Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 30-06-2013, 03:19   #41
hedgie
Sounds That Can't Be Made

I think I got about 95 albums, including a Pop Party album which I bought for my youngest nephew, an album by Simon Webbe (honestly, who is that!?) which I got for the niece and a Grace Jones album which, even looking through my past purchases, I can see I never bought, something must have gone wrong with the matching!

Most are mine and very much appreciated as a freebie, although I wish the marketplace orders had also been included, would have another 30 or so if that was the case.

Very tempted to get in there and spend some cash on a lot of back catalogue stuff that is cheaper than the MP3 now, because I doubt this difference will last very long, just until they've managed to shift excess CD stock. New releases already seem to have a £1+ premium on them compared to the past (most are now over £10 again) and I'm sure this move is to get those who have stuck by CDs to sample the delights of downloading and the Cloud Player. In a years time when a new release is £6 on MP3 and £11 on CD, I'm sure I will be questioning if having the CD really is worth that extra £5.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 07:51   #42
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Nothing has appeared for me since last week.... (only MP3's I had bought from them - not many).
I must have bought over 500 CD's from them in the last ten years...

dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 09:20   #43
Guest 12859
Iron Mind.

I've just discovered Rdio and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm only using the free service on my desktop, but the interface is so easy to use and the recommended tunes that come on are great.
Guest 12859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:54   #44
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Cloud music discussion: Spotify/Rdio/Deezer/Napster/Google Play et al - free &

Having next to no knowledge of cloud music I'm really enjoying my free trial of Spotify Prime. There is something to be said for having millions of tracks on your iPhone at hand at any time. I really think the app is well designed too.

Is Spotify the most comprehensive option for music out there right now?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 13:28   #45
douglasb
Suedehead.

I'm on the basic £5 per month Rdio option just so I can have a quick skim of the new releases.

Two annoyances:

1) The basic deal is web-based only meaning you can't use the Android app, even on wi-fi. Well, you can, but you only get previews of each track. So you just log in with a browser, so it's just an unnecessary hurdle.

2) It does appear to glitch if I scroll or do other stuff at the same time. It's like it doesn't buffer properly - or at all.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 13:38   #46
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Cloud music discussion: Spotify/Rdio/Deezer/Napster/Google Play et al - free &

Really enjoying spotify I must say. Might stick with it after the trial.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01   #47
ajw000
Trusted User

I decided to subscribe to Amazon Cloud Player, but having a bit of issue with the music uploader program. It's meant to check your itunes collection, then match it for songs on their servers, and then upload any that couldnt be matched. The problem is that out of 11K songs, it hasn't matched 6K of them and is now going to take 99hrs+ to upload them! The songs all appear in itunes fine and have all the right tags, so not sure why they aren't being recognised! Anyone had a similar issue?
ajw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41   #48
Bish

Best thing I ever did was pay for Spotify, great way to find new stuff as well as revisiting classic albums you forgot about.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58   #49
LouBarlow
Retired Member

It's brilliant isn't it. Only thing that annoys me is I can't get the Led out yet

Well worth the cash for me. There is something almost mystical about carrying around millions of albums in your pocket, always accessible.
Old 07-09-2013, 18:23   #50
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Been using the google play Streaming service. So far so good. Cheaper than Spotify and combines nicely with your own collection (and what you've been listening too on you tube) so the recommendations are very good.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 21:14   #51
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Cloud music discussion: Spotify/Rdio/Deezer/Napster/Google Play et al - free ...

I thought Google music was the same sort of price? The only things that turn me off it is a lack of dedicated iOS app and there doesn't seem to be the social media integration there yet - I like to share tracks and playlists with Facebook etc. Spotify also seem to still have the edge with the catalogue although I expect that to change given their clout. Will be interesting to see what Apples service offers when it launches.
Old 24-09-2013, 05:41   #52
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Another free 3 month trial for Napster with Stuff mag if any interest to anyone - http://www.napster.co.uk/stuff

Just signed up to trial it with Sonos.
Thanked once by:
dataloss (24-09-2013)
Old 24-09-2013, 10:15   #53
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

if you have the £5 a month Spotify account, you can still use it on the iPad by installing iSwifter and then using the web player (play.spotify.com).

iSwifter costs £5.49 for the full version - the free only allows 10 mins of Flash usage a day...

