Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 26-09-2013, 10:58   #61
LooNaTiK
Aaarrrrggghhhh!

indeed! there's a lot of stuff to build on, and im quite looking forward to seeing what capers the team get up to.

i liked the british couple, the hacker girl, phil obviously, and ming-na looks like she could kick some series ass in future episodes.

i wonder if at point we'll get a gentle cameo from stark, or banner or whoever. i assume though, that we wont, as they can't know phil is alive as they'll start distrusting fury... which will probably be a plot point of the age of ultron.

LooN
LooNaTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 11:08   #62
Summerisle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
It was OK. The car was a bit silly at the end but predictable.

Overall I'll give it a few episodes and see where it goes.
Well they do say steal from the best but lifting the, sans time travel element, last couple of shots from Back to the Future did seem pretty lazy. Slightly underwhelming, given the weight of expectations, but no doubt Whedon fans will be filling their nappies at every second of this. Let the hysteria begin.
Summerisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 12:22   #63
Disappearer
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerisle View Post
Well they do say steal from the best but lifting the, sans time travel element, last couple of shots from Back to the Future did seem pretty lazy.
SHIELD had flying cars in the comics way before Back To The Future appeared.

http://http://marvel.wikia.com/S.H.I.E.L.D._Flying_Car
Disappearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 12:40   #64
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

It really needed a double episode as a pilot. It did a good job of introducing the characters, but the plot was paper thin and more importantly there was no threat, or jeopardy which really hurt it.

I see why they went low-key - as the money to mimic the big screen antics just isn't there, but it was *too* low key.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 13:17   #65
Richie
Trusted User

They could've had Agent Coulson sitting in a room for 45 minutes and I'd have been happy! I mean, who doesn't love Agent Coulson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
I also liked how they explained away why all the heroes in The Avengers could talk to each other without earphones. I know it's because everybody noticed and it's a retrofitted explanation but it works well enough for me!
I must've missed that, what was the explanation?
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 15:32   #66
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

It was towards the beinging when the first get into the plane while it's still in the hanger. Something about a tiny surgically implanted bone conduction earpiece
Old 26-09-2013, 18:16   #67
sleepy67
Firefly was crap

On the fence, will give it a few episodes too see where it goes but apart from Agent Coulson nothing really grabbed my attention.
Old 27-09-2013, 13:02   #68
statto
Jedi Master

Was underwhelmed by this. Hopefully it can hit its stride and pick up a bit.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 16:54   #69
Matt_Bro14
Trusted User

Felt like it was written by a Whedon fan-boy trying to be Whedon rather than Whedon himself. Everything felt forced, like the actors were barely keeping themselves from face-palming after every gag.

And it feels more in place with the Heroes universe than the Marvel one. Did it have to all look so cheap and early 00s?

Will try again, see if the cast gel and become more than 2D character pitches, but am unimpressed so far.
Matt_Bro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 16:57   #70
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

I enjoyed it a lot. It was perhaps a little restrained and underwhelming in terms of the storytelling (it felt very "TV-safe"), but the dialogue and humour were great and there were some immediate mysteries which intrigued me. Coulson is great, Mae is great, Skye is fun. Ward is a bit bland at this point.

The thing which caught my attention: Skye arranging the salt packets in a line of 3, and later doing the same thing with the memory cards in her van.

I can't figure out if it's set before or after Iron Man 3. The fact that Coulson knew what Extremis was suggests after, but they also mentioned that they hadn't gotten to the mastermind behind Extremis (Guy Pearce) which suggests before.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 27-09-2013 at 17:00.
LeftHandedGuitarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 21:15   #71
NicolaUK
Trusted User

NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 22:24   #72
Richie
Trusted User

Yeah that's pretty much been the theory since it was announced. Would certainly be fertile ground for big themes and real pathos (if they decide to give the show any depth that is).
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 00:09   #73
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post

I can't figure out if it's set before or after Iron Man 3. The fact that Coulson knew what Extremis was suggests after, but they also mentioned that they hadn't gotten to the mastermind behind Extremis (Guy Pearce) which suggests before.
It's set after for sure, Coulson meant that they didn't get the mastermind who was giving people the centipede implants, which is obviously that doctor woman, but she alluded to a big organisation behind her as well.

I thought it was a bit meh and it could have done with being a double episode but will see how the first few episodes from now pan out.
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 21:02   #74
RomerojpgX
Dead

Not even sure what to say about the Pilot. Not good is a start. Short, rushed and really forced beyond words. Not one thing I thought was close to good.

Compared to the amazement of Firefly, Buffy and Angel I can say its crap so far.

Guess I will skip the rest and see if it even gets a second season.
RomerojpgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 00:40   #75
Guest 61747

Have US 'hour long' dramas finally dropped below 40 minutes of actual running time because that felt really short indeed!
Old 29-09-2013, 09:13   #76
GAmbrose
Trusted User

43 minutes not including credits and the Marvel logo.
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 10:23   #77
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Thought it was fluff, but good fun. Some funny moments (Coulson's entrance & 'Your fireplace is broken' make me chuckle) & nice to see J. August Richards again, but some of it did feel quite cheap. Cobie Smulders looked hotter than she has in the last 4 seasons of HIMYM.

As others have said, it should have been a double episode to settle you into that world.

Overall, it just made me want to watch The Avengers again.

Nice to see the Mutant Enemy logo at the end though. I've missed seeing that weekly. Grrr. Argh. Indeed.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 10:23   #78
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
It was set either after or at the same time. The monitors at one point had the final battle in Iron Man 3 showing ( as the "hackers" had filmed and released it on the internet)
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 18:41   #79
Soprano
Walking the line

I found this very bland and predictable. It was everything I expected it to be plot wise. A pretty cast and of course, a young computer hacker Zzzzzzzz.... The dialogue was cringe-worthy and writing lazy.

I'm likely to watch the first season as I've been a Marvel fan for 30 years, and hope they have a few heroes and villains from the comics.
Old 30-09-2013, 12:14   #80
Guest 85579

Not 100% sure of this but going to give it chance!