up between Tuesday Falling and The Dogs of War

Anyway the 12 are

The first 3 John Milton / Mark Dawson books
The Dogs of War
Tuesday Falling
Val McDermid - Beneath the Bleeding
John Grisham - A Time to Kill
Stephen King - Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Stephen King - The Stand
Stephen King - The Gunslinger
Vince Flynn - The Third Option
Anthony Horowitz - Moriarty
The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Old 18-01-2016, 14:57   #12
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml_ View Post
Since you've mentioned liking King i'll throw in 11/22/63 which is being made into a TV series now - you can watch the trailer which sets up the premise here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVcQ5tHjSs

Not set present day / not UK

The Ocean at the end of the lane - Neil Gaiman - set in the UK but not exactly present day - set in a believable world but does have some supernatural stuff to it - it might have enough of reality in there to get past the 'fantasy' elements which put you off other stuff.
11/22/63 I almost loved
Up til about the least 3rd it was brilliant, but I was not overly keen on the ending (and as I understand it it may have been tweaked for TV)

That was the book that got me onto Mr Mercedes

The time travel element in 11/23/63 was brilliant and refreshing though, the fixed point and touching on time still progressing which is something that has always annoyed me about lot of time travel stuff (Dr Who in particular - its ok returning to the moment you left in the Tardis but whilst those there would not have aged you would of, ok it may only be a little bit, but it adds up, although im sure somewhere for Who its been covered that the Tardis does clever Timey Wimey Stuff that stops the age process)
Old 18-01-2016, 22:25   #13
wobbly Jelly
Trusted User

Just re-read the Dogs of War and a good 60's thriller - some of his others. I enjoyed the Stand, The Gunslinger is good, but I don't think best in the dark tower the middle books I think were some of best, Drawing of the Three and Wizards and Glass.

Misread first one on your list as John Milton is not an easy read - Paradise Lost?
Old 19-01-2016, 06:56   #14
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Best I have ever managed is Joe Abercrombie, but even then I found that a chore rather than an enjoyment to read
I understand that it's each to his own, but I'm surprised that anybody would find Abercrombie's work a chore to read. IMO, his character portrayals are second to none.
Old 19-01-2016, 07:26   #15
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

You'd enjoy the Peter James (Roy Grace) series. It's fluff, but I like them as an interlude between some of the heavier stuff I read.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 22:01   #16
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:

Wow

Loving Tuesday Fallen. Not what I was expecting at all. Very good from 15% or so o have read
Old 23-01-2016, 18:12   #17
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

Glad to see you are enjoying it.

It's just dropped to the Forums favourite price 'FREE' just now as well, for anyone else who might be interested in reading it.
Old 27-01-2016, 01:53   #18
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Glad to see you are enjoying it.

It's just dropped to the Forums favourite price 'FREE' just now as well, for anyone else who might be interested in reading it.
Finished it
Found the ending / last fifth of the book a bit of a letdown to be honest. Rest was brilliant but there came a point when you sort of realise there the book is getting close to the end and there does not seem to be enough pages left to finish the story properly

the character was great but again this also changed towards the end of the book

No doubt a sequel will be along at some point
Old 27-01-2016, 14:32   #19
ml_
XB:Zaphod79 -PS:Zaphod_79

I finished it yesterday - I agree that the ending was a little off pace but really enjoyed the rest

I'd read a sequel.
ml_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 08:44   #20
Taq
Evil Scientist

I highly recommend In Vitro Lottery
(although I might be slightly biased)