Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 16-01-2014, 09:06   #81
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
Currently listening to Led Zeppelin IV , it must be one of the best albums ever recorded ......
Roger Scott did a BBC radio show years ago about the recording of this album which if you are a fan you must listen to. It involved interviews with the band and them talking about the recording process whilst playing the album. One of the best ever hours of radio I've ever heard. I was lucky enough to record it on tape at the time and listened to it loads on my trusty Walkman in my youth
Old 18-01-2014, 10:37   #82
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,007 Times in 841 Posts
Big data lovers - unite and take over !

16 Jan - Explore the history of Pop -- and Punk, Jazz, and Folk -- with the Music Timeline

Thanks to Engadget - Google is mapping the history of modern music

Quote:
It's no surprise that Google has been tracking music uploads, but what's unexpected is exactly what the search giant is doing with all of that info. Interactive maps of music's ongoing journey are charted through Play Music's users' libraries, found over on Google's Research Blog.

You could, for example, trace the ebb and flow of a genre era by era (rock remains one of the biggies while electronica's presence is relatively new), or even identify which release from a band is the most prominent. Looking at the Deftones, their biggest album is 2000's White Pony, and they're near the top of the alt-metal heap overall.

Music nerds could lose a few days poring over the various ins and outs of the soundtrack to their lives, so be careful who you share this with. Perhaps best of all, Google says this likely won't be the last collaboration we see between the research and music teams.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 15:33   #83
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Currently trying out Music Unlimited on their £3 for 3 months offer and not very impressed. The PS4 interface is very stodgy but worst of all I have had 2 disconnects in the first ten minutes of using it. I've not had a single issue with Spotify in months and months of using their service.

Not good Sony, not good.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:53   #84
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Just had an email from Sonos about a new streaming service, Qobuz, which apparently streams FLAC audio.

Not cheap at £19.99 a month though (£9.99 a month for normal 320kbps mp3 audio).

I can't see much about how big their catalogue is, and they'll have a tough time competing with Spotify and the like.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/offers/mu...g-subscription
Old 04-04-2014, 17:14   #85
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Did anyone get onto the Spotify testers for testing Collections? Wondering if it works well. I hope they make it public soon. I'm still not committing to Spotify (paid) until they have them. Just had another month of Rdio expire and now have a six month freebie for Deezer. That doesn't support collections either... but it's free (courtesy of Sonos).

IMO having Collections in Spotify is a massive improvement, and would make that the only other service I need, alongside Amazon Cloud Player for my more obscure tuff.
Old 04-04-2014, 18:01   #86
LouBarlow
Retired Member

What is it?
Old 04-04-2014, 18:28   #87
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

What is what? Collections? It means you can add albums to your own 'collection'. Makes it feel more like your own music. Otherwise I always forget what I've not listened to for a while, what I fancy, etc.

There has been a lot of requests for it on Spotify but they had been dragging their heels with it, but I noticed that they were looking for beta testers back at the end of 2013 and was wondering how it had gone and how soon they're likely to bring it in for all users.

Rdio's looks like this in the browser (tidier in the mobile apps);
Old 04-04-2014, 20:04   #88
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I'm not sure I understand the point - you can already collate albums in the playlist section anyway.
Old 04-04-2014, 20:12   #89
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yeah, but it means you have loads of playlists if you want one for each album. With a collection it holds a list seperate to your playlists. I just prefer it. I've used spotify and rdio a lot over the last year and I just prefer how rdio does it. I tend to listen to albums most of the time, playlists much less often.

One of my friends has all his playlists public. He has a playlist for each album. His playlist list is stupidly big. I don't like that.

Last edited by Stevie G; 04-04-2014 at 20:13.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:37   #90
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ooh ooh! Just looked at Spotify to see if they've added collections and they have! After it updated the desktop app to the new version you can 'save' songs and albums and they get added to the 'Your Music' section down the left, and it's available on the mobile apps as well. I just tested it by adding a few Maximo albums as below;

Very happy now, this is what I was waiting for! No reason to stay with Rdio, time to go back to Spotify now methinks!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:03   #91
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Yeah that was in the iOS version last update. Works well.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:06   #92
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Liking it. It still could do with being able to change how it displays them in the desktop app (ie being able to select lists instead of thumbnails a la Windows Explorer would be nice) but it's great to finally have it. I tend to listen to albums more than playlists so it really suits how I like to use these things.
Old 10-08-2014, 15:33   #93
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Slightly frustrated with Spotify on Sonos. It seems they're no longer bothered with doing anything to support the Spotify Radio or My Music as they're more interested with pushing Spotify Connect on other devices.

I've decided to give Beats Music a (free 14 day) trial. Looks nice so far. The app is tidy and well designed and it seems to integrate into Sonos well, listing my music (ie my collection), radio stations, personally recommended stations.

For anyone using Spotify, it seems they have loosened the checks on US accounts and I was able to change my account from a UK one to a US one and pay with Paypal - I just needed to be connected to a US VPN to pick up a US IP address, but it means getting Spotify for $9.99 instead of £9.99 and not losing any of your playlists, collection, etc.

After the Beats trial I think I'll give Google All Acess a trial as that's supposed to work well with Sonos (apparently you can even 'cast' from the apps to it) and then decide which to stick with long term. Looking unlikely to be Spotify now unfortunately, unless they make those options available themselves or open up the API to allow Sonos to do it.
Old 10-08-2014, 20:23   #94
GregB
Stagger Lee

I'm on a 6 month free trial at the moment and Google All Access works really well with the Sonos.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:24   #95
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Have you found much music you want that's not on there? I guess it's easier to just upload the ones you can't find and not try to upload a whole load of your collection unless you can get it all on there. I have around 35000 tracks in my iTunes, so too many for what Play allows (20,000 still, I believe). I had uploaded lots of stuff but it was quite messy and I've since tidied up the ID tags, especially with compilation type albums which caused the problem (as Play seems to treat each artist on a compilation as a seperate album unless the 'album artist' tag is the same for the whole album! Amazon cloud likewise)
Old 11-08-2014, 12:43   #96
Max Maz
Trusted User

I use Google and it's pretty good, the UI is a bit clunky and they're slow(ish) to add new music. The main thing it has going for it (apart from uploading your own tracks) is that you can listen to music from your device and from the cloud in the same app on a phone. Much easier than flipping between Spotify and MX Pro.

Oh, and it has a few US-centric acts that I can't find on other services.
Old 11-08-2014, 13:08   #97
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

What options do you have for liking/disliking songs? Rdio and Spotify let you 'heart' them, beats does the same but also gives you an option to select 'not a fan of this track' as well. Does it Google's radio options have similar and learn well from them?

Just tried signing up with a US Google Music account but it's not liking my Entropay card for verification. Gah! Not paying £9.99 a month when I can use Spotify, Rdio or Beats for $9.99!
Old 11-08-2014, 13:30   #98
douglasb
Suedehead.

Google music lets you 'thumbs up' tracks, which I guess feeds into your personal algorithms. Just by adding albums I've found it has a pretty decent idea of what you'll like, and that feeds into the random radio streams. I don't know how the other services do it, but the 'I'm feeling lucky' radio option tends to be genre based - so it might give me American punk, then the next time a stream of electro pop or whatever.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 13:51   #99
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, ok, thanks.

It does irritate me slightly when all of them see to struggle with (admittedly few) artists with the same name. Off the top of my head both Willis and Shack seem to have quite different American namesakes and all the services seem to group them as the same. You'd have thought they'd differentiate them in someway, like the The UK Specials and The Charlatans (UK).
Old 11-08-2014, 14:53   #100
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
For anyone using Spotify, it seems they have loosened the checks on US accounts and I was able to change my account from a UK one to a US one and pay with Paypal - I just needed to be connected to a US VPN to pick up a US IP address, but it means getting Spotify for $9.99 instead of £9.99 and not losing any of your playlists, collection, etc.
You have to be on a US VPN every time you use it, or just when you sign up? Sounds like a bit of a ballache for a few quid a month.