Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 26-05-2015, 12:18   #1
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Anyone got a portable wireless drive working well with iPad for when travelling, etc

Hi guys

I'm looking for a compact portable solution to allow my wife to watch downloaded TV shows and movies easily on her iPad, but that aren't stored on the iPad.

As the iPad only has 32GB she's limited to a handful of shows and movies, and I'm looking for something that is small and light, but that she can easily connect to her iPad to stream video from it.

I've seen a couple of options for wireless portable drives that look like they have a built in router and DLNA server - has anyone tried any of them?

The best looking one seems to be the Western Digital My Passport Wireless
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472212,00.asp

But I've also seen one from Seagate and one from Toshiba. I know someone who had a Seagate wireless drive for a while, but he doesn't have any iOS devices and only used it for music (and sent it back as it was trying to rescan/index the 40,000 + tracks each time he turned it on!)

It needs to be small, light and fairly idiot proof - ie so she can easily connect to it, open up a media player app and access all the videos, and preferably with bookmark/remembered playback position and played videos.

With mobile storage still stuck in the noughties I'm suprised there aren't lots of simple solutions....!

Thanks
Old 26-05-2015, 12:24   #2
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

I'd be interested in this too.

I love my Ipad, but the lack of SDcard slot / ability to do much with it without a PC hamstrings it.

I'll have to rely on Wifi and Netflix whilst travelling this summer I think.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:20   #3
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Anyone got a portable wireless drive working well with iPad for when travelli...

I have the exact thing : verbatim media share wireless

Paid about £30 from Amazon, it's a box the size of a portable hdd that has a usb port and a sd card slot. Attach any usb drive turn it on and it creates a wireless network with your drive shared on it. It even has an internal battery that powers the drive.

I just plug in a 2tb drive and stick it in the car. Both kids can stream 4gb movie files at the same time without stuttering.

No copying to iPad needed - just stream from the drive, you can copy if you like though

I use Nplayer on iOS as it plays any file format.

I also keep comics on the hdd and can copy them off directly into chunky comic reader without needing iTunes or even my pc on. It's maybe the best bit of hardware I've bought.

Last edited by hookbeak; 26-05-2015 at 19:21.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
KeyserSoze (27-05-2015), rustybin (26-05-2015), Stevie G (27-05-2015)
Old 26-05-2015, 19:38   #4
rustybin

Really like the sounds of that - I'll take a look. (Apologies Stevie for high-jacking your thread).

hookbeak - how would you copy to the Ipad?
Old 26-05-2015, 20:37   #5
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

There's a verbatim app - admittedly I've not needed it. For comics, the comic app itself can connect to the drive and the video player I use (Nplayer) can also just copy them from the drive if you want.
Old 26-05-2015, 20:42   #6
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

What sort of files were you wanting to copy over ? I could test it to see if it works if you like?
Thanked once by:
rustybin (26-05-2015)
Old 26-05-2015, 20:44   #7
rustybin

Mkv files. I just don't want to be relying on wifi whilst I'm away.
Old 26-05-2015, 20:44   #8
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Btw : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CZ0P0PS

Only £26 at the moment
Thanked once by:
KeyserSoze (27-05-2015)
Old 26-05-2015, 20:48   #9
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Just tested using Nplayer. Copied a 1gb mkv across and played fine. Btw you know this device creates its own wifi network? Works anywhere at any time - you're not reliant on any other wifi network
Old 26-05-2015, 20:51   #10
rustybin

Brilliant, thanks for that.

I mean I don't want to be reliant on hotel wifi for entertainment (Netflix / Amazon).
Old 26-05-2015, 20:53   #11
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Anyone got a portable wireless drive working well with iPad for when travelli...

Ah. Gotcha. At the risk of repeating myself though, you can stream movies direct from your HDD - you don't need to copy them to the iPad or convert them to mp4.

Last edited by hookbeak; 26-05-2015 at 20:54.
Old 27-05-2015, 06:12   #12
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

That look useful, but it would mean having that and a portable USB drive to stream movies from (and both would need a charge when running low), so means another device for her to be taking away (she has a dodgy back so tries to travel light).

Does that have a DLNA server built in? I don't want to have to transfer them over to the iPad, I want them to just be able to find them easily and stream directly from the device.

I mostly use AVPlayerHD on the iPad as it can play back pretty much anything other than DTS audio, either copied locally to the iPad through the app or from a DLNA server (eg it finds my Plex media server at home and displays and plays all the TV shows and videos, etc), so they don't need convert to an Apple friendly format. The ownside is that these players are very basic, and no metadata, artwork, etc like you'd get with Plex and Kodi.

Mine are mostly mkv as well (DD audio, I convert all movies I download with DTS to DD with Popcorn MKV Audioconverter as my Sonos doesn't support DTS), plus a few AVC AVIs.

The WD wireless portable I linked to is a portable drive with a built in router (can create it's own network or join another, passthrough, etc) and DLNA server, so it looks pretty flexible, but I'm nervous about how well it performs as a DLNA server. It also has a built in SD card reader (and you can set it to auto-backup when a card is inserted).

I found a video review of the WD. It actually looks pretty cool, but there's little in the video about the DLNA server other than it has one, but he's not tested it with third party apps, and I can't find any other reviews that have either;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N-JgCbroAM

It's quite chunky though (think I'd get the 1TB) - how light is the Verbatim thing?

Last edited by Stevie G; 27-05-2015 at 06:22.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:17   #13
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
Ah. Gotcha. At the risk of repeating myself though, you can stream movies direct from your HDD - you don't need to copy them to the iPad or convert them to mp4.
Is that through DLNA, or another protocol? I can't find any mention of DLNA on the Amazon page for it, only "media sharing", which makes it sound like you need to use their own app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
I use Nplayer on iOS as it plays any file format.
That looks a pretty cool app. Can stream SMB over network too. I'll have to keep an eye out for if it's discounted

Last edited by Stevie G; 27-05-2015 at 06:24.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 09:10   #14
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

I don't know if the verbatim uses DLNA - however in Nplayer and the comic reader i use, it works via SMB.

Some quick points about the verbatim.

1. It's light, weighs virtually nothing
2. it has a battery inside that powers itself, plus the USB device plugged in - so you only need to charge one device. I actually use an elastic band to hold the two together as it's the same size as my WD drive.
3. It most definitely doesn't require the verbatim app.
4. it creates it's own wireless network, it doesn't require any other network.
5. You can stream movies directly from the HDD to your device, no need to copy files across.
6. Battery lasts about 3 hours powering an HDD. In the car i just keep it plugged in to a usb socket all the time.
Old 27-05-2015, 09:16   #15
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Great, thanks. And does Nplayer remember the SMB paths (so you only need to add them once, even when it's been connected to another network and reconnected)?

It needs to be simple as otherwise my wife will have forgotten how to use it each time she needs to!
Old 27-05-2015, 10:18   #16
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Mine requires this :

1. Open app
2. Press SMB
3. Press MEDIASHR (the only option)
4. press WD (my hard drive, again the only option)
5. You're now browsing the HDD. Select a movie and it starts playing.

The only tricky part is the initial config which took my 20 mins to work out (if you decide to get one i'll send you some info if you like) - but this just needs doing once per device. Using the device isn't just a one button operation - i don't know if there's any device out there that'll give you that for iOS but the device is very versatile - with the added complexity that versatility brings - saying that, my kids can do it....

Last edited by hookbeak; 27-05-2015 at 10:22.
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (27-05-2015)
Old 27-05-2015, 10:21   #17
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Thanks Hookbeak. Depends if I can get one out here, or how soon I can get one over here from the UK. I'll have a look in the stores, definately seen Verbatim stuff, just can't remember what or where!
Old 27-05-2015, 18:49   #18
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I was thinking about whether one of these devices existed just today and was about to post something similar!

I think a wireless hub is a good idea as its more versatile than an all in one drive.

So does the vertibim thing plus a HDD/stick essentially make it a NAS?
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:24   #19
SmokeyMcPott

hookbeak, can you tell me how you managed to connect the chunky comic app with the verbatim mediashare?

Thx in advance
SmokeyMcPott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:34   #20
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I got the WD one in the end, which is a bit more expensive but has a hard drive built in. It works pretty well, just creates a local wireless LAN and you connect your device to it, and then use a media player app to access the files from the WDs built in DLNA server. It also has a passthrough so you can connect the WD to another wireless LAN (eg if you are in a hotel, staying at a friend's, etc) so you can still use t'internet when the device is connected.

I would imagine that the Verbatim does similar but without the hard drive?