Edit : photon Web browser is better, (and only £2.50) - just switch user agent to chrome and enable flash. there's a seperate iphone version that i've not tested.

For occasional use it seems to be fine - a little clunky but works.

Last edited by hookbeak; 24-09-2013 at 10:31.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 08:56   #54
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

With Photon and iSwifter, how do they get flash working on the iPad? Do they stream it and process it on their own servers? Or does your iPad do the playback? I could do with one to get Al Jazeera Sports on my iPad (I have a subscription over here but I can't get their iPad app as the UAE store is all in Arabic!) but when I just tested iSwifter it was very blocky and jerky (slightly off topic, I apologise!)
Old 25-09-2013, 09:13   #55
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Yeah they convert and stream. Photon was a lot quicker than iSwifter for me, they work fine for Spotify as it doesn't have a lot of interaction or need much bandwidth.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (25-09-2013)
Old 25-09-2013, 10:07   #56
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, ok. Not sure my connection is good enough to get video streaming on that then... back to square one on that issue...!
Old 26-09-2013, 11:36   #57
FlangeMonkey
WHERE'S MY JEEELLLLY?

Just putting in my 2-penneth's worth. I have been paying for Spotify Premium since Jan. 2012 (previously had the free version for a few years before they started adding too many ads) and for me it's indispensible. Having access to the same playlists on my phone, tablet, various PCs, Squeezeboxes etc. is great.

Whilst Google Play Music is quite nice and a great way to have all the more odd stuff I own accessible immediately that isn't on Spotify, nothing can beat the Radio/Artist Radio function on Spotify for me. It's the most used feature and I've discovered some great music I'd never would have found without it. However the free version of GPM definitely has its place certainly for me in combination with Spotify.

I have a Squeezebox Radio in the kitchen and a Raspberry Pi in the living room hooked up to my receiver/speakers which acts as my media server and also a Squeezebox client (using squeezelite). They can both consume Spotify content using Triode's excellent free plugin for LMS. It's a total no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Having synchronised Spotify streaming from both rooms is a joy.

It's not perfect of course: there are huge gaps in the library available on Spotify, but that's where GPM wins out - using both together gives you the best of both worlds. Being able to fire up Spotify anywhere I am on the release day of a new album and play it at high quality immediately to just see if it's my cup of tea essentially for free (considering it pretty much pays for itself due to all the rest I consume) is glorious.
Old 26-09-2013, 12:48   #58
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Along with Netflix, Spotify is the best thing I've ever subscribed to.
Old 26-09-2013, 12:51   #59
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I'm still flitting between Spotify and Rdio every few months. Rdio lets me have a collection of favourites, Spotify has the better playlist and radio options (although Rdio's is getting better).

Napster seems to have similar to Spotify, lots of playlist options, etc, plus, even though you can't scrobble from it, I can when I use it through Sonos. I have a three month trial on it so I'll see how I get on with all three.

I decided to go for the Amazon player as well, just to be able to upload everything to the cloud (iTunes match and Google Play both have lower limits), so that'll give me everything I want that's not on the streaming services.
Old 26-09-2013, 13:08   #60
douglasb
Suedehead.

I've just switched from Rdio to Google. I found Rdio glitchy on PC (would stutter every time I scrolled or did anything else, although accept that was probably something to do with my connection or PCs). I'm not fussed about playlists (I just listen to albums!) or much of the other stuff and yeah, there's some stuff missing but I never find myself thinking 'I must listen to this NOW!' so if I want to listen to The Beatles I wait until I'm home. But that's just me.

It's amazing the amount of crap that's on there. Joyce Grenfell albums!
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote