Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 09-09-2015, 18:25   #1
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
New Apple TV

So Apple have finally got into gear and updated their Apple TV

Being unveiled now http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/09/app.../#.gkncgw:fhv8

The main inclusion is the much anticipated app store, so expect Plex at some point.

$149 for 32gb
$199 for 64gb

Quite pricey, compared to other media streamers but the potential for the app store and the fancy touch wii like remote could be a winner.
Old 09-09-2015, 18:35   #2
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

The Price may be a barrier to entry for those also looking at the Fire TV, Shield TV, Forge TV and the Roku. If your going to spend $200 you just as well go the whole hog and plump for a Xbox One or PS4 for a bit more.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 18:36   #3
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

That's an insane price point.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:14   #4
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

It's interesting that Apple have decided that Ultra HD isn't worth their time yet. I know that market is still young, but prices of UHD sets are really dropping, despite the lack of content, and with Netflix now having UHD options, Youtube having some, phones available with 4k recording capability (including the new iPhones) and TV services soon to offer content it's gaining momentum and not very 'industry leading' for Apple to ignore it and stick to 1080.

It does seem that the technology in the ATV is overpriced compared to the Shield (better gaming and video tech and 4K/x265 capable) and other cheaper alternatives (all much cheaper but can play the same stuff, if not more due to Apple's restrictions on Apple friendly formats). It'll be interesting to see how powerful it is for gaming, but as they didn't show anything other than a variation on Frogger and an ok Wipeout copy it doesn't seem it'll be anything near 'proper' gaming consoles, or even the Shield TV.

Maybe they think that they use the next year to gauge interest in it and release a new model in a year with UHD capabilities and shift a load more, but had they made it 4K capable it could helped speed up take up in 4K TVs, which would have been good for the market.

The sooner x265 becomes more popular the better too. Even for normal HD it offers much smaller files, so we can have better quality 720 and 1080 with smaller files, which would mean more access and less buffering for people with slower connections, as well as reduced the every growing streaming traffic. Apple could easily have used the new Apple TV to have launched a new HEVC format with the new TV. It would have meant increased storage, running the existing format alongside, but would have had a big reduction in traffic coming off their servers.

Presumably they'd have had to charged even more to put in a better chip for HEVC, and that would have been a harder sell for the Apple faithful (even if they do usually buy whatever they're told they want!)

I'm sure it will sell, even at that price - Apple stuff always does, and I know a few people who'll get it for sure, especially with Apple Music now available on it - but I think the Shield TV is the top of my list for a media player, and I've not seen anything announced that will.
http://nvidiashieldzone.com/index.ph...pple-announce/

So still we don't have a once box does all option....

Last edited by Stevie G; 10-09-2015 at 06:33.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:30   #5
barrynorton
The Falklands are British

It would also have been nice to have 50/60 fps playback on home vids through iTunes.
barrynorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:44   #6
orac
information is restricted

I am a fan of Apple TV and use the 3rd one regularly for itunes sharing, Netflix and a bit of Now TV.

I Watched the keynote yesterday, and in part it was amusing. The gaming is such a gimmick, the harmonix game was so much like Wii stuff, so that will keep someone interested for all of 5 mins then it will never be played again. Crossy Road? rather play it on a tablet. An app store for channels? Roku and others have been doing that for ages! Its nice they have tidied up the interface and dropped the black background - could easily do that on the 3rd gen machine, I bet they won't even though they are still going to sell it.. Siri is good as a better search is always welcome, but I am switching between Netflix regions, so it won't be use to me.

And main issue to me? they have dropped the optical out.. my amp is pre hdmi, so no chance am I replacing that to achieve say 5.1 from Netflix.

Would so welcome this on the 3rd gen - different coloured background, plex channel and bbc iplayer channel. I bet to get those I would need to buy this new apple tv - no thanks.

Films you must see

Last edited by orac; 10-09-2015 at 11:46.
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:46   #7
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

No USB port. Won't succeed. I predict it'll be as popular as the previous attempts (ie: not very)

For Ł100 i've put a fanless mini-pc under my TV with plex on it and do absolutely anything with it.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 17:27   #8
LouBarlow
Retired Member

What is the significance of a USB port? Surely everybody streams their content across a network nowadays?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 17:53   #9
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
What is the significance of a USB port? Surely everybody streams their content across a network nowadays?
Indeed. So why does it need all that storage?

A USB lets you connect a HDD. For cheap.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 18:40   #10
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Indeed. So why does it need all that storage?

A USB lets you connect a HDD. For cheap.
Storage is for apps and games.
Old 10-09-2015, 19:33   #11
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
Storage is for apps and games.
Ditto adding a HDD to a USB port on a Fire TV.
Old 10-09-2015, 21:03   #12
orac
information is restricted

Quote:
Its useful!

I.E. looking at my eldest son holiday photos... put them on google photos and the only way to view them on Apple TV was via airplay mirror (ios device) from google photos app - quality was shocking. Instead plugged HD into Xbox One and viewed them on media player app - photos looked superb quality.

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:09   #13
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I would presume anyone considering an Apple TV would already be involved in the Apple eco-system and therefore their pics would already be on their Macs or iPhones etc. Even if not then I'm sure there will be a Dropbox app or even a Google photos one in good time, allowing access across the cloud.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:37   #14
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
I would presume anyone considering an Apple TV would already be involved in the Apple eco-system and therefore their pics would already be on their Macs or iPhones etc. Even if not then I'm sure there will be a Dropbox app or even a Google photos one in good time, allowing access across the cloud.
Or Plex. Plex is quite happy to stream from the photos on my Mac.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:12   #15
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I'm guessing the number of AppleTV users who are interested in streaming their own content is a fairly small proportion?
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:27   #16
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

That fact they use Apple TV at all suggests they're happy to use an underspeced, over priced limited product. This should sell just fine.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:30   #17
barrynorton
The Falklands are British

At the time streaming my own photos, home movies and photos was my main reason for buying one
barrynorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:41   #18
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to get one if I could stream my own media.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:47   #19
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrynorton View Post
At the time streaming my own photos, home movies and photos was my main reason for buying one
Quite. Are we sure this doesn't do it? All I had to do with the old one was add the media into iTunes. That was a faff mind. Pointing Plex towards where it lives is much easier (and can include iTunes of course).

I'm confused at the product. I'm sure it will sell.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:54   #20
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I'm sure you will be able to, but only Apple formats from Apple sharing devices. More and more people are using NAS drives with various types of media servers and it would be useful if Apple let people make use of those as well as other media formats (such as mkv, flac, etc). Not everyone wants to keep their laptop/mac powered on to access media.

It limits its use, and solely down to Apple's stubbornness, not because it's not capable of payling them.