Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 19-01-2016, 18:35   #41
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I've never 'got' sandman. It always seemed a bit of a chore.

Get your library to stock saga. If only for the complaints from mums who took it out for there kids.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 10:22   #42
roddy
Trusted User

Picking up Preludes & Nocturnes from the library today (that is the one to start with, right?) and will see how it goes. If I actually like it I'm going to need to ration myself, or I'll binge-read and not get anything else done.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 13:04   #43
bronso
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Picking up Preludes & Nocturnes from the library today (that is the one to start with, right?)
In the sense that it's the first volume, yes. In terms of being the best starting point... perhaps not. The series is definitely not fully formed right out of the gate. You could almost consider each chapter of the first storyline an independent experiment towards figuring out what Sandman was going to be, and it doesn't actually find something it would stick with until the next couple of issues ("The Sound of Her Wings" and "Tales in the Sand"). So even if you're not quite sold on it after P&N, at least give the second volume (The Doll's House) a try.
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 13:11   #44
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Yeah I would have recommended starting with Doll's House and then reading Preludes after (reading Tarantino style!) It's how I read it, found Doll's House a great book and loved it and was thirsty to learn more so hit preludes with eagerness. General opinion seems to be preludes & nocturnes is a slow start out of the gate.

But you are right it is one long story in general so books cant be read in any order.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 17:46   #45
wingwing
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
I've never read comics/graphic novels before, something didn't appeal.
Damn! And me thinking *I* had a sad childhood.

With the notable exception of classic (pre-1990) Disney, the best comic book stuff is made in Europe - this is especially true for you, given your stated preferences ("no superheroes").

Try some Asterix, Lucky Luke, Tintin, Blueberry, Quest for the Time Bird, Gaston Lagaffe, Spirou, Leonard, Iznogoud, Achille Talon, Groo, Hombre, Inspector Canardo, Jeremiah, Judge Dredd (that's the classic UK stories which are meant to be sarcastic political satire, not the U.S. crap which misses the whole point of the original and turns it into another superhero book), Michel Vaillant, mostly everything by Moebius, mostly everything by Jodorowsky, Smurfs, Slaine, Valerian, The Bluecoats, The Incal and Metabarons, The Mini Girls, Thorgal...

Note 1: Wherever possible, avoid anything published by a certain "Cinebook" - their releases are censored.

Note 2: You may be lead to think that some of the titles mentioned above are "for children" only. Think twice, give them a try!
wingwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 21:32   #46
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Whereas I'd say go vertigo. Try an Alan Moore classic. If you like tarantino give Garth Ennis a try, similar blood & black humour.
Old 25-01-2016, 10:10   #47
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Wheras I'd say Vertigo have lost their way a lot recently and all top creators have jumped ship too Image comics. Walking Dead, Saga, Wythches, Sex Criminals, Wicked and Divine, Southern Bstards, I Hate Fairyland, Phonograme, Fade out. plus loads more.

There's a reason why they now sell more Graphic Novels than Marvel.
Old 25-01-2016, 13:45   #48
cliff homewood
Trusted User

When I think Vertigo I think of perhaps their golden period, haven't caught up with vertigo for a while and been meaning to, tried the new dedwardians a while back and enjoyed it and wanted to get the next TPB but then there wasn't one?

Tried and liked Sex Criminals a year or so back, so that was image?

When I think Vertigo I think Hellblazer (still got to try Constantine, when I see the TPBs going cheap I will), Shade the changing man, Swamp Thing by Alan Moore, Preacher, The Invisibles as I said probably their greatest hits, but that period is where my love came from. At the mo int he wilderness trying to find more great comics of that sort of quality. Often see recommendations, try them and they are not for me (Saga), or are enjoyable enough but not special like those of that list are (Chew).

Yesterday on some website or other saw Black Hole by Charles Burns recommended so may have to try, but then the film Ghost World didn't impress me, so his style may not be for me. Certainly never got Love & Rockets but did love some indie fare like Concrete. Tried Al Davison's work a little while back but was only ok, unlike Madison Clell's Cuckoo which was superb (which seems pretty unknown, about having Multiple Personality Syndrome).
Old 25-01-2016, 14:31   #49
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Vertigo are still putting out good stuff. I think they just lost sight a bit during all the batman films, tv series and trying to re-launch their main (DC) characters to compete with the Marvel juggernaut (such as ending hellblazer and re-creating constantine for example). They are seemingly doing a lot more miniseries runs under vertigo rather than ongoing. I think out of their current ongoing, Astro City is well worth a look that's ongoing.

So they are still there doing good stuff (imho) but DC seem to have put as many eggs as they can in the DC basket and left vertigo out in the rain
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 14:38   #50
MaxNutter

I love Wicked and Divine and Phonograme...
Old 25-01-2016, 15:22   #51
bronso
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
When I think Vertigo I think Hellblazer (still got to try Constantine, when I see the TPBs going cheap I will), Shade the changing man, Swamp Thing by Alan Moore, Preacher, The Invisibles
Sandman, Lucifer, Animal Man, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Human Target, Scalped...

Truly a great imprint for 20 years, even if it's not at the forefront any more now without Karen Berger.

Quote:
Yesterday on some website or other saw Black Hole by Charles Burns recommended so may have to try, but then the film Ghost World didn't impress me, so his style may not be for me.
Ghost World is Daniel Clowes, not Burns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfrog View Post
I think out of their current ongoing, Astro City is well worth a look
I've tried to push Astro City two or three times in this thread. Absolutely great series.

Last edited by bronso; 25-01-2016 at 15:23.
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 13:34   #52
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Yep also love Astro City, great series, ddin't know it was still going, last one I read was the story of two brothers, one became a cop and one a criminal. WIll have to see what I've got to catch up on.

Was going to put Transmetropolitan in my list but thought it was Helix. Must have folded into Vertigo then when Helix collapsed. I've tried all of your list bronso except scalped, that's a new one to me, must have been more recent as the rest of your list again are old vertigo classics.
Old 26-01-2016, 13:49   #53
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

I've just started re-reading transmetropolian actually, forgot how good it is!
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 14:24   #54
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

It's also worth mentioning that 2000ad is still going and in particularly strong fettle at the moment.
Old 27-01-2016, 13:51   #55
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Cool I'm a TPB reader myself, so have to wait for 2000AD to put them out, and then for them to get cheap enough or in library. Probably quite far behind on Dredd by now, read Origins and the second one I believe, just got the third to go off that trilogy. Enjoying them though
Old 02-11-2017, 17:07   #56
Kate777
Banned

Frankly speaking, I've never been a big fan of comics. Maybe I haven't found the one I really like. So, thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to find something interesting for me!
Kate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 13:50   #57
cliff homewood
Trusted User

The first question is what do you like, there are comics for most tastes.

e.g.: docs and journalism, Try Palestine or Safe Area Gorzade by Joe Sacco.
biographies try Maus by art Spielgemann
relationship drama - Strangers in Paradise perhaps