Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Notices

Old 07-04-2015, 12:26   #261
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I think a fire tv is the way to go I have never used a smart tv that didn't frustrate me they have illogical navigation and are almost always slow to use. The lag is the killer. The fire tv is really nice and fluid. Plus the box will get lots of support from Amazon where as I don't think mandates will continue to update tv's one they reach a certain age.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:44   #262
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

The Now TV box is basically a rebranded Roku, but you can't get Netflix on it.

I use a Roku LT, AppleTV and a Sony Smart BluRay player - I think the AppleTV is probably the easiest to use, but the remote is tiny and easy to lose which could be an issue for anyone of a certain age, so I'd probably recommend the Roku out of those.

I'm getting a Fire TV stick soon so will have an opinion on that
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 18:52   #263
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,466 Times in 977 Posts
One possible negative of Netflix on the FireTV is that my box started reporting a 'Error 103 blah blah' on starting the Netflix app, causing it to quit immediately. The only way I could get it to work again is to go into the system settings and clear the data for the Netflix app, which meant putting in my account info again.

Not exactly user friendly.
kanedaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:38   #264
lardarse

The update last week opened up the USB port - it allows a few things but most importantly video playback.

http://www.aftvnews.com/everything-y...mazon-fire-tv/
lardarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 11:10   #265

My Fire TV Stick arrived today and I've installed Kodi on it easily enough. Seems pretty good for £19.
Old 15-04-2015, 15:12   #266
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake View Post
My Fire TV Stick arrived today and I've installed Kodi on it easily enough. Seems pretty good for £19.
Yep - just done the same, but I think Plex will work more than well enough given that it's a wireless connection.

Amazing piece of kit for the price.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 17:22   #267
redvers
Member? FNARR!

The one I bought for my dad has arrived; need to set up Kodi on it and once everything is tested & working, post it off to him!
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 18:39   #268
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,136 Times in 801 Posts
Just set up the basic Netflix on mine, seems to work pretty well, not as fast as the main box but better than anything else I've got to use.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:43   #269
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Mine arrived yesterday too - took me bloody ages to get it working - in the end it turned out to be a dodgy socket on a mains extension strip I was plugging it into. I wish they'd spent a penny or two on an LED on the stick or the power supply

Anyway - only tried out Amazon Video - much, much faster than my Sony "Smart" BluRay player
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 21:04   #270
stephen
Trusted User

I have just received mine and I'm very impressed. It's far far quicker for Netflix Amazon video and iPlayer than my blu-Ray player and you view box are. They both had a long wait with every button push, the fire stick lets you zip through everything in no time. The 3d games are a bit jerky, but pretty good really considering the price and the tiny size of it.

There were lots of nice little touches. It came pre-registered to my Amazon account, it automatically selected my wifi over neighbours as it was the strongest, and it automatically played an introductory video.

One thing it doesn't support, unless I have missed it, is to apply parental controls based on age rating. You can set it so that the pin is required for video playback, but if would be better if you could set it to play u and pg titles unrestricted, and only require a pin for higher ratings.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 07:21   #271
mikef
Trusted User

I'll be setting mine up fo my son on his TV at the weekend. Does anyone know if you can stream from either an Iphone or an Android tablet to these devices? I'm sure you can but on my Fire TV I've not had chance to look for he pairing optionin the menu...
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 07:43   #272
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I set the parental controls for purchases as well, I think it could be quite easy to buy something accidentally.
Old 17-04-2015, 07:43   #273
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I set the parental controls for purchases as well, I think it could be quite easy to buy something accidentally.
I did the same... Really dislike the way Amazon combines the free and paid for content.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 19:23   #274
stephen
Trusted User

Ain

I've been using mine for a few days and I've had a couple of niggly problems.

Firstly, the output always seems to be 60hz, even when watching iPlayer which I would have expected to switch to 50hz. I've noticed a bit of jerkiness on some panning shots and it seems like this may be part of the reason. The output is set to auto in settings, I didn't want to change it to 50hz as then it would be wrong for playing us programs in Netflix.

The other problem I had is that the picture sometimes freezes for a fraction of second and then carries on again. It seems to happen in lots of different apps and games. It's not a big problem but it can be a bit distracting.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 12:48   #275
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

The fire stick is pretty good - but has issues. Firstly it's a million times better than chromecast, my chromecast has always been a bit rubbish - netflix would drop connection all the time or it's drop off the network altogether. The fire stick is rock solid for me and much faster to do anything with than a chromecast.

The games are a nice addition, my son is pleased he can play "crossy road" whilst he's in the kitchen (which is where i have it), although your options are very limited without a controller.

Spotify is useless. You need to connect an android phone or tablet to use it - all my devices are iOS so it's unusable.

Plex works great, no dropouts and very fast.

The only thing i don't like is that i can't hide stuff i don't want - i will never, ever, ever rent a video on Amazon Prime but i'm stuck looking at them all every time. I'd love to boot to a screen that just shows the apps i have installed, but amazon is desperate to sell me more stuff that the interface is cluttered and untidy.

Performance-wise though, i can't fault it.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 20:15   #276
Listy
Hello meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
The only thing i don't like is that i can't hide stuff i don't want - i will never, ever, ever rent a video on Amazon Prime but i'm stuck looking at them all every time. I'd love to boot to a screen that just shows the apps i have installed, but amazon is desperate to sell me more stuff that the interface is cluttered and untidy.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2782307
Listy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
hookbeak (20-04-2015)
Old 21-04-2015, 09:09   #277
farmroad38
Ho hum...

I set up my Fire Stick last night. It's so much better than the Chromecast as has been said, much more stable and a better interface.

I installed AGK Fire on my phone, which allows me to sideload any apps direct from there to the Fire Stick. I copied over ES File Explorer, and straight away I could access my network share and play video files from it using VLC, which is exactly why I bought it.

I think I'm now going to retire my WDTV as a streaming device and use it just as a NAS, as the Fire Stick gives me everything I used that for, but more reliably.

Has anyone tried sideloading Blinkbox? I managed to install it, but I can't sign in using just the remote app. Looks like I might need a remote mouse.

Edit: Doesn't look like it will work anyway, as apparently it needs the Play Store app to be installed. Ho hum. Being able to play UV copies of films would be good, and the UK version of Flixster doesn't allow that.

Last edited by farmroad38; 21-04-2015 at 09:47.
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:59   #278
zantarous

I installed a number of Android apps via AGK some works okish with the remote but most need a proper mouse or are very limited with remote.
Old 21-04-2015, 11:06   #279
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I just wish it'd do Blinkbox, then it'd be perfect for me.
Old 21-04-2015, 11:10   #280
zantarous

Installing Kodi is the way to go as that has loads of addons that work very well. I have an add-on that gives me access to my Google Play music account, the twitch add-on is much better then the official Amazon app as you can actually search for a game rather then scroll a endless list.

Had a quick look and unfortunately there is no blinkbox add-on.