Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 18-05-2015, 08:53   #1
Dave B
Stock Photographer

Exclamation Cancelled Sky, now trying On Demand

Cancelled Sky Movies and now looking for an alternative for watching movies.

Having looked at all the different services, we are thinking LoveFilm. They seem to have the newest movies and we think we will be more inclined to watch them if we just have to put a DVD in (rather than go looking for a movie, taking a hour to decide then it's too late to watch).

Looking on Netflix, Amazon Prime etc... there was a few movies we might watch but not loads. Lovefilm seem to have the most selection of what we liked.

Any thoughts ?

EDIT: Left the above as posted but now decided to cancel Sky completely and go On Demand and LoveFilm -

Amazon £7.99
Netflix £6.99 + $5 VPN
LoveFilm £7.99
Now TV £9.99 Movies £6.99 Entertainment

Comes to about £45.00 and we are paying £42 for Sky which is due to go up to £47 in July.

Update -

So far we have Now TV movies and Amazon on demand. Waiting for Sky to run out (30 day notice) before we get the entertainment package, pointless paying for it twice.

Loving Now TV as it's like we have Sky Movies back and the kids are loving Amazon more for series rather than movies.

We didn't want to subscribe to them all at once and be overloaded, so adding a new one each month (Netflix is next).

The only downside to all of them is the 2 device limit, Now TV is even worse as you can only have 4 devices registered as well. The 2 device limit isn't a problem as such but it's knowing who is watching what if you want to watch something of a evening.

Dave

Last edited by Dave B; 01-06-2015 at 08:45. Reason: Update
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:18   #2
basegreen
neergesab

Isn't love film now amazon prime? Or do you mean adding the disks by post option?
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:24   #3
Barnacle
Trusted User

Don't Amazon own LoveFilm now ? I would have though the content for streaming would be exactly the same ?

Take a look at Wuaki for moving streaming.
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 12:33   #4
stephen
Trusted User

I thought I'd woken up in 2005 when I read this, I didn't know you could still rent DVDs by post.

How often are you going to watch things? If it's only a couple of films a month then it might be better to pay for two one off Amazon instant video rentals.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:39   #5
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

I'm still using LoveFilm just now as I'm broadband-less for the time being (hoping to rectify soon). It's £7.99 a month, 2 discs at a time and unlimited over the month. They have all the new releases, tv and movies, dvd and blu ray. It's linked to my Amazon account and they have a separate app for your LoveFilm.

It's the only thing my 360 gets used for these days, well that and the kids playing Minecraft.

Plus you do get the extras with the physical discs. Some of the Banshee and Spartacus stuff was good to watch.

Loving it as catching up with loads of stuff. Obviously when I sort out my broadband I'll revert back to Netflix/Amazon Prime, but for me just now I can't fault LoveFilm.

Dave you should have a 30 day trial for LoveFilm. Give it a go and see how you get on. Just remember to cancel within the 30 days if you decide against it.

Last edited by Professor Abronsius; 18-05-2015 at 14:46.
Professor Abronsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Dave B (19-05-2015)
Old 18-05-2015, 15:39   #6
Dave B
Stock Photographer

Sorry not been on all day but as the above post really, it's still going but owned by Amazon.

I just don't get on with the searching for movies when we want to watch something as we seem to spend too long looking and not enough time watching.

When we had Sky movies don't think we ever downloaded a movie in advance, we watched what was on at the time. We did always watch the Friday night 8pm premier though and we kinda miss those.

Dave
Old 18-05-2015, 22:00   #7
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

The disc side (now called Lovefilm by post) is fairly decent but Amazon is slowly running into the ground as it use to be a lot better before amazon took over 100%

I mainly use Netflix for online streaming as its lot better, although amazon instant has some good exclusive tv shows on there.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 22:09   #8
pjg
Trusted User

I'm still with lovefilm - it has much newer movies than Amazon Prime / Netflix but its definitely got worse recently - I rarely seem to get the new releases or my high priority discs any more
pjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 08:57   #9
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I'm still on an ancient Amazon rental plan (£9.99 for 3 discs at a time) from before they were sold to Lovefilm then bought back.

I keep thinking of cancelling it but the price of streaming new movies is much, much higher.

It is frustrating when they seem to treat the priority list as a "Don't send these" list though, plus the increasing number of films that aren't available for rental until some time after the DVD / streaming release.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 09:23   #10
basegreen
neergesab

They are trying to run it into the ground, evidently.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 11:14   #11
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

Not really had any issues regarding the priority list. I have over 100 titles on my main list and I keep 10 at high priority with the rest on normal. Maybe it's because I have quite a lot of older stuff on my list that it's not affected it but every disc I've had has been from my high priority list.
Professor Abronsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 12:15   #12
Dave B
Stock Photographer

Had a look at Amazon Instant video but found it confusing. Not all films are free, some still said you have to pay to rent, is that right or is it because am not a member ?

For instance Wild said it costs £3.50 to rent or £9.99 to buy. But I can get it on DVD for £12.50 with no monthly cost.

Dave
Old 19-05-2015, 15:34   #13
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Had a look at Amazon Instant video but found it confusing. Not all films are free, some still said you have to pay to rent, is that right or is it because am not a member ?

For instance Wild said it costs £3.50 to rent or £9.99 to buy. But I can get it on DVD for £12.50 with no monthly cost.

Dave
There are two sides to it. There is a selection of films that you can watch by paying a monthly subscription with no extra cost per film (the same as a LoveFilm membership except you stream instead of having discs posted). There is also a selection of films that you can watch by paying a one off rental, or buy outright to be able to play forever (well, as long as Amazon let you). You don't have to pay the monthly subscription to watch things you have bought or rented. I have a Netflix subscription for my main viewing, and top it up by paying for Amazon rentals for recent releases. I also have a few films that I've bought outright. I find it useful as I can watch films I've bought on any of our fire TV sticks, or download them to any of our of iPads to watch on the move.
Thanked once by:
Dave B (19-05-2015)
Old 19-05-2015, 15:38   #14
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
I just don't get on with the searching for movies when we want to watch something as we seem to spend too long looking and not enough time watching.
I don't see how it would make any difference. Whether it's Netflix, Amazon Prime or LoveFilm you still have to search out what you want.
Old 19-05-2015, 16:07   #15
Dave B
Stock Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I don't see how it would make any difference. Whether it's Netflix, Amazon Prime or LoveFilm you still have to search out what you want.
Yeah but LoveFilm you do it in advance or you might see a trailer on TV or something and then go and add it to your list.

What we where finding with Sky is thinking, we should watch a movie and then searching through for ages trying to find something.

To be honest I think the problem is too much choice and then not being able to decide.

Dave
Old 19-05-2015, 17:53   #16
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

With Lovefilm, I'm sure they want people to cancel so there is less to kick off when they finally cancel it. Sure they goal is to push everyone to online where rental of new release is £3.50 to £6 (HD) each time or use instant.

Today finally got a high priority rental! first one in ages
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 22:10   #17
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Yeah but LoveFilm you do it in advance or you might see a trailer on TV or something and then go and add it to your list.

Dave
n

You can do it in advance with Netflix too. You just find something press add to my list, then when you go to your list you can see all the things you've added. I'm not sure if Amazon offer the same feature.
Thanked once by:
Dave B (20-05-2015)
Old 19-05-2015, 22:13   #18
stephen
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
With Lovefilm, I'm sure they want people to cancel so there is less to kick off when they finally cancel it. Sure they goal is to push everyone to online where rental of new release is £3.50 to £6 (HD) each time or use instant.

Today finally got a high priority rental! first one in ages
It's jus a fill in service for people who can't get fast enough broadband. They will kill it off as on as they can.
Old 20-05-2015, 08:44   #19
Dave B
Stock Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
n

You can do it in advance with Netflix too. You just find something press add to my list, then when you go to your list you can see all the things you've added. I'm not sure if Amazon offer the same feature.
Didn't know that, Netflix is very hard to find information on. I can't even find what's available on it before subscribing.

Dave
Old 20-05-2015, 09:58   #20
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Quote:
Didn't know that, Netflix is very hard to find information on. I can't even find what's available on it before subscribing.

Dave
Have a look at the Upflix app - It shows you whats been added on a daily basis
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Dave B (20-05-2015)