Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 28-01-2013, 21:56   #121
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

I always loved the season 3 intro of B5, the only one that was truely epic. Then they changed it for season 4 and 5 and it was nowhere near as good.

Last edited by Roberto; 28-01-2013 at 21:59.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 22:09   #122
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

in terms of how dated they look, i think the big difference is that ds9 is very dark, whereas b5 is very brightly lit so DS9 will (and has) aged much better.

They were both bloody great shows though, I wish something as good as either was on the air now.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 22:19   #123
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Clearly B5 looks the more dated but that happens when you go cutting edge which they did.

I do agree about season 3's intro, it was a true unskippable, I almost wanted to stand to attention, national anthem style during it each week.

and now another classic line, out of context.

"Fine, I'll get a bucket"
Old 29-01-2013, 00:25   #124
alsemail
Bibble....

The episode of B5 where Sheridan is interrogated is genius (Intersections in real time?). It stands out in TV land as being a truly terrifying representation of what real psychological torture and manipulation is as opposed to the normal physical torture which is shown.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 00:45   #125
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V View Post
To be fair, the Dominion was first mentioned about 2/3's the way through season 2, to Quark.
Plus you have to give the showrunners credit for embracing on-going story arcs, they could have easily just sat back and coasted on the usual Star Trek story-of-the-week formula.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 10:18   #126
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco DS9 VS B5

I tried to end this early but the idiots came forth and spouted rubbish and decried all that the other did as trash.

STOP!

Both started POORLY, Both took time to get going, DS9 in episodes B5 with a delay between pilot and series.

But despite this both had good first season episodes and both improved as time went on. I don't think one was better than the other and those of you who do should go to a darkened room and rethink your life.

I saw DS9 and B5 real time, I didn't have the option of catching up with them on DVD I remember bits of the B5 bible being printed in TV Zone or Starburst Magazine before it aired and it was closer to The Gathering than any of the rest of B5, so I really doubt it was used for any of DS9.

I tried Wikipedia it said this:

Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5
The pilot episode aired just weeks before the debut of Babylon 5. According to Babylon 5 creator, J. Michael Straczynski, Paramount was aware of his concept as early as 1989,[19] when he attempted to sell the show to the studio, and provided them with the series bible, pilot script, artwork, lengthy character background histories, and "synopses to about 22 or so planned episodes taken from the overall course of the planned series".[20][21] Paramount allegedly passed on Babylon 5, but later announced Deep Space Nine was in development two months after Warner Bros. announced its plans for Babylon 5.[22] Straczynski has stated that he thinks Paramount may have used his bible and scripts as the basis for DS9's first season.[23] In 1993 he said, "'Okay, YOU (Paramount) know what happened, and *I* know what happened, but let's try to be grownup about it for now,' though I must say that the shapechanging thing nearly tipped me back over the edge again. If there are no more major similarities that crop up in the next few weeks or months, with luck we can continue that way."[22] However, by 1996, Straczynski's views on the subject had moderated, and he stated that he did not believe that Deep Space Nine was "cribbing" Babylon 5 plotlines from his original source material. Nevertheless, he also stated that "a compelling argument" could be made for either side as to whether Paramount was attempting to "co-opt" his series by airing similar material.[20] In a 2011 interview, Deep Space Nine executive producer Rick Berman stated that neither he nor co-creator Michael Piller were aware of Straczynski's concept or any pitch to Paramount, and that the accusation that Deep Space Nine "stole" from Babylon 5 was "comical".[24] Babylon 5's first-run syndicated ratings averaged between 3 and 4% of U.S. households from 1995 to 1997, whereas DS9 ranged from 4 to 5% during the same time span.

While Wikipedia is not 100% accurate this holds the main detail but lets be honest if DS9 copied B5 or vice versa surely the lawyers would have begun litigation?
Old 29-01-2013, 12:23   #127
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

I think the lawsuits never happened because it would've been Joe Straczynski vs Paramount. Remember, even though Warners ended up making it, it wasn't theirs when JMS was shopping it around town (and Paramount had a shufti) so I don't think that they'd have anything to do with any legal action.

If DS9 was a soulless line-for-line knockoff then something may have happened regardless, but the show has always had a strong sense of its own direction, separate from from B5 and some would say apart from Trek in general. Yeah, it no doubt cribbed the basics from JMS' baby, but as a big fan of both shows I can say that it's not like watching a re-run when switching between both, mainly because of how diverse the characters are.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 29-01-2013 at 12:26.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 12:29   #128
Gedalia
Space Monkey

Can I put my hand up and say that overall, DS9 is my second least favourite Trek show? Yes, I enjoyed Voyager more, I said it. Enterprise being the weakest.
Gedalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:00   #129
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Get out.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 29-01-2013 at 13:01.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:06   #130
Gedalia
Space Monkey

My wife happily watched the entire 7 series of Voyager with me about 5 years ago, and then happily watched most of TNG too.

She wasn't in the slightest bit interested in DS9, and frankly, I don't blame her...
Gedalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:11   #131
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Sir, if I had a glove right now I would strike you across the face with it
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:11   #132
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

I remember watching the pilot of Voyager [The Caretaker?] and really enjoying it, thinking it was a great idea for a series but by the end of the first season I'd pretty much stopped watching it. I only watched it sporadically after that, might just have to give them a go on DVD at some point. Robert Picardo seemed to be the only compelling character, at least the only one to stick in my memory. Well apart from 7 of 9 but that's for other reasons.

As for Enterprise; I really wanted to like it......I persevered through that dopey Russell Watson credits sequence every week but only to be mostly disappointed. The actors were decent but the storyline's just didn't grab me and even a hot vulcan with fake boobs and a trout pout stripping off every now and then couldn't keep me interested.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:15   #133
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedalia View Post
Can I put my hand up and say that overall, DS9 is my second least favourite Trek show? Yes, I enjoyed Voyager more, I said it. Enterprise being the weakest.
In some parts of the world you can be stoned to death for holding opinions like this, and justifiably so.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:24   #134
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

He doesn't deserve your hate, he's far too low a lifeform topay attention too

Don't mistake me for a B5 lover alone, I liked all the above and DS9 of all the Trek's by far the most. What really hurts is a total lack of space based sci-fi at the moment and for that matter (other than BSG, and The Clone Wars doesn't count in my book) for the last 10 years. I hope this new web based BSG gets some kind of series as we need something to fill the void. Maybe the 2nd ST movie will spark a TV comeback.

BTW Robert Picardo was on Happy Endings last night
Old 29-01-2013, 14:54   #135
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco Of all Trek & B5

I like most Sci Fi, I really like Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Primeval B5, etc.

but I differ from some in that I rate the trek series diffrently:

ST.OS
ST, DS9
ST. TNG
ST, E
STV
ST. AS

And I like B5 and the rest though the new Battlestar Galatica was a bit too hit and miss for me.
Old 29-01-2013, 20:08   #136
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

After my last post I tried to calm the fanboys down but now I have to set it off again. B5 vs DS9: which had the best regular character?

B5 - that's easy, G'Kar! No character has ever gone on a journey as much as this Narn. At first it looked like he'd be the usual weekly "baddie" but from the moment he gave his first of many legendary speeches (about the ant) he proved to be anything but. From arms dealer to warmongerer to freedom fighter to pacifist to religous icon, he had it all! Add to that his "relationship" with Londo went through nearly just as many changes, right up to what must be the most friendly joint murder in television history.

I could go on for pages about the pain he had to go through (physical, psychological and spiritual) but I'll stop now for others to talk him up.

DS9 - you can't have Garek, he's NOT a regular. So who's that leave, Quark? I guess it has to be Odo, and as much as I liked him (my mum LOVED him) I can't talk as much about a bucket of goo as I can about a space Gandhi.

I now unleash the fanboys. Go at it!
Old 29-01-2013, 21:19   #137
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

I loved G'Kar and Londo, the two best characters on a TV show at the time, and when they were together the screen crackled with tension
Old 29-01-2013, 21:20   #138
Shingster
Trusted User

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a "fanboy" of either show, I haven't seen a single episode of DS9 since it ended, nor have I ever owned a single episode of Star Trek on DVD/VHS. I used to have B5 on DVD (mostly because it could be had much more cheaply than any Trek show) but sold it on years ago now and have only ever revisited the show once.

Just because someone once enjoyed a show enough to now argue for and against it on a forum does not make them a "fanboy" a horribly derogatory term that quite frankly I thought the intelligent discussion in this thread was above. Thank you Roborob and T4V for proving me wrong! And just for the record, for the most part the DS9 vs B5 debate HAS been healthy for this topic!

But regarding T4V's last post, I too agree that G'Kar probably had the best character arc of pretty much any science fiction character of that time (and maybe since).

Last edited by Shingster; 29-01-2013 at 21:22.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 22:13   #139
statto
Jedi Master

I think the gradual dismantling of Garibaldi by Bester was one of the most heart-rending character plots on B5. The way he left him an alcoholic shell of a man was soul-destroying.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 22:42   #140
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4V View Post
B5 vs DS9: which had the best regular character?
You're likely right about G'Kar journey-wise but my favourite regular has to be....

The mighty O'Brien - he's like the anti-G'Kar in that monumental **** happens to him on a bi-weekly basis but he just shrugs it off and goes back to playing darts with Julian over a pint.