Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 28-12-2015, 21:40   #21
luffk
Trusted User

Just finished watching this and concur with a lot of what everyone has said.

Last edited by luffk; 28-12-2015 at 21:44.
luffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 01:00   #22
Psycho
Trusted User

Short interview with Dean Strang, which picks up on the point of two people being convicted of the same crime but with different/conflicting theories, which seems bonkers!

http://www.wkow.com/story/30834876/2...ol-city-sunday

Psycho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 05:16   #23
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Just finished watching this and binge watched it over two days. Gripping, sad and shocking stuff.

Psycho
The difference with the WM3 case, is there was literally no physical evidence in that case, tying the 3 to the scene. It was a conviction based on people saying they did it, including crucially one of the boys himself (albeit coerced)

In this case, there is still no real explanation for

I came away from the documentary not knowing 100% that he didn't do it (though Brendan seems pretty much nailed on in having nothing to do with it) which is different to how I felt after watching Paradise Lost, which was truly scary watching.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 13:53   #24
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
In this case, there is still no real explanation for

Whether Avery is incident or guilty what is quite clear that it cannot be proved either way beyond reasonable doubt, which American juries don't seem to have explained to them.
Old 29-12-2015, 14:52   #25
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
They test it though and prove that the blood in the car doesn't contain the same chemical found in the blood checked into evidence. I'm willing to suspend belief enough that the town police might be out to get him, but the Feds test the blood and conclude that it wasn't from the vial. I don't believe they would be in on the frame.
Old 29-12-2015, 16:40   #26
alsemail
Bibble....

But the test is a completely made up test that they pushed through without any scientific third party testing. Apparently it's something very difficult to do and we just have to take their word the test works.

Also they couldn't state there was no EDTA in the blood, just the test couldn't detect it. They couldn't provide any proof that the test had worked in a blind testing situation with samples that had EDTA present and not present nor could they say to what level of concentration the test detected EDTA.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 16:52   #27
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
Also they couldn't state there was no EDTA in the blood, just the test couldn't detect it. They couldn't provide any proof that the test had worked in a blind testing situation with samples that had EDTA present and not present nor could they say to what level of concentration the test detected EDTA.
You would have thought the best way to test it would be to have 10 samples of blood, not from the actual crime scene, with and without EDTA in them. If you could tell which ones had EDTA and which ones didn't then you know the test actually worked.

Only then would you run the test on the actual samples of blood from the car.

That seems logical to me and I don't work for the FBI.

I didn't know that the samples of blood had been used up and there is now no way of retesting the blood if a fully working and approved test is found in the future!

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 17:26   #28

Did they say they used up all the blood? I know she said she sneezed in the sample or something. Seemed pretty professional.
Old 29-12-2015, 18:11   #29
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
But the test is a completely made up test that they pushed through without any scientific third party testing. Apparently it's something very difficult to do and we just have to take their word the test works.

You always have to take the word of an expert though unfortunately. It is one of the flaws of the system, in that the prosecution seem to have unlimited access to proving their case, whereas defence witnesses are limited in how much they can be paid for testifying etc.

I air on the side of him being innocent (Avery), but I am not as convinced as I have been after watching other potential miscarriage of justice documentaries. Perhaps if the filmmakers had been more objective in the execution, it would have helped. There is no mention of other evidence that was presented to the court, I've learned on reading up on the case, notably:

Quote:
Avery targeted Teresa. On Oct 31 (8:12 am) he called AutoTrader magazine and asked them to send "that same girl who was here last time." On Oct 10, Teresa had been to the property when Steve answered the door just wearing a towel. She said she would not go back because she was scared of him (obviously). Avery used a fake name and fake #, giving those to the AutoTrader receptionist, to trick her into coming.
Quote:
Teresa's phone, camera and PDA were found 20 ft from Avery's door, burned in his barrel. Why did the documentary not tell the viewers the contents of her purse were in his burn barrel?
Quote:
While in prison, Avery told his cell mate of his intent to build a "torture chamber" so he could rape, torture and kill young women when he was released. He even drew a diagram. His other cell mate was told by Avery that the way to get rid of a body is to "burn it"...heat destroys DNA.
Quote:
Her bones in the firepit were "intertwined" with the steel belts, left over from the car tires Avery threw on the fire to burn, as described by Dassey. That WAS where her bones were burned!
Quote:
Also found in the fire pit was Teresa's tooth (ID'd through dental records), a rivet from the "Daisy Fuentes" jeans she was wearing that day, and the tools used by Avery to chop up her bones during the fire.
Quote:
Phone records show 3 calls from Avery to Teresa's cell phone on Oct 31. One at 2:24, and one at 2:35--both calls Avery uses the *67 feature so Teresa doesn't know it him...both placed before she arrives. Then one last call at 4:35 pm, without the *67 feature. Avery first believes he can simply say she never showed up, so tries to establish the alibi call after she's already tied up in his trailer, hence the 4:35 call. She will never answer of course, so he doesn't need the *67 feature.
A lot of that might be hearsay or consequential but it seems odd that these items, brought up at trial, were not revealed during the documentary.

The thing that still is the biggest sway towards innocent, for me, is the lack of blood anywhere else on his property. Nothing where the crime was supposed to be committed or in the garage, but that still doesn't disprove guilt - he could have murdered her elsewhere.

As I say, a documentary like Paradise Lost, it is far more definitive in displaying how flawed the criminal justice system in the US can be.
Old 29-12-2015, 20:04   #30
Jez
Ellis Retire!

What site was that other information from Lou? Or is it easily available as the trial was public?

The phone records is odd, he’s hardly a master criminal to try and establish an alibi surely?

Anyone recommend any other true crime docs? I’ve watched West of Memphis, so no point in watching Paradise Lost?
Old 29-12-2015, 20:18   #31
LouBarlow
Retired Member

That info came from the DA recently, who has received death threats and such like, since the documentary aired. He actually converses with the people who have emailed him concerning the case. The Staircase is essential viewing (and on Youtube now) also The Thin Blue Line and The Jinx.

For a slightly different slant try Dear Zachary but prepare yourself.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 29-12-2015 at 20:52.
Old 30-12-2015, 05:35   #32
LouBarlow
Retired Member

...and I forgot 'The Central Park Five' (Netflix)

Yes, yes I am addicted to these docs.

Also, people are picking up on a more plausible scenario for the crime in 'Making a Murderer' based on

That was from his first confession, and also not mentioned in the documentary. Far more plausible, but doesn't explain why his story keeps changing.
Old 30-12-2015, 08:15   #33
baffled
XBL GT: Sismastery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
...and I forgot 'The Central Park Five' (Netflix)
Been trying to recall the name of that one for ages, cheers.

Which of the Memphis 3 docs is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 12:53   #34
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled View Post
Been trying to recall the name of that one for ages, cheers. Which of the Memphis 3 docs is better? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
West of Memphis is a good all rounder but personally I would watch Paradise Lost and Paradise Lost: Purgatory together. Ignore the second one as it is pretty much entirely inaccurate.
Old 30-12-2015, 17:50   #35
ascender
Trusted User

Just finished the first episode. Holy ****.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 20:47   #36
ascender
Trusted User

Watching this is incredibly frustrating. Just halfway through episode five now.

Firstly... What about the blood vial at the end of episode four? Surely that in itself to is grounds for some inquiry in to the behaviour of the police in that state?

Then you get to all the interviews with the 16 year old kid with the low IQ - how are police in America allowed to interview any children without an adult or lawyer present? And then you have him in jail dealing with a lawyer and not even being able to understand what's going on or even what words like inconsistent mean.

And as for the scarily incessant police and legal teams who rule that county, I'd hate to get in the wrong side of any of them.

It's incredibly addictive viewing though, will check the spoiler posts out when finished.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 22:19   #37
jroadley
Trusted User

First episode in, blood boiling.
Old 01-01-2016, 00:10   #38
dvdphile
Early Adopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
First episode in, blood boiling.
You best stop now then as it only gets much more intense!
dvdphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:30   #39
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,072 Times in 765 Posts
Up to Episode 5 Spoilers

jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 16:31   #40
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,072 Times in 765 Posts
Wow this really draws you in, I could have taken or left it in the early episodes but now at number 7 and I've had to stop as I haven't got time to get to the end, will need to save it until tomorrow!
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote