Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 18-01-2013, 20:43   #61
statto
Jedi Master

The bloke who plays Gaius Baltar (James Callis) on the BSG reboot is the official Julian Bashir lookalike.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 21:13   #62
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah definitely, he kinda looks like a cross between Alexander Siddig & Henry Ian Cusick!

Remember when Siddig was originally credited as Siddig El Fadil in the DS9 credits, before he westernised it? I thought that was his real name, didn't discover until years later that it was an abbreviation, his full name has got to be some sort of record breaker for an actor starring in a major US TV show:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 23:04   #63
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
I don't think there's really any comparison between Avery Robot Brooks and Royal Shakespeare company veteran Sir Patrick Stewart.
Yeah Stewart did out act just about everyone one on TNG and it really shows in the first season. I just found the character of Sisko to be more human and believable. Picard seems like he was what Roddenbury wanted for the future clean cut and no shades of gray.

While Sisko comes across as a real person.

I have been humming the theme to this show all day think I might watch the pilot this weekend. I took the DVd for a quick spin and man the image quality looks ropy.

I really would have like to see what they could have done on the big screen with this. I recently sat in the audience of a QA that had Ira Behr and Ron Moore on stage talking about DS9 and they seemed so passionate about this and still loved the show.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 23:26   #64
Shingster
Trusted User

Moldiver mentioned this earlier, but I'm sure there was talk about featuring some of the DS9 characters in a trek film around about the time Insurrection came out, I can't remember if they were talking about the film that would become Nemesis or another NG film after it that never materialised.

Crazy thing is, pretty much all of the cast who don't need make-up have aged very well, they don't really look that much older! I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in a DTV reunion film.
Old 20-01-2013, 20:55   #65
Deaks
Not a movie snob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netboy View Post
I remember watching the first episode, it was brought to me on a VHS tape from a friend who was cabin crew with virgin Atlantic, Im a big trek fan it was a revelation, shame I had to wait for the uk airing as this was before file sharing
Lol! I think the Enterprise pilot was the first Trek I got via file sharing, I had all of TNG, DS9 and Voyager sent over from the states on vhs every couple of weeks. It took three years for TNG to appear on British TV!
Deaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 21:00   #66
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaks View Post
Lol! I think the Enterprise pilot was the first Trek I got via file sharing, I had all of TNG, DS9 and Voyager sent over from the states on vhs every couple of weeks. It took three years for TNG to appear on British TV!
We used to get new TNG that way, really awful quality NTSC conversions that looked better if you half closed your eyes.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 21:43   #67
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
I can also highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a really detailed look at the making of the show from the beginning to end. Unfortunately it is now becoming tricky to get hold of:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion
I have this book - signed by Avery Brooks.

When I met Avery, he did seem a little crazy, wasn't that easy to talk to unfortunately.

Needless to say I'm a massive DS9 fan, and echo what everyone else has said in that it is by FAR the best Trek series, and one of the greatest TV shows ever. Happy 20th Anniversary.
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 22:44   #68
Deaks
Not a movie snob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
We used to get new TNG that way, really awful quality NTSC conversions that looked better if you half closed your eyes.
I didn't care what the quality was like. Every time a new tape arrived I'd lock the doors and take the phone off the hook and watch the tape from end to end.
Old 20-01-2013, 22:48   #69
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Back when DS9 was broadcast in the UK, the videotape releases eventually became before the TV broadcasts. I remember buying the second half of season 7 on VHS (fro my local Sainsburys, who always had DS9 in the new releases section) and watching it in one big sitting.

Also, I remember when BBC2 broadcast 'Past Tense', they combined the two episodes into one TV movie without any indication they had, made for a great evening of television!
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 23:02   #70
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

I still have all 89ish VHS's in 1 (and a half) lines along the top of my DVD library so you can see all the picture in the middle, any offers?
Old 20-01-2013, 23:04   #71
dunkle
Trusted User

Well I'm up to best of both worlds part 2 on my tng rerun, then it will be onto ds9

A show I too used to buy on the old 2 eps per VHS system but can remember little about and despite buying pretty much everyone don't think ever watched it after around the point worf joined

All my VHS of this along with every tng VHS was taken to a charity shop many a year back.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 03:11   #72
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Back when DS9 was broadcast in the UK, the videotape releases eventually became before the TV broadcasts. I remember buying the second half of season 7 on VHS (fro my local Sainsburys, who always had DS9 in the new releases section) and watching it in one big sitting.
Some of my fondest memories of watching any TV show was of renting the DS9 (and later Voyager) tapes the moment my local video store got them in, then watching them in the middle of the night with a pack of peanuts!
Old 21-01-2013, 08:55   #73
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,108 Times in 787 Posts
I remember S6 of DS9 and S4 Voyager were in shops to buy before on TV, my mate got the DS9 ones and I the voyager ones. Possibly 2 eps at a time for about £13

Now I'm hesitating over £60 for a complete DVD box set

R
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:51   #74
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco I bought and sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
I remember S6 of DS9 and S4 Voyager were in shops to buy before on TV, my mate got the DS9 ones and I the voyager ones. Possibly 2 eps at a time for about £13

Now I'm hesitating over £60 for a complete DVD box set

R
I got all DS9 when it first came out on DVD at £70 per season so £60 for the whole lot seems much cheaper. I must admit I am considering this as when I moved house I needed Space and some extra cash so I went on music magpie and sold 90% of my DVD, 50% of my CDs, 20% of my CD ROMs. Raising over £1,500 in 5 transactions. This created much needed space and gave me some extra money to get a few things for the house.
Old 21-01-2013, 11:00   #75
Guest 67090

Fantastic show and one of those ones that does suddenly make you feel old when you notice it is 20 years old. Such a strong cast, especially some truly memorable and fleshed out supporting characters, most already mentioned. I rewatched the whole thing on DVD a few years ago and found it even stronger than I remember of rewatch, especially the finale arc and finale which I remember being slightly disappointed with on broadcast. One of the few series I would buy a blu ray release of.
Old 21-01-2013, 11:21   #76
Deaks
Not a movie snob!

We rewatched DS9 a couple of years ago, really enjoyed it. Tried to follow it up with Voyager and barely got two seasons in, too many weak or annoying characters.

I did enjoy Enterprise again recently though, and then read the follow-on novels which continued the story through the Romulan war. They also rewrite the final episode a bit...
Old 21-01-2013, 12:43   #77
Moldiver
Contributor/Reviews

Watched 'Emissary' last night and it holds up really well. The exterior effects still look great, while some of the green screen stuffed could be improved now. Shame it has problems when it comes to HD. According to a forum post I read, the series was shot on film and edited on video. They'd have to redo every effects shot and scan the original film as the video masters are 480i.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/27...for-a-remaster

Shame. Sounds like it would be the last show to get the HD treatment.
Old 21-01-2013, 12:56   #78
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Which is exactly the plan for a potential blu-ray release. That's a very outdated forum post you were reading. It's exactly what they've been doing with The Next Generation, and the results are incredible. The release of DS9 on blu depends entirely on how well the TNG discs sell (and so far, it's been very good).

The big difference with DS9, for later seasons especially, is the use of CGI effects which may need to be completely recreated.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 21-01-2013 at 13:00.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:15   #79
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

OK this is going to be be sacrilege for some people but i do wish they spruced up the effects for TNG a bit like they did with TOS. Some of the early episodes needed it TBH. DS9 is more modern so maybe not needed so much
Old 21-01-2013, 15:31   #80
Roborob
The Mad Bad Cyber Archer!

Location: North of Southpark Village, South Side, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, European Union, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe, This Dimension... I think.
Loco I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
OK this is going to be be sacrilege for some people but i do wish they spruced up the effects for TNG a bit like they did with TOS. Some of the early episodes needed it TBH. DS9 is more modern so maybe not needed so much
The updating of TOS looks fantastic and a blu ray of DS9 would look fantastic. I feel that the FX on DS9 got better as the series went on, but the storylines were still the best of all the series though I felt that Enterprise came close in the last series after a weak start